Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
X3 X DS Turbo RR
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggest thread from “LBR” based on the recent theft of “Ragenmike112’s” stuff...

We have been use driver monitoring / vehicle tracking for over 10 years. After seeing how quickly we recovered a couple of stolen trucks I decided to install some tracking units on some of my stuff.

I have numerous units that I have units on. There are a ton of options out there. There are really only 2 types. Cellular based and satellite based. They are both subscription based, you pay for the type of reporting you want.

Satellite system will work basically anywhere on the planet but does typically need clear line of site to the sky (if it is inside a building or inside a carhauler / toyhauler it likely will not report it’s location (you could get lucky but...). The thought is eventually it gets removed from the trailer and you get a location, with the sat based this happens no matter the location. Typically a more expensive subscription. Different power options available - mine is battery powered - they last ~ 3 years and you get a low battery notice.

Cellular system has way more reporting options and is more cost effective. Downside is the unit has to have a cell signal - so if you are in an area with regional coverage you could be SOL... my cell system hooks up to the battery so is easily bypassed by smart bad guys... but thieves are generally lazy assholes so you likely are still going to get some reports

As you likely know. generally speaking you need a clear line of site for a good GPS signal but you can still get a couple of satellites so that you get an okay position.

All of my units are on the from the same provider so I can log in to a single site and see everything.

Some other points

- Your insurance company should provide a discount.

- You could theoretically just install the unit and not do a subscription and only pay if your unit gets stolen... then activate it.

- lots of install options, figure out what works for you and forget that you have it installed. I won’t be sharing how or wear I have installed my unit. I would suggest installing it and before you finalize make sure you test that you are still getting a signal... ideally find a spot that doesn’t have great signal (poor cell signal or beside a building for the Sat unit).

As I said you will likely have a lot of options locally - GPS / tech shop is a good place to start.

Here are a bunch of options - SPOT jumped into the market a while ago - may be a good option, we use them at work for lone workers (we work very remote on some jobs) I carry my InReach everywhere I go - never had to use it. Likely a different topic!!

Slightly older version on the cell unit but basically the same. I use these:

·
Administrator
3,784 Posts
Thank you for the great writeup! I've had 4 different GPS units in the Amazon list for 18+ months that I occasionally review, and get overwhelmed every time. Have talked to a few people that have them, and everyone uses something different, so it seems.

It's time for me to make a decision on the trackers and monitoring before we go riding one day and come home to.....no home/trailer or the shiny dually that drove away.

This will help me chit or get off of the pot...and thank you again for the thread and PM assistance!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have one in the Can Am at all times when not in my garage. Works great. You can program movement options to alert your phone if it moves within "X" distance from a current location etc. The first morning I moved the X3 from the front of the TH to the rear to fill up the fuel tank, it notified me via text immediately that it had been moved. (about 20 ft.)

It's not hard-wired into the car, so I just move it from the X3 to one of my bikes if I go on a ride. It's about the size of large key fob, and is super slim,,, you can hide it just about anywhere, and live track it via phone app to an absolute location.

Cost was $100 for the unit and the first year's subscription. Works really well. (y)

·
Administrator
3,784 Posts
I have one in the Can Am at all times when not in my garage. Works great. You can program movement options to alert your phone if it moves within "X" distance from a current location etc. The first morning I moved the X3 from the front of the TH to the rear to fill up the fuel tank, it notified me via text immediately that it had been moved. (about 20 ft.)

It's not hard-wired into the car, so I just move it from the X3 to one of my bikes if I go on a ride. It's about the size of large key fob, and is super slim,,, you can hide it just about anywhere, and live track it via phone app to an absolute location.

Cost was $100 for the unit and the first year's subscription. Works really well. (y)
Sounds like a great tracker with being small enough to hide, and not requiring being hardwired into whatever one wants tracked. The mobility of it is a nice feature.....any other info that you could divulge?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I work for a car dealer and we use a company called Recovr in our inventory. It’s a little expensive at $490 cost (we retail it for $1295 cause we’re a dealer lol) but it comes with a $10,000 guarantee if stolen and not recovered. I have one in each of my 3 street cars, one in each of the side by sides and one in my boat. I can track them on my phone. $490 cost is for unit and 3 year service. It’s satellite based and battery operated. Peace of mind. No discount on insurance through Geico.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts