Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Gotcha,I will have to check that. It’s back together now but I don’t want to chance it.I will be fixing before anymore rides.
I don’t want “one more ride”to be my last ride...LOL.
Glad I reached out and received some good advice from people who know before I caused any more damage than what was already done.

·
Registered
217 Posts
One particle of that fine dust is not enough to do damage . A steady diet of small particles is just like sandblasting. Eventually it eroded the leading edge. I would blame the K&N filter. There is a reason why they flow more air.
I would personally never run K&N. Twin air all the way. K&N is well known but not for its filtration.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
K & N is the worst filter to run off road. Back in the day when I raced Pilots tests were done with them and Uni Filters and there is no comparison. Unless you want to replace or rebuild your engine I would not run that Turbo. There are a lot of things I would let pass to get a ride in, this is not one of them!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone had this type of marking on there turbo? 2 or 3 blades have rough pitting on the end of the leading edge. It’s a 2019 turbo r with about 600 miles on it. I’m trying to figure out what’s causing this to happen, or if it’s just normal. I flipped it last week and some oil got into the intake, it smoked for 10 to 15 minutes then stopped. I can’t see oil doing this. Maybe fine dirt particles, or what, I don’t know. It seems to be running fine now. View attachment 252627 View attachment 252627
Hello Savage, thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your accident and truly hope no one was hurt. BRP takes safety seriously. Could you please send us an email to [email protected], we would like to look into this. Please ensure to provide your VIN as well as a reference to your username, or this forum. We are looking forward to hearing from you. Talk soon. Vanessa-BRPcare

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Hello Savage, thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your accident and truly hope no one was hurt. BRP takes safety seriously. Could you please send us an email to [email protected], we would like to look into this. Please ensure to provide your VIN as well as a reference to your username, or this forum. We are looking forward to hearing from you. Talk soon. Vanessa-BRPcare
Do you just copy and paste this BS? I have seen it on multiple threads now almost word for word. Does BRP actually care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well...after destroying my turbocharger I thought I would post some pics. I replaced with new turbocharger. Am looking forward to getting some sand time when the temps come down and things start to open back up.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Do you just copy and paste this BS? I have seen it on multiple threads now almost word for word. Does BRP actually care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just saw this response to my post for the first time, why would BRP reply to my post about the turbocharger just because I mentioned flipping the x3?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well...after destroying my turbocharger I thought I would post some pics. I replaced with new turbocharger. Am looking forward to getting some sand time when the temps come down and things start to open back up.
How did you destroy your turbo?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The intake boot that connects to turbocharger became disconnected. I had a couple of short rides in before I noticed.
Ouch, that sucks, one missed hose clamp and a 2 thousand dollar turbocharger damaged. I made the mistake of buying a K&N cold air intake and it let in enough dirt to damage my turbo. I’m putting together a new air intake system with a UMP air cleaner to move the air intake up to the top of the roof for the engine and clutch. There is just to much dirt and dust coming off the wheels and shock towers and the back to have the intake there! Every time I take the clutch cover off there is so much dirt in there It’s ridiculous, I think by design to milk us for money.

·
Registered
260 Posts
After destroying my turbocharger and sucking some dirt into the motor.......Ya it was awful. I did the oil change today and didn’t see any debris on the magnetic drain plug or in oil filter. I’m sure some damage was done but was surprised that everything looked good for a oil change....would this be normal considering what happened. I would think there would be some debris on magnetic drain plug or in oil filter but everything looked good??
Ive had it out a few times After turbocharger was replaced,it seems to be running as it was before S#&T happened.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
243 Posts
K and N use to be good back in the day. Now it’s just a name. No quality anymore, way better options.

Do not reply to the brp. Last thing you want is to pass along your vin and get red flagged for future warranty. Pretty sure those guys get commission or some crap for turning people in.

One of my first upgrades was a separator. Think it’s needed in a lot of situations. Couple that it’s not is, road riding, trails if alone. Definite for snow, dust, group rides, leave covered trails. I can’t comment on sand. Separator is not a waste of money, that’s for sure.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
315 Posts
S&B Particle Separator for the intake and helmet are absolutely amazing. I only do group rides in very dusty conditions and it's amazing how clean the filter and filter housing is.

·
Registered
260 Posts
K and N use to be good back in the day. Now it’s just a name. No quality anymore, way better options.

Do not reply to the brp. Last thing you want is to pass along your vin and get red flagged for future warranty. Pretty sure those guys get commission or some crap for turning people in.

One of my first upgrades was a separator. Think it’s needed in a lot of situations. Couple that it’s not is, road riding, trails if alone. Definite for snow, dust, group rides, leave covered trails. I can’t comment on sand. Separator is not a waste of money, that’s for sure.
Thanks Clkwrk for the reply but
No warranty for me and I’m running the Afe pro guard 7 air filter and mostly ride Sand. If I rode a lot of dusty dirt trails I would consider a separator but would probably just go with an UMP.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

I had a feeling thats what that BRP stuff was about, but I’m usually suspicious anyway, scum bags offering a hand of help whilst the other hand stabs you in the back!. I think I’m out of warranty anyway, I didn’t buy the extended warrantys because I wanted to add some more horses anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
After destroying my turbocharger and sucking some dirt into the motor.......Ya it was awful. I did the oil change today and didn’t see any debris on the magnetic drain plug or in oil filter. I’m sure some damage was done but was surprised that everything looked good for a oil change....would this be normal considering what happened. I would think there would be some debris on magnetic drain plug or in oil filter but everything looked good??
Ive had it out a few times After turbocharger was replaced,it seems to be running as it was before S#&T happened.
Hopefully you didn’t suck that much dirt/dust into the engine. Maybe you got lucky and just took out the turbocharger (not really lucky 😜). The turb is pretty delicate I think, just dust that got threw the K&N filter ate up my blades in the impeller, I’m hoping it didn’t do any internal engine damage Either. If I have to rebuild the engine someday then so be it. I’m going to rebuild the turbo after I finish designing my new intake system. I’m going to run a 4in pipe to the roof just behind the windshiel, possibly use a scoop there for cleaner air intake, run it threw a cheaper cold air intake filter on the roof, then pipe it down to a 4in intake UMP filter where the stock box was. Then from the UMP 3in out, down to a 2.5 aluminum pipe then the turbo intake. Hopefully it will be a high flow still. I also want to incorporate the clutch intake threw the same system and hopefully I’ll have no dust in the intake or clutch anymore. All I know is that any intake near the back or the shocks has no chance of clean air, dust just circles all around the back And bottom and shock towers. Either get it from the cab or the roof I think. How much was your turbo?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Turbocharger was about 2100.00 brand new.I was close to buying a used one from another member of this forum,but decided to go new.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts