Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Another shot of the frame gussets and front shock double shear bars. I just welded an X brace from the frame to the stock front upper mount, and flipped the shocks of course- it doesn't look like the reservoirs will hit the plastics, like on the 72"ers. If it does, I'll trim it.
That's how I do it, 3' of 1" tube and done.
Keep the brace forward and you don't need to flip the shocks.
If you want to, slide a thicker wall tube inside the frame where the brace lands at the bottom.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you want to, slide a thicker wall tube inside the frame where the brace lands at the bottom.
Good call. I may do that.
After reading about all the horror stories with broken belts, I installed a 652 belt and added a few goodies from Alba. I also got Alba's wheel bearing greaser. Speaking of grease, I lubed all the splines on the axles and drive shaft and put 1.5 tubes of Jet Pump grease in the steering rack just to be safe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
It’s looking good, the best thing I see is that you are addressing several of the weak points.Unlike the most of us who will never tear ours down far enough to do this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I planned on using the stock exhaust for now, but the stock muffler was tweaked, so I built my own "Full" exhaust. Mostly to free u the space for a future pare tire mount. I don't want it super loud so I got a HPII (Hush Power II) and put it where the cat was- then a right side exit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I'm curious on how the Flowmaster muffler will sound. I wanted to fab up a similar setup. I used to work at a muffler shop in the nineties and we put those on everything. Let us know what you think. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
It's all together and running. Took it for it's first short rip- about 15 miles and all I can say is WOW! this thing handles amazing and has plenty of power for the desert. The exhaust is a little loud for me, I like quiet. I'll probably put a different muffler on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
After seeing an X3 snap the frame at KOH and the recommendation of No Limit, I added these custom frame gussets.

Having a bare frame sure did have it's advantages for your. Nice to be able to brace up some of the areas that badly needed attention. I have used the grade 8 weld on washers before and they do make a difference. Good job.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's all together and running. Took it for it's first short rip- about 15 miles and all I can say is WOW! this thing handles amazing and has plenty of power for the desert. The exhaust is a little loud for me, I like quiet. I'll probably put a different muffler on it.
That's awesome! Congratulations.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Well I took it out for the first real trail ride- 200miles- and it was flawless!! I'm amazed at how neutral the X3 handles: trail braking induces slight understeer and application of the throttle creates predictable, controllable oversteer. I love it!

The only hiccup was a nail in the tire of one of the YXZ's. A plug and some air and we were on our way.

The group consisted of 2 YXZ's, 2 tuned (stage 2 & 3) XRS', a stock '18 XRC and my XDS. We fueled up at about 78 miles and was shocked how much more fuel the tuned rigs used.
172 hp XRC = 5.9 gal
154 hp XDS = 6.1 gal
Stg 2 XRS = 8.0 gal
Stg 3 XRS = 8.9 gal
That's up to 50% more fuel!!!
Is that much more fuel consumption to be expected with a tuned rig?
If so, I'm second guessing getting tune, as my 154 hp seems plenty for desert running and range is important with the longer rides we do.
Maybe I'll just do the fuel pump and the stock '18 172 hp tune. The XRC didn't suck down the gas like the tuned rigs.
It should be noted the tuned rigs were running 32's.
So was it the tires? tune? or both?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
yes, the tuned machines eat the gas. Also if you use 0-1/2 throttle, mileage is amazing. 1/2 - full throttle, better be ready to add gas at 75 miles

are you in Fernley or Fallon?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Thought I would give a little update.
After that first ride I replaced the muffler with a quieter Walker Quiet Flow- much better, but I had to put it where the stock muffler went and added a straight pipe where the cat, then the HPII, was. the exhaust now exits out the left side.
View attachment 204522 View attachment 204530 View attachment 204538 View attachment 204546
other than that I added a horn and PTT buttons on the steering wheel and a 50" light bar.
Mostly, just been driving it ( Now has over 850 miles) and no issues other than a few plugs in the tires- Big Horns (or Big "HRONS" as my rear tires say) are not tough enough for the NV desert. Some ITP R Specs are in my future.
View attachment 204570 View attachment 204578

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
How much $ did you save by doing the rebuild?
I have about 1/2 the $ into it as what a new one with the same upgrades would have cost with all the tax and dealer fees, etc.
Of course that does not count the countless hours I put into it, and I got really lucky finding an entire chassis for $300.
Team Awesome and No Limit also hooked me up big time with many of the parts I needed.

If you don't have the ability (mechanical, welding, etc.) and a good source to buy inexpensive take off parts, it would probably be better to just be patient and look for a good deal on a used one.

I however, enjoyed the rebuild project and now feel confident everything was properly assembled, tightened and greased.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well that didn't take long, good job.
Having a bare frame sure did have it's advantages for your. Nice to be able to brace up some of the areas that badly needed attention. I have used the grade 8 weld on washers before and they do make a difference. Good job.
That's awesome! Congratulations.
Nice job! Where in Nevada are you located?
Thanks for the props guys.
Again, I am soooo impressed with this machine and 100% happy with my choice of an X3 XDS!!!
Btw, I let some of my Popo and Yammi friends drive it and I'm pretty sure they're jealous- haha!!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts