Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an XP900 owner and the XP1000 gave me the urge to "upgrade". At first I was dead set on the XP1000 but now that the Maverick is available without any yellow on it, DPS, and QE front diff, I'm giving them a look too. I want to know how they are holding up to mud riders now that they have been out long enough to get some miles on them.

I know the tie rods on the Maverick suck and would be immediately replaced. I also know they had clutch issues and are more prone to overheating than the 900s. What else is there? Do the seats hold water like the RZRs?

I've had my 900 for 2 years. Wheel bearings and water pumps have been my biggest complaints. I am lucky to get 500 miles on them. Reverse chain is always on my mind but I have yet to break one. These parts appear to be the same on the XP1k so I'm sure this would still be an issue for me if I went that route.

I have driven a Maverick (without DPS) so I know roughly how they feel. I like the looks of the console but I do feel a bit cramped in it. I'm sure it is going to be louder and hotter than the XP.

Please no narrow minded Polaris bashing nonsense. ALL of these machines have pros and cons. I'm just trying to weigh them between the Mav and XP.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My question is if you felt a bit cramped in the Maverick why would you consider it? Were you cramped on the XP? My knees hit the dash in an XP900 and I am super comfortable in the Maverick.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is a can am forum so off course people here are going to be more pro can am. With that said when I started looking into sxs I went and checked all the models out and test drove them. When you start spending the money this things are costing I want to feel I am getting my moneys worth, and while the rzrs may perform well they feel cheap and have cheap fit and finish. The can am products have much better fit and finish. Also you can't go wrong with a rotax motor the only problem with it is that the upgrades are not available like they are for rzrs. My two cents buy what fits you best.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I bought a mav because i thought it was a build better. It is solid, so far i have never had a heat issue. I also like the wheelbase for my area. All of the new machines have issues but if you put a new clutch on the mav and have the shocks worked on you will be golden. In my area the can am dealer is better dealer to work with. They just take care of you. It's also a good idea to replace the front tie rods.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know its a Can Am forum and fully expect people to say how much better the Maverick is, but I just dont want to hear from the brand snobs with nothing constructive to say other than "Polaris is junk!". I know the issues with the XP and want to know the issues with the Mavericks. That will be a large part on my decision.

I dont mean that the Maverick/Commander cabin was uncomfortable, but just due to the big console it just felt more enclosed/cramped. The seats and seating position were comfortable. I like the gauges better too. Just having that huge console was different. I'm sure it is something I could get used to but going from the RZR to that it felt odd. I like how open the RZR cab is and dont mind how close the seats are together (unless I'm riding with a big guy) lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In regards to your heat concern, I can tell you that I dynamatted the inside of the engine panels and I can tell you that I don't feel any heat at all. It's even better than my 2012 Commander where I did the same and still feel some heat. This is a non-issue for me and I don't think you should be worried about it either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just wanted to make sure you were aware the coolant/motor doesn't over heat its the interior of the machine gets hot because the motor sits directly between the drivers seat and the passengers seat and all the heat off the motor radiates into the interior of the sxs. But I believe the 2014 machines have made some changes to try to fix/help this out. (not sure if the fix is any good)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
clutch issues are resolved in the late 14 models, like the max anyway, or im super lucky..i heard they had made a few changes to them, so far I don't know of any confirmed cases of clutch issues in the max, or late 14 models with the update. you can always change clutch if you choose to also. max is more bang for the buck, its better built and quality, form fit and function is superior, seats don't hold water from my experience anyways.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Like a few others have commented, I also feel the fit and finish and quality of parts on the Maverick are far superior to the Polaris offerings. I actually demoed a XP1K yesterday and I will admit it felt powerful and had a good suspension setup but it didn't feel any more powerful than the Maverick and actually felt rougher on most terrain than the Maverick. I was really dissapointed in how cluncky and rattly it felt with only 20+ hours on it. The Maverick has a few weak points that are now clearly identifed by everyone on the forums and can be easily remedied with some quality aftermarket parts.

I ride my Maverick extremely hard and it has zero squeeks or rattles. It is just a well built solid machine. I don't plan on buying a new SxS every 2 years, so quality and reliability played a huge part in my decision making process to go with the Maverick.

Personally to me, I looked at the big picture. Power, suspension, features, and quality.

Power- The Maverick is a tick off on power stock vs stock due to the inefficient stock clutching. I remedied that by replacing them with QSC/STM setup. I now feel it is as fast or faster than anything offered right now.

Suspension- The Maverick suspension setup from the factory is not ideal at all. Based on some tuning advice from some shock tuner guru's on this forum, we have a pretty good setup now and if you want to go to the next level, can easily have the Fox Podium 2.5's revalved and resprung with dual dual rate coils for a very reasonable price. The Wildcat has the best suspension in the nastiest of high speed woops but is poor everywhere esle. The XP felt comparable to the Maverick but felt like the rears were too stiff with the stock settings. It could probably be dialed in like the Maverick with some tuning.

Features- I think the Maverick has the best cockpit layout with a driver oriented configuration. The instrument cluster is the best in the industry and easily viewable by the driver. The seats are the most comfortable that I have felt for stock seats. Not the best design as far as storage goes but in my opinion, this is a sport machine not a UTV. If you want the added storage /hauling capability, look elsewhere. I am 6'2" and I have plenty of leg and shoulder room as compared to the XP. The XP has very little space for your feet.....I didn't feel comfortable in the XP. The seat bottom felt about 2" to short and my knees hit the door frame and the edge of the dash trim piece and there was no where to put your non-drive foot!

