Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cliff notes: has anyone seen damage from pulling other cars with your pull plates? Are their any other options than pull plates?

Even though I have a max I figured I’d post this here being it’s the same for the 2seater and this section gets more traffic. I’ve found myself on almost every trip out in my x3 needing to tow someone back to camp. I don’t have a pull plate yet so another car in the group ended up hooking up. The thing I’m most concerned about on the pull plates is how it’s all tied into the rear suspension. On my buddies Xp4 he has a hook loop that looks like it’s tied into the frame? Will there be any longterm damage caused by pulling around 1800 lbs? Or just keep up on torque specs on the rear bolts?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have not seen anything posted in the last year that say anyone has had problems with the pull plate. I wouldn't worry about too much about the plate vs the wear and tear on on the belt. Make sue to pull in low. Pull plate bolts right to frame. So as long as bolts are tight you are good to go.

I have a stock pull plate and just use my tow strap with 2 solid loops and screw type carabiner. I can feed a loop through the plate, then strap through loop, and then loop and carabiner to wrap around pull point on other car.

And if you can avoid pulling someone else. I have only had a tow a quad about a 1/4 mile out of the dunes with no issues, but if I can I let someone else do the puling, Preferably something not belt driven.

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is the pull plate I use on mine,it also doubles as a receiver hitch for maybe moving your trailer or something light.
The biggest concern is damage to the drive belt,this is where my Razorback Temp gauge comes in handy.
You hate to have to tow anything,but sometimes there's no other choice.
The EMP pull plate is pretty beefy and they run around $90-100.

CIMG4166.JPG

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply’s guys. Is the pull plate the only option out there for towing? Only other thing I can think of is with an aftermarket cage adding something on. Again just to keep things off the rear plate.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The RC's come w/ a pull plate on the back. I doubt Can-am would have put it on there if they had concerns about pulling from that location.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It happened after a pretty hard rip, but my guess is that the stress of the load on the plate from from the receiver contributed to the tear.
20200227_175728.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
I occasionally hit a mud puddle from time to time and imo the Can-Am/S3 rear winch bumper addresses that issue. It ties into the frame and spreads the load out but if you’re not running a winch you may not want it? I think DMX makes one but they seem like some shady guys over there and make to order so expect to wait.
A526B5F8-98A1-4914-BB62-61A89270E495.jpeg
7B1CDE9C-9F60-49FE-AF83-60BD073D6A8E.jpeg
8AC0425B-AF80-48EE-8E1A-63DA91CA58F9.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
It happened after a pretty hard rip, but my guess is that the stress of the load on the plate from from the receiver contributed to the tear. View attachment 252836 View attachment 252836
That’s not your pull plate that’s your frame that’s cracked. Gonna need to get that fixed or replaced ASAP it will cause your radius rods to be at wrong angle and eventually pull the bolt out of frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
i only have an xmr pull plate, just so that i cant pull stuff around with it. in dire need, i will pull someone out of the woods or out of a hole but i wont be hooking anything with a hitch ball on mine. thats what my rancher is for or a defender would be for.

steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts