Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,975 Posts
Yes this works for the UPPER but I’m talking about the LOWER. The ball joint has to come out the top (struck from underneath)
correct, the-arm swings and you can swing it pointing straight down. Tie off to opposite side or sammich your wheel inbetween the arms (hint to let air out of tire to get solid connection between wheel and arm and frame). Then wack away like my buddy Tim in the corner of a bachelor part at the Pink Rhino.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I have the Keller ball joints and I carry and extra upper and lower pin in the car. Just need to remember a big ass socket or crescent wrench in order to replace it if necessary.
I have the same 30 minutes give or take and you are up an running again no sweat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the same 30 minutes give or take and you are up an running again no sweat

Interesting. Are you saying you buy two sets, one to install, one for spare parts? Definitely valuable insurance if it plays out that way, but big investment ($1100?), needing some convincing to go that far for non-racing ball joints.

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
A big enough C-clamp and the right size sockets will remove and install ball joints.

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
F-that. We roll Mega style. Dont need no stinkin auto part store. BFH for life
Harbor Freight ball joint kit makes it much easier in the garage.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Interesting. Are you saying you buy two sets, one to install, one for spare parts? Definitely valuable insurance if it plays out that way, but big investment ($1100?), needing some convincing to go that far for non-racing ball joints.
No I bought one set of 4 ball joints and contacted Mr Keller for two spare pins. Nice guy.

Reactions: GloverXRS

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
No you dont buy two COMPLETE sets.

No I bought one set of 4 ball joints and contacted Mr Keller for two spare pins. Nice guy.
Ever brake or know of anyone thats broken a Keller pin?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I haven't broken one, but its happened to others. My guess is incorrect lash adjustment contributed. In any event breaking a pin would end a 5 day NORRA race so I take a spare.

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I haven't broken one, but its happened to others. My guess is incorrect lash adjustment contributed. In any event breaking a pin would end a 5 day NORRA race so I take a spare.
Sounds like you dont want the lash to tight. Have you had to go back and make adjustments to yours. How often do you grease?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Sounds like you dont want the lash to tight. Have you had to go back and make adjustments to yours. How often do you grease?
I'm guessing any broken ones had the lash loosen up on them and they got sloppy. I have to periodically tighten mine, which I do when I grease them. I grease them when I'm doing other prep to the car such as brake pads and wheel bearings.

Its a strong part for sure, I don't think I would bother with the spare pins unless I was in a race situation. Although they are such small parts, having them is no big chore.

Reactions: GloverXRS

·
Registered
10,341 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Were your guys lower Kellers harder to go in than the uppers? The uppers nearly dropped in but the bottoms arent going as easy for me

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
No you can buy just the stud if you want for about $36 for the replacement I believe I paid about $500 total for my 4 Keller ball joints....

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
No you dont buy two COMPLETE sets.

Yes I have have broken one of the pins. And know others that have. Keller makes great products great warranty and top notch service.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts