Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the forum but I am looking for some help before I buy a new setup. I've had a YXZ since 2016 and it's time to expand my riding with another machine. I was wondering how long of a trailer would be needed to haul both a 4 seater and a yxz. I'm assuming minimum a 24 footer open trailer?

Also I need to upgrade my vehicle, would a standard 150 or 1500 pull this? I've estimated the towing weight at about 5800lbs (2400 trailer weight, 1500 yxz, 1900 can am weight)... does that sound right?

Any help/advice would be great!

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
1/2 ton does not have the brakes to stop that kind of weight. If you have 30k to buy a sxs buy the right damn truck.

and a search of vehicle lengths will get you the info you need to make a self educated decision

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
3/4 truck at minimum and 25’gooseneck with dove tail. Diesel or gas would be up to you. I drive diesel but have a 1/2 ton gas as daily driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1/2 ton does not have the brakes to stop that kind of weight. If you have 30k to buy a sxs buy the right damn truck.

and a search of vehicle lengths will get you the info you need to make a self educated decision
Wasnt trying to get into an argument, just asking for some advice. That's why I havent bought another sxs yet because I am doing research. Most 1/2 ton trucks have a towing capacity of about 9-10k that was why I asked. Wondering if anyone has the same type of set up and seeing what they went with. Just doing a search of the lengths doesnt me how well they would fit. If you are going to be negative, you didnt have to post anything. But thanks anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3/4 truck at minimum and 25’gooseneck with dove tail. Diesel or gas would be up to you. I drive diesel but have a 1/2 ton gas as daily driver

For a gooseneck, I would assume diesel would be the best way to go

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Wasnt trying to get into an argument, just asking for some advice. That's why I havent bought another sxs yet because I am doing research. Most 1/2 ton trucks have a towing capacity of about 9-10k that was why I asked. Wondering if anyone has the same type of set up and seeing what they went with. Just doing a search of the lengths doesnt me how well they would fit. If you are going to be negative, you didnt have to post anything. But thanks anyway.
not sure where you think im arguing. You asked a question and I answered. Also, how does knowing the lengths not help you decide what length trailer? You cant stack sxs on a flatbed, I guess you can lift one up and drive it under than put it back down sitting on the hood. If that's the case please post a video and pichers of said homologation.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
97 Posts
Give 14ft for the can am 4 seater, measure your sxs and you'll know how long of a trailer you need. Not sure why you would need a gooseneck or diesel? 5800lbs is not that much weight. How much is your current truck rated for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure where you think im arguing. You asked a question and I answered. Also, how does knowing the lengths not help you decide what length trailer? You cant stack sxs on a flatbed, I guess you can lift one up and drive it under than put it back down sitting on the hood. If that's the case please post a video and pichers of said homologation.
I can get a trailer to fit the exact length but people may reccomend longer based on if they've done it before. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Give 14ft for the can am 4 seater, measure your sxs and you'll know how long of a trailer you need. Not sure why you would need a gooseneck or diesel? 5800lbs is not that much weight. How much is your current truck rated for?
I dont pull it with a truck right now, my current towing only has a capacity of 6k, so I know I need to get more towing capacity.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
What do you want a 24’ bumper pull? That’s real smart. You’re the guy that overloads a 1/2 truck going down interstate. We see it all the time. Sharp

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
For a gooseneck, I would assume diesel would be the best way to go
No you can pull a goose neck with a gas truck. It’s up to you. If you don’t go far I would stick with gas but for what I do I chose diesel strictly for fuel mileage while towing. Hell I see 1/2 ton tundras with gooseneck trailers on them. Not smart but personal preference.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
97 Posts
What do you want a 24’ bumper pull? That’s real smart. You’re the guy that overloads a 1/2 truck going down interstate. We see it all the time. Sharp

I never mentioned with which truck. I actually asked what kind of vehicle he has. And what's wrong with a 24ft trailer?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I drive a 2015 Silverado 2500HD and have Big Tex gooseneck dovetail. The deck alone is 28 feet.. I sometimes tow my X3 max and a cousins RZR 2 seater. The toys fit perfect and I also have enough space to add a quad or generator. I believe they round up to 22-23 feet in length.
If you are going to tow something that big and long I would highly recommend a 3/4 ton truck. Everything comes into effect.. towing capability, big breaks to stop, HD frame and a tranny that’s not going to fry on you. Doesn’t have to be diesel truck as a gasser would do the job.
You’re budget is going to be key of course. If you plan on going with 1/2.. just add trailer breaks. Good luck buddy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drive a 2015 Silverado 2500HD and have Big Tex gooseneck dovetail. The deck alone is 28 feet.. I sometimes tow my X3 max and a cousins RZR 2 seater. The toys fit perfect and I also have enough space to add a quad or generator. I believe they round up to 22-23 feet in length.
If you are going to tow something that big and long I would highly recommend a 3/4 ton truck. Everything comes into effect.. towing capability, big breaks to stop, HD frame and a tranny that’s not going to fry on you. Doesn’t have to be diesel truck as a gasser would do the job.
You’re budget is going to be key of course. If you plan on going with 1/2.. just add trailer breaks. Good luck buddy
Alot of people say that gas would do the job, but if we are talking about longer range pulls (2-5hrs) diesel would be more ideal right?

·
Registered
83 Posts
To answer your question, yes. A diesel truck would definitely be the better choice. Not only for its torque & towing capabilities, but its efficiency on the road. Modern diesel engines burn diesel fuel slower and smooth.. The diesel engine is a more suitable choice if towing capacity is critical to your operation. The torque advantage of diesel engines is better suited for pulling heavy loads up steep grades. The relatively high-compression ratio necessary to ignite the diesel fuel (17:1 diesel versus 9:1 gasoline), allows the diesel engine to generate all its torque and power at a lower rpm.
Here is my truck and trailer. Tow’s nice and smooth. The exhaust break works awesome on tow mode.. rarely even use the breaks. I used to have a 1500 LTZ.. I got dis Duramax and I've never looked back.

Sorry if I said too much..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've noticed this is a spendy crowd on this forum. Far too many of the replies you'll get here sound something like "if you can afford an X3, then you can afford the diesel pusher RV with a stacker trailer to tow it with".

You don't need a diesel or a three-quarter ton to pull two SXS's. If you can swing an HD diesel then go for it (it will be better), but a modern half-ton is more than capable of towing 6000 pounds.

Another thing that grinds my gears is when I see a 5000 pound equipment trailer used to tow a 1500 pound SXS. If your empty trailer weighs more than your cargo, you're working way too hard. No wonder these guys think you need a diesel.

This is what I'd be looking at if I needed to haul two SXS's. Echo Trailers These guys make a light duty 26' trailer designed specifically for SXS's. At 2500 pounds, it's about half the weight of most trailers that length (because those trailers are designed to haul much heavier cargo). The only thing I'd change on this trailer would be better wheels and tires. I'd find a way to swap on some 16" light truck E rated tires, then you'd be golden.

I know there will be plenty of people who disagree with my opinions, and that's OK. I may not be the guy you ask how to make 1000 horsepower, but as a truck driver who earns a living hauling cars, this is one area where I can speak confidently.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I get what your saying , but also keep in mind distance traveled. If a person is traveling 2hrs to ride or more and then 2 hrs back or more a half ton truck will take a beating if used in that manner every wkend as most of us ride . If a person wants better fuel mileage buy a diesel truck hands down. A gas truck will normally get about half the fuel mileage as a diesel. Over time fuel costs add up along with wear and tear on the smaller truck. If a person drags that long bumper pull around a few times a year then yeah buy a half ton but for constant use a diesel is the only way to go. So I guess it would come down to amount of use the op plans on towing. The newer 3/4 gas trucks do get better mileage than the old 6.0 gassers. I have both a gas daily and a diesel for towing . Not bragging cause neither of my trucks are newer than06 models. Just saying no need to spend 60k$ on a new truck when older models are responsible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I hear you whole diesel will get better mileage but with my rig at 75 on the highway (2019f250 6.7l diesel) I got an average of 10 mpg over 3500 miles.

Then those are saying the gassers would have been at 5 mpg?

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
815 Posts
Wow the mistake information about 1/2 trucks is enormous. If all you are towing is 5800 lbs which isn't much at all then most modern 1/2 trucks have zero issues with that weight. You can buy a 28 ft utility trailer and tow both sxs with a damn v6 4th gen Tacoma. A half ton truck will have zero issues with that load especially if it relatively new and properly equipped. I've been towing much heavier loads than that with my 08 Tundra for 10 years and transmission brakes engine etc has NEVER had a single issue. My 20ft trailer with x3 max quad is barely noticable behind my truck. Adding another few feet of trailer and a couple thousand pounds does not effect my half ton truck much at all. If you tow heavier loads alot then go diesel but if you are occasionally towing and get the right trailer a half ton truck will be more than enough for 2 sxs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts