Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Montana!

Bought my Mav about a month ago. Being new new to the SxS world, I foolishly told myself I wasn't going to spend any more $ after paying the $17k price tag.....and I didn't......except for doors, winch, rock sliders, trailering cover, street legal stuff (horn, mirror, license plate holder here in Mt) oh yeah and 3 year warranty and soon to be added to the list half windsheild......seriously! Where does it end? I need more time to get out and ride this thing, cause when I'm not riding it, I'm usually on here drooling over all the cool shit U guys are adding to your buggies. :big smile:

In the last month I've put about 120 miles on, and had it on its side in the first 30. I have some coding in my DNA that says I have to wreck something new inside of the first couple of days....(snowmobiles, dirt bikes, quads, and now SxS) doesn't matter what it is, I'll find a way to quickly take the newness off of it:disappointed: At least with the Mav it was in the snow, and I wasn't going fast, so I didn't hurt anything. One thing I didn't know, that's apparently common is when you get a Canned Ham on its side, it likes to squirt oil in the air box. Why is this? Is there a fix for it? My buddy had a renegade with the same issue.

Anyway, long story long, I freakin love my Mav!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hello from Montana!

Bought my Mav about a month ago. Being new new to the SxS world, I foolishly told myself I wasn't going to spend any more $ after paying the $17k price tag.....and I didn't......except for doors, winch, rock sliders, trailering cover, street legal stuff (horn, mirror, license plate holder here in Mt) oh yeah and 3 year warranty and soon to be added to the list half windsheild......seriously! Where does it end? I need more time to get out and ride this thing, cause when I'm not riding it, I'm usually on here drooling over all the cool shit U guys are adding to your buggies. :big smile:

In the last month I've put about 120 miles on, and had it on its side in the first 30. I have some coding in my DNA that says I have to wreck something new inside of the first couple of days....(snowmobiles, dirt bikes, quads, and now SxS) doesn't matter what it is, I'll find a way to quickly take the newness off of it:disappointed: At least with the Mav it was in the snow, and I wasn't going fast, so I didn't hurt anything. One thing I didn't know, that's apparently common is when you get a Canned Ham on its side, it likes to squirt oil in the air box. Why is this? Is there a fix for it? My buddy had a renegade with the same issue.

Anyway, long story long, I freakin love my Mav!
Welcome, I have the same non-stop modding / accessorizing problem.

I would not call oil in the airbox an "issue" on an overturned ATV / SXS. More like a side effect. There is a crank case vent line that runs to the airbox from the crankcase. It is supposed to keep the air pressure neutral in the crankcase. When the engine is on its side or upside down oil can run up through that line to your air box. the fix is to keep it on 4 wheels. Cheers, enjoy your new SXS!

·
Registered
806 Posts
LOL, Good fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, I have the same non-stop modding / accessorizing problem.

I would not call oil in the airbox an "issue" on an overturned ATV / SXS. More like a side effect. There is a crank case vent line that runs to the airbox from the crankcase. It is supposed to keep the air pressure neutral in the crankcase. When the engine is on its side or upside down oil can run up through that line to your air box. the fix is to keep it on 4 wheels. Cheers, enjoy your new SXS!
Thanks for the info. As for keeping it on 4 wheels, you and my wife would agree on that. She had a death grip on the bars the rest of the day! I thought she trusted me?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You could run a roll over line like race teams do for their fuel cells. U could cut the line run tube to the floor so it's below (or even) the crankcase then a ten inch circle and back up to the line so if u roll over the liquid has to climb up the line to get out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good idea. The machine was off in about 15 seconds after it tipped on its side, and back on its wheels in under 60 seconds. Even then there was between 1/4 and 1/2 quart of oil in the air box and filter combined. I've seen and read about all these roll overs and no one says a word about having to change the air filter and clean the air box, also add more oil to the motor.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had a friend that had his on its side for about 4 hours and said nothing about oil in air box. Had my on it side for about 15mins. No oil.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I think if you roll on the pass side it wont run into the air box I guess if your going to roll just make sure its on the pass side lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts