Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received and installed the Trail Tank 14.5 gallon fuel tank. Install was very straight forward with no surprises.
Total time to remove old and install new was 3 hours or so. Tank came with a new fuel pump gasket which was a bonus.

Road surface Wood Asphalt Gas Flooring

Showed up with no shipping damage, box was pretty beat up by UPS as usual.

White Headgear Gas Automotive design Personal protective equipment

The Rollover/Vent valve is pre mounted and has a beefier mount by the looks of it.

Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Vehicle Bicycle accessory Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Had to cut the door latch bar a bit as it poked through the frame and couldn't get the filler neck past it.

Wheel Tire Wood Automotive tire Road surface

This is in the factory tank and I think it is an air gap fill neck to make it harder to over fill the tank.
It isn't used in the new tank (I tried but no way to make it fit.)

The fuel pump was really tight in the new tank pushing it into the seal but was really secure and the big nut tightened up nicely.

I put almost all of 3 five gallon cans of gas in so it looks like the stated capacity is pretty accurate.

Just be careful when sliding the tank in the car. It's much bigger behind the center console and if you have installed radios, a winch etc. really watch you don't snag and push on wiring back there.

Well worth the $440.00 and you get 4 more gallons without trying to carry fuel in separate cans attached to the car, a much safer option.

·
Registered
21 X3 XRC
218 Posts
Nice write up. I like that set up. I have an agm exr tank and with simpson seats in it its a pai.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice write up. I like that set up. I have an agm exr tank and with simpson seats in it its a pai.
I didn't go with AGM as I use every bit of the underside of both seats with other shit.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Does it trap any air while filling? It looks like the vent is fairly high.

How many miles before the gas gauge needle moves?

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it trap any air while filling? It looks like the vent is fairly high.

How many miles before the gas gauge needle moves?
Good questions. The low side of fuel the gas light went out at 2 gallons. The gage went full at 8 gallons so pretty close to factory behavior Totally no trapped air while filling. You could super fast fill it, just watch it as when full no air left in the tank. It is natural in color and when I was filling it, I had not put panels back on. I could easily see the fuel pump inside and fuel levels. You can see the edge of the tank in the drivers side. Again it had light hitting the tank but you can easily see the fuel level in the tank from that side.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Is the extra gas accessible for the pump? In other words , designed so that it will pump all the gas out ? I guess if the bottom of the tank isn't any deeper it should be good.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the extra gas accessible for the pump? In other words , designed so that it will pump all the gas out ? I guess if the bottom of the tank isn't any deeper it should be good.
Yes, the depth of the tank is the same. The fuel pump is compressible on springs and fully seats against a recessed indent at the bottom of the tank. It gains a ton of capacity behind the radio area and all the way to the drivers right knee.
Very well designed and molded.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's great news I do have a radio and coms in the center dash if it clears all that I'm in !
Oh, it clears my radio just fine, just watch as you insert the tank into the center. I almost ripped out some different wires that go through the firewall. I felt the resistance, stopped and looked, good thing as fixing those wires would have taken longer that the tank install lol...

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
I saw that also ,that's why I didn't pull the trigger . I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's back in stock soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's pretty nice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the information. You mentioned radios mounted, do you have Rugged or PCI radios with their dash mount? If not do you think it would clear those? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the information. You mentioned radios mounted, do you have Rugged or PCI radios with their dash mount? If not do you think it would clear those? Thanks again
Rugged in the center and clears just fine. Very well engineered, I can't believe Can Am didn't use up that space with the stock tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts