Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in West Virginia riding the Hatfield McCoy Trail system. Yesterday I noticed a smell like gear oil a few short times on the trail but didn't think anything of it. Today we took hard roads back to the cabin and I smelled gear oil strong. I looked back at my transmission vent and it was blowing out steam, when I put my hand under it I could smell gear oil strong! The temp is about 40 degrees out and it is raining so obviously humidity is high. Our average speed was about 25 so I was cruising in Low Range, after noticing the steam I changed to high range and slowed to about 20. It still steamed and stank the rest of the 4 mile ride. has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yep. Your transmission has taken on water. Check your vent line where it leaves the top of transmission. Mine was melted from the heat of the rear head pipe. Seems to be a challenge to keep the water out even when your vent line is in good shape. I am thinking about running a bellows setup to keep some positive pressure in the transmission and rear diff in hopes of keeping the water out. Small bellows were used on the diffs of gen 1 Can-Am quads and they seem to keep the water out a lot better than the vent line setups.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Your transmission has taken on water. Check your vent line where it leaves the top of transmission. Mine was melted from the heat of the rear head pipe. Seems to be a challenge to keep the water out even when your vent line is in good shape. I am thinking about running a bellows setup to keep some positive pressure in the transmission and rear diff in hopes of keeping the water out. Small bellows were used on the diffs of gen 1 Can-Am quads and they seem to keep the water out a lot better than the vent line setups.
I will check the vent line before we ride tomorrow, however my Maverick sees plenty of deep water in Florida and I just so happened to change all fluids before this trip to WV and nothing was milky! But hey, I'll take a new vent line over a seized bearing or worse.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I will check the vent line before we ride tomorrow, however my Maverick sees plenty of deep water in Florida and I just so happened to change all fluids before this trip to WV and nothing was milky! But hey, I'll take a new vent line over a seized bearing or worse.
Yeah the water does not stay in there long, the Trans gets hot enough that it boils out. Still a good idea to change it though, could have been some dirt get in with the water. My Trans seal was leaking a bit so I just changed it, hoping that helps as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts