Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned some of this in the new member intro forum, but thought this might need it's own thread.

I bought a totaled '17 X3 XDS at an insurance auction. The right front corner was wasted and both rear corners were hit to a lesser degree. I bought a frame off CL thinking I may cut the front off and weld it in or just swap everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After seeing how damaged the frame was, I decided to do a complete frame swap. For the record, I drilled out approximately 150 rivets and replaced them with rivnuts- total PITA!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Wise move to replace the frame as a whole. I suspect it would be more work to cut off the front clip on two frames and weld one on the old frame than to swap out every thing. To do something like that really needs a frame rework table or some kind of frame jig made up. I streached a frame on one of my Honda Pilots to put a 700 Rotax in it and made up a frame jig to keep every thing square. It was a lot of work . Just sayin!

·
Premium Member
10,444 Posts
A lot of stuff you can get on here. Members selling shocks, basically giving away stock cages, I would upgrade to better a arms. What is your ballpark budget?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Budget is LOW. There's lots of stuff I'd like to do eventually. However, I'm just trying to get this thing going and do reliability stuff that makes sense while it's apart.
A buddy of mine races an X3 XRS and for some reason had spare trailing arms and lower A-arms for a 64"? He also had an extra shock eyelet. He introduced me to Phil Blurton of NoLimitRD, and they sold me a bunch of XRC takeoffs for one of their race builds. Phil is a great guy