Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this type of marking on there turbo? 2 or 3 blades have rough pitting on the end of the leading edge. It’s a 2019 turbo r with about 600 miles on it. I’m trying to figure out what’s causing this to happen, or if it’s just normal. I flipped it last week and some oil got into the intake, it smoked for 10 to 15 minutes then stopped. I can’t see oil doing this. Maybe fine dirt particles, or what, I don’t know. It seems to be running fine now.
028C9B4B-4032-4BB4-8173-BE300567AC07.jpeg

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
That is not normal!

Looks like some debris went through the turbo compressor blades. The problem is turbos spin like 100,000 rpm and they have to be balanced precisely. Those nicks are going to throw the balance out and soon the center section bearings are going to be toast along with the turbo.

Oil from a roll over would not do that.......debris would.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Looks like jet engine fan blades after ingesting foreign objects. No bueno. Although, we would just blend them.

2018.5 X3 Max XRS // Grove Fabworks, Aftermarket Assassins, Dynojet, CT front end, CA Tech, UMP, HSP, Rugged, Sandcraft, Running Whalen Speed 205

·
Registered
776 Posts

This is in Goodyear az, would need a good looking over for sure but it’s here (I’m not related to that sale in any way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
My turbo was ruined after a small piece of aluminum went thru it. I got a center section free from one of the tuners that do turbo upgrades. They only need the compressor housing, but sometimes people don't wanna screw with that big A$$ snap ring, so the send in the whole thing. Check around. I paid shipping only.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Also, with only 600 miles you might try warranty as long as you haven't done anything to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious...what air filter are you using?
I’m running the K&N filter from powertune, but I’m seriously considering other options. It’s to dusty here in Nevada, there is a fine dirt/oil film on the sides of the intake. But I don’t think fine dust getting threw could mark the impeller like that. It’s hard to see up close, but I ran something over the ridges and it’s definitely rough so mettle has been deformed/gouged/damaged what ever you call it! I’m running the stage 3 with intake/exhaust/aftermarket intercooler and big injectors so I need a good intake not stock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This is in Goodyear az, would need a good looking over for sure but it’s here (I’m not related to that sale in any way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the 2018 turbos the same size as the 2019? Mine is a 2019 x3 Rc turbo r

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My turbo was ruined after a small piece of aluminum went thru it. I got a center section free from one of the tuners that do turbo upgrades. They only need the compressor housing, but sometimes people don't wanna screw with that big A$$ snap ring, so the send in the whole thing. Check around. I paid shipping only.
Can you share the tuner you used? These turbos are about $2K new. If I can find someone who can change out the impeller that would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Can you share the tuner you used? These turbos are about $2K new. If I can find someone who can change out the impeller that would be awesome.
You want a complete center section not just a compressor wheel. Out of respect for the tuner, I will not share their name.

Pickup the phone and make some calls. That's what I did.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m new to this forum, the only tuners I know are here are powertune and EVP, I asked powertune, so I guess I’ll try calling EVP, or maybe it’s just EP.

·
Registered
414 Posts
One particle of that fine dust is not enough to do damage . A steady diet of small particles is just like sandblasting. Eventually it eroded the leading edge. I would blame the K&N filter. There is a reason why they flow more air.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ump and particle separator if you really drive in dust a lot.

2018.5 X3 Max XRS // Grove Fabworks, Aftermarket Assassins, Dynojet, CT front end, CA Tech, UMP, HSP, Rugged, Sandcraft, Running Whalen Speed 205

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I’m new to this forum, the only tuners I know are here are powertune and EVP, I asked powertune, so I guess I’ll try calling EVP, or maybe it’s just EP.
Whalen speed, aftermarket assassins. Both great tuners that use the dynojet powervision.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts