Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Can Am x3 XMR Turbo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some insight on tuning specifically from those who have done the 120hp to 172hp conversion. I have a 2019 XMR turbo and currently have intercooler and fan off a 2017, fan override switch, charge tubes, OEM 172hp clutch weights and secondary spring, and for now leaving my stock fuel pump. I’ve been looking around for tuning options. So far I’ve reached out to two tuning companies. First one hasn’t gotten back to me in a week. Second one i contacted said they absolutely can tune my machine but in order to get to 172hp with my set up i would need ID1050 injectors, and without them it would only be 154hp. Does this seem right to anyone?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I believe you will need to upgrade that pump no matter......
And you stock injectors would be fine for 172hp with what you have already

·
Registered
2019 Can Am x3 XMR Turbo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what i understand mine being a 2019 i can run 172hp on the stock fuel pump but if i wanted to go over that, i would need a new pump. I’ve always been under the impression the injectors are the same between the 120 and 172 models.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can go up to the WS160 on Whalen which is pretty respectable power wise on stock 120hp pump utilizing the intercooler/fan. Doesn't matter what year 120hp model you have you will need to update your pump past that or go bigger injectors. I'd recommend just spending the $250 for the pump and go either WS170 or EvoP Stg3 if you plan to stay on pump gas, you won't regret it one bit. I did the same to my 120hp RC and I originally went to the WS160 but quickly upgraded my pump to go with the WS170 tune - it's just the right amount of power in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
WS170 for the win.....
John has an excellent reputation and customer service, fine tunes your "tune" with very quick replies and updates!
You will want to get the PV3 as well. Love mine!
This guy will set you up at a great price:
Trevor-PeakOffroadPerformance

·
Registered
2019 Can Am x3 XMR Turbo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys i really appreciate it. At the moment the fuel pump is out of the equation for me, but something I’m not opposed to doing down the road if i want more. Does anyone know if Whalen or any others do tuning via Ez Lynk platform besides PPEI? I have an ez lynk i use to tune trucks and i have the cable for the can ams for it also and would prefer if possible to use a device i already own, or send my ECU in to be flashed rather than buy a PV3 if i don’t need to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whalen or Evo can both bench flash if you send the ECU to them. I'm not aware of any major tuner using that platform you mentioned. There might be others out there but the top 2-3 tuners have their tunes down so well I personally wouldn't deviate from that myself.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Whalen or Evo can both bench flash if you send the ECU to them. I'm not aware of any major tuner using that platform you mentioned. There might be others out there but the top 2-3 tuners have their tunes down so well I personally wouldn't deviate from that myself.
With the PV3 you don't have to send in your ECU....download and go! plus you have a data logger!
Much better IMO

·
Registered
647 Posts
From what i understand mine being a 2019 i can run 172hp on the stock fuel pump but if i wanted to go over that, i would need a new pump. I’ve always been under the impression the injectors are the same between the 120 and 172 models.
Injectors are the same, fuel pump is not

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
980 Posts
Mine is a 17' with a AA stage 3 tune, original pump, supposed to get about 170ish at the crank, and that turns into about 155 at the wheels. Tune has been super reliable on 91 or 93 octane gas.
I bought the PV3 for the ability to swap tunes as needed, and to read and reset codes if they come up.
If I want another 10hp, I'd need a pump swap. And a new tune for the pump pressure.

Talk to a few tuners, there's a lot of power left untapped in the cars...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys i really appreciate it. At the moment the fuel pump is out of the equation for me, but something I’m not opposed to doing down the road if i want more. Does anyone know if Whalen or any others do tuning via Ez Lynk platform besides PPEI? I have an ez lynk i use to tune trucks and i have the cable for the can ams for it also and would prefer if possible to use a device i already own, or send my ECU in to be flashed rather than buy a PV3 if i don’t need to.
IMO, save your penny's, get a fuel pump, PV3 and tune preinstalled. You can use that PV3 for many other things as well, plus having a nice display.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
IMO, save your penny's, get a fuel pump, PV3 and tune preinstalled. You can use that PV3 for many other things as well, plus having a nice display.
Don't mean to hijack the post, but when you get a pv3 from Whalen and order the tune, does it come pre-installed

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the post, but when you get a pv3 from Whalen and order the tune, does it come pre-installed
Yes, then you can also run it, use the data logger, download it, send it to Whalen and he will fine tune it to your car specific.
Sent mine in one night and had it back the next morning!

·
Registered
2019 Can Am x3 XMR Turbo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So long story short I went with PPEI tuning which they do via the Ez Lynk platform. for right now it'll be tuned to the 154hp and once i change the fuel pump it will be a $50 tune upgrade charge and open the door for even more power when that time comes. The Ez Lynk device can do everything the PV3 can do but with the added ease of not needing a computer as it is a cloud based software which is really cool. Not only that but it works for almost any vehicle as a diagnostic tool. Since I already own an Ez Lynk device it just made more sense for me to get tuning for a device I already own, rather than spend more money and have another tuning device. For those unfamiliar with the Ez Lynk they are very popular in the Diesel Pick up industry for tuning. So anyone that has one for their diesel pick up already, can use that same device to tune their car by just purchasing the tune pack from PPEI. Just figured I would share with you guys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts