Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to get some thoughts on this...

Apparently the manual states that you must be completely stopped to transition between 2WD and 4WD (and vice-versa). I have done this a couple times while moving at a relatively low rate of speed (~5 mph) on flat ground with all wheels rotating at the same speed.

How I see it, the only way this could potentially be catastrophic is if the front and rear were moving at completely different rates of speed (or if one was not moving at all) and/or if you were moving fast and tried to make the switch.

Wondering what your opinions are, how you all approach this and if the manual is being overly-sensitive to SOME EXTENT?

Thanks for chiming in - Cheers!

Grant

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was told, with the 2014 you could do it any time you want, just not while jumping. The only time I was told to stop was switching between low and high.
So what's correct?

·
Registered
38 Posts
My sales man told me at any speed. I shift mine all the time under 20 mph. I just left off the gas.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
What does the manual say for the 2014's? I doubt they made any changes in 2014 to allow this.......I agree with everyone else that it can be done but try to keep from doing it while under a load or when the tires may not be spinning at the same time. Some have reported that it will not engage/disengage if you are at full throttle....I usually back off the throttle to a cursing sped and flip the switch and wait for it to indicate that it has shifted in or out of 4WD before getting back into the gas. It only takes a split second to do it.....so far, no issues (knock on wood).

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
but what does your manual say? I know it says come to a complete stop in the 2013 manual.....does the 2014 manual say something different?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
haha.....it is the the pack of "fire starter" that the dealer so graciously puts in every new Maverick glovebox :wink:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
from manual_
The vehicle must be
stopped to engage or disengage
2WD/4WD switch. Mechanical damage
may occur if switch is engaged
or disengaged while driving.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I switch mine back and forth all the time at any speed. Shit I've probably done it as fast as 50 mph. And the ECM won't let it go in or out of 4wd while you are on the gas. If you flip it in 4wd, it will stay in 2wd until let off the throttle completely. I Have never had any front end problems with any of my can am atv's while doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
there you have it...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I usually back off the throttle to a crusing speed and flip the switch and wait for it to indicate that it has shifted in or out of 4WD before getting back into the gas. It only takes a split second to do it.....so far, no issues (knock on wood).
That's how I shift it as well and usually while under 20mph

1 - 20 of 20 Posts