Quality- I personally feel the quality in the Maverick is second to none. As I mentioned previously, I ride the Maverick extremely hard and to it's limits. I do perform regular preventative maintenance as you should with anything but I can say the Maverick feels very solid and does not have a single squeak or rattle. The XP that I drove only had 20 hours on it and it had way too many squeaks and rattles. I would be very dissappointed if I spent $20K on a machine that felt like it was 10 years old. Unfortunately, I feel this is how most Polaris' feel. Another big issue was the flex in the steering colum on the XP. There was way to much flex and movement in the colum for me and in time, I feel the issue would just get worse due to all of the movement. Not bashing on them, just my personal opinion of the quality difference between the 2 makers.

So based on the critieria I personally use to based my decisions on when purchasing a new SXS, the Maverick was either at the top of the list or right there in the chase in every category. I cannot say that about the XP or even the Wildcat. Again, it all comes down to personal preference and what really matters to you. For me, it was a no-brainer to choose the Maverick. I also think you will see there aren't really any Maverick owners that think they made a mistake purchasing the Maverick. Even with the release of the new XP, I am happy with my decision.

Reactions: Triel

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Can Am just release a mud specific Maverick. Might want to check that out, if that is the only riding you do.

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love my 2013 Maverick 1000R and don't regret the purchase what so ever. All my friends Have owned Various Polaris and rhinos. My Die Hard Polaris Friend was quite impressed on how the maverick handles with the mid engine setup. Says it has a lot less of the "pendulum" affect when power sliding on gravel and in the sand. Said the maverick felt more predictable, was more comfortable and had a better fit and finish than any of his Rzrs (Rzr Xp, Rzr S Turbo, Rzr) Said after driving the maverick the Rzr felt like a glorified golf cart where the maverick felt more like a trophy truck. Get the Maverick costs Less, Looks good and has great comfort and control.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Justlooking I can tell you that I am in love with my X RS. I was dead set on getting a 800s as my best friend has had one for 3 years and had very little issues. I waited until the big release date from Polaris for the 2014 models and was very let down that they required me to buy EPS on the 800s and it was going to cost me $15,000MSP for a new model so I took a look at the Maverick as my cousin has a 2013 Commander 800 XT. I ended up getting my X RS for $15,700.00 OTD and have never looked back. The power and quality is 2nd to none.
With saying all that I'll give you the part that your looking for. Tie Rods suck $80.00 replacements and your set. Axle nuts need removed and red locited and cotter pins replaced and troqed to 175 ftps (make sure yours goes that high mine didn't). You'll need a inch pound troq wrench for bead locks. 1st oil change cost around $85.00 if you do it yourself as it requires change trans and diffs at 10 hours next is 200 hours. The heat in the cabin is doable but I may look into that next summer. For the love of god chnage the shock settings to whats on the forums it makes so much of a difference its unbelievable. Gas is 91+ octane plan on buying $100.00 at a time because that's about all your going to need!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not interested in the XMR at that price. I dont like Silverbacks and the air ride is expensive fluff that I would rather not deal with. The XRS DPS would be the model I am interested in.

I do not only mud ride. I like it all...fast, jumping, rock crawling, trails, hills, mud, etc.

How have the bearings, bushings, ball joints, etc been holding up?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I havent heard about any problems regarding those parts. However, I suspect as more guys that ride in water/mud have their vehicles longer, there will start to be issues with bearing & bushing and even electrical. But that stuff will happen with any brand when you ride in mud or water.

In the end, you nee dot be comfortable with whatever brand you choose for whatever your priorities are. However, you certainly won't be the first guy to switch brands I can promise you that.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Only reports on broken axles have been from hard core racers. other than that, the biggest complaint would be that the shock bushings come dry and need to be removed and greased or they will squeak and also seize up i nthe spherical bearing and are very difficult to remove. Some good quality grease and the problem is solved.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Squeaking shocks is so minor I didn't bother to mention it. The XP1K is have much bigger issues.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
The rzr shocks are the same way you have to grease them But atleast the canam shocks rubber oring is the correct size and doesn't squeeze out of the shock like on the Rzrs

·
Registered
998 Posts
Go with the maverick, I had a 09 rzrs, 11 xp9 and now a maverick and I can't describe how much more enjoyable having a can am over a Polaris is.. I have 3k miles on my maverick and all I've changed is a u joint, cv joint and differential seal and keep in mind I ride hard ... Go with the maverick and don't look back

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The rzr shocks are the same way you have to grease them But atleast the canam shocks rubber oring is the correct size and doesn't squeeze out of the shock like on the Rzrs

Negative......I have had 4 O-rings do just that all ready (all on the rear). Can Am wants $10 each for them. Thats $40 a shock or $160 for all four! So I experimenting with some higher end O-rings that I bought. I have some standard Nitrile (Buna-N) O-rings at 70 durameter hardness, some silicone O-rings also at 70 durameter hardness. And some Fluorocarbon (*Viton®) O-rings at 75 durometer hardness that I am evaluating. Once I am happy with the results, I will start offering these to others at substantially less than the $10 each OEM rip off pricing.

Reactions: Clifs maverick
1 - 20 of 48 Posts