Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Turbo glowing red hot at night

15K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Poeji 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed on the maverick x3 the exhaust half of there turbo glowing red hot in the dark? I’m just wondering if this is normal or do I have an issue I need to fix. sometimes when I stop I hear a squeak for a few squeaks, not sure if it’s the belt or the turbo bearing or something, this just started. If it’s the turbo squeaking maybe that’s why it’s glowing hot.

#3 ·
It's normal for the turbo to get red hot. What is bad is riding hard, then shutting the engine off while the turbo is still red hot.
What happens when you immediately shut the engine off, you stop all oil flow to the turbo. Over time, the oil cooks and burns the oil left in the turbo. As time passes all of that oil will coke up and eventually restrict or block off oil to the turbo bearing. The end result will ruin your turbo, blow out the seals, blow oil and smoke all over and possibly start a fire.
What I do and always have done is once we get to a place to stop no matter how hard we were driving, I always let the turbo "cool down" and let the oil and temp stabilize before shutting the engine off. The majority of people do not do this, and it will eventually catch up with them over time.

#19 ·
It's normal for the turbo to get red hot. What is bad is riding hard, then shutting the engine off while the turbo is still red hot.
What happens when you immediately shut the engine off, you stop all oil flow to the turbo. Over time, the oil cooks and burns the oil left in the turbo. As time passes all of that oil will coke up and eventually restrict or block off oil to the turbo bearing. The end result will ruin your turbo, blow out the seals, blow oil and smoke all over and possibly start a fire.
What I do and always have done is once we get to a place to stop no matter how hard we were driving, I always let the turbo "cool down" and let the oil and temp stabilize before shutting the engine off. The majority of people do not do this, and it will eventually catch up with them over time.
Thank you. I do this and after reading your post I have learned something new and will not be doing that again. I have only done it twice

#4 ·
Listen to desertguy's advice. Turbocharged airplanes, turbo backhoes, turbo diesel trucks, and turbo street cars -- they all need a cool-down period to keep the oil from coking. Many have recommended cool-down times of 2-3 minutes. On my hauler I idle and watch the oil temp drop to a safe temp.

#5 ·
Well this is information that should be given when purchasing any with a turbo. My x3 and my 2019 truck are my first turbos, I never new this. I’m sure I’ve shut the x3 down hot. I took the panel off last night to look at the blow off valve, it was bowing off to mush and I wanted to tighten it but things where to hot (I loosened it recently trying to figure out where it should be adjusted). Anyway that’s when I saw the glowing red hot turbo, it seemed like it stayed red hot the rest of the 20 minutes I was out, novas bright as it was but a steady low glow easy to see because it was night time. I was testing it after throwing some codes last trip out, and I was romping on it allot. I ran the winch to hot and it kept shutting off the engine and threw 5 codes, turbo low boost and low voltage seemed to be the topic. Thanks for the information, I’ll try to let it cool down now.

#9 ·
not when I shut it down, when I come to a stop, not all the time but it did it allot last night. Stop and it idles down and something starts squeaking, if I give it a little gas it stops, then idle and it’s back. But it wasn’t doing it every time. I couldn’t tell if it’s the belt of the turbo area. If you put it I. Park it stops. It’s probably the belt. I’m going to pull the clutch cover today and look around.

#12 ·
Maybe there’s a squeaky mouse making the noise:)

turbos are running at over 1000 degrees .....normal . When you turn the key on, prior to starting you’ll hear the oil pump pushing oil into the turbo . Start you engine when the sound stops .

Attachments

#17 ·
when you hear a bet sequel
its time to clean and inspect the clutches....remove belt clean clutch faces and blow them out
then install belt with the box open check belt operations

#21 ·
there are NO electric oil pumps on any brp toy

Reactions: Macdad260
#23 · (Edited)
t-stat delete is a mistake
add overide switches to the intercooler and radiator
the intercooler will keep the turbo cooler and the radiator will keep the system cooler
both fans come on way too late with stock settings and turn off too soon
and none after engine shut down

Reactions: Mr Ted
#27 ·
I tried that first...wasn’t enough,I spoke with Whalen,it turns out theirs an actual mechanical style thermostat like on regular automobile on the passenger side fire wall in front of the motor..that effects water circulation only...The radiator fan is controlled by a DC switch, The guys at Whalen recommend deleting this one for machines running Higher crack pressure and more boost, they sell a kit to do this, complete with instructions on how to install it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.