Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running it on my mav with the K&N filter with the pre filter in it. Rode in a lot of dust today. When cleaning it up I was gonna check filter and noticed a light dust film in the intake tube past the filter. Any one else running this setup notice this? Is there another filter I could use and do better?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You sure the clamps are real tight? I would also check the billet aluminum adapter if the 4 screws are real tight. I have this intake and was surprised to see that Turnkey put no seal or gasket between the adapter and sheet metal housing. You could be sucking in dust from there.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You sure the clamps are real tight? I would also check the billet aluminum adapter if the 4 screws are real tight. I have this intake and was surprised to see that Turnkey put no seal or gasket between the adapter and sheet metal housing. You could be sucking in dust from there.
A little Rtv black should work!!

Devious PowerSports ,Tyler

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah clamps was real tight. I'm thinking mine had a oring in between the adapter and housing. I will check and make sure. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm running it on my mav with the K&N filter with the pre filter in it. Rode in a lot of dust today. When cleaning it up I was gonna check filter and noticed a light dust film in the intake tube past the filter. Any one else running this setup notice this? Is there another filter I could use and do better?
I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on this one....but.....this is why I personally always shy away from K&N's. Every one I've ever used has slipped a bit of dust...seems like no matter what I do to prevent it. IMO, 3 ply fabric ain't enough. For dusty conditions, you really can't beat oiled foam. I put a Twin Air in mine, but I'm running a vented stock airbox.

Reactions: Chappy227

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on this one....but.....this is why I personally always shy away from K&N's. Every one I've ever used has slipped a bit of dust...seems like no matter what I do to prevent it. IMO, 3 ply fabric ain't enough. For dusty conditions, you really can't beat oiled foam. I put a Twin Air in mine, but I'm running a vented stock airbox.
Yeah I think I'm gonna try something else but use same intake box. Will have to look and see if twin air makes one that will work. Thinking it's 3".

·
Registered
175 Posts
See if AFE offers something with the progaurd 7 media. It's much more effective than a K&N at stopping dirt. Like Scott said, it kinda comes with the territory on K&Ns

Reactions: Chappy227

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Or if you have no other option than oiled pleated fabric, there are other filter manufacturers out there (forget who they are) that make up to an 8-layer media that does MUCH better at filtering. I run one of those filters with an FCI intake on my built 734 Raptor and it does an awesome job of cleaning the incoming air. I've never seen any dust on the inside of my intake with that oiled fabric filter setup.

One of these days K&N will figure out that 3 layers just don't cut it. Any filter you can hold up, look through, and see pinpoints of light is never gonna do an efficient job of filtering. I will never use a K&N on anything I own again! I had to dust and ruin a few motors before I learned that they (IMO) are a POS. Again, some will defend the K&N, but this is just my experience with them. And that was enough to teach me!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Uni makes generic pod filters also, what's the measurements on the K&N? Gotta agree with the guys above, K&N's pass dust!

Clamp-On | Uni Filter

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uni makes generic pod filters also, what's the measurements on the K&N? Gotta agree with the guys above, K&N's pass dust!

Clamp-On | Uni Filter
AFE makes one that's 7 ply looks like that's pretty much the same size as the K&N. It's 3" flange opening. 6" long not counting the flange. 6" wide and goes down to 4" wide.

·
Registered
207 Posts
AFE makes one that's 7 ply looks like that's pretty much the same size as the K&N. It's 3" flange opening. 6" long not counting the flange. 6" wide and goes down to 4" wide.
I have a AFE CAI on my ecoboost with twin pods, mine are the Pro Dry S type...I've been happy with them so far. It's a work truck that's on dirt roads all day so dusty and they've never passed any, just had them out the other day to service them and wiped up in the intake with a white towel and it was spotless! I'll have a look when I get home from work, that sounds like the same size I have. They have the same sized filter in oiled and dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

·
Registered
175 Posts
The AFE dry media is good too

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I am running the AFE CAI on my SuperDuty with major mods and it does great and has never tripped the intake restriction indicator so I know they pass some serious air. I have been running mine for about 3 years now and pulled it and oiled it twice. The filter gets pretty dirty (pre-filter too) but has never passed any dirt/dust as of yet. I will most likely replace my K&N on my Maverick TurnKey intake with the AFE filter......

·
Registered
207 Posts
ImageUploadedByOff-Road Forums1397439892.425963.jpg

AFE Pro Dry S for the ecoboost CAI it's a 3.5" opening, 3.25" on the botom end up to 4.75" on the top of the cone. The filter surface is about 7" long if you can't see pic.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
View attachment 10052

AFE Pro Dry S for the ecoboost CAI it's a 3.5" opening, 3.25" on the botom end up to 4.75" on the top of the cone. The filter surface is about 7" long if you can't see pic.

Cool thanks. I will be giving them a call tomorrow and see what they can do. That's probably the way I'm gonna go.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am running the AFE CAI on my SuperDuty with major mods and it does great and has never tripped the intake restriction indicator so I know they pass some serious air. I have been running mine for about 3 years now and pulled it and oiled it twice. The filter gets pretty dirty (pre-filter too) but has never passed any dirt/dust as of yet. I will most likely replace my K&N on my Maverick TurnKey intake with the AFE filter......
Yeah I would for sure after what I seen this weekend with mine. I will post what AFE says will fit the turnkey intake.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I still think its possible the billet aluminum adapters are not sealing properly against the housing on the inside and/or outside. It surprised me that Turnkey didn't use any kind seal to insure no unfiltered air leakage. Even the front edge of the top cover is not a good seal design. There is no flange to seal along the front and I can see a thin gap between the seal and front edge of the cover.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still think its possible the billet aluminum adapters are not sealing properly against the housing on the inside and/or outside. It surprised me that Turnkey didn't use any kind seal to insure no unfiltered air leakage. Even the front edge of the top cover is not a good seal design. There is no flange to seal along the front and I can see a thin gap between the seal and front edge of the cover.
I'm pretty sure mine had a O-ring on it and it really don't seal against the housing as far as selling dust off. The flange just fastens and the filter hooks straight to it and then the blue hoses fastens to it. It's all one piece. Will try to get a pic of what I'm saying tomorrow.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The piece the filters fastens to is a solid piece til where the blue hose connects up too. No way for dirt to get sucked into the intake here unless hoses are loose. Verified mine are tight.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are 4 screws that attach the billet piece on the inside with the outside with the housing sandwich in between. I took mine apart to do my install. I didn't notice any O-ring but I may have over looked that. I am going to check. Since it's 2 pieces you can have unfiltered air coming from the outside or inside of the intake housing between the wall of the housing and the billet piece.

Im only suggesting you take a look to see if there are any signs of dirt.
I was thinking the billet piece is one piece. When I pull the filter I can only see one piece looking down into the blue intake tube. No signs of being 2 piece on mine. I will double check it. Thanks for the suggestions!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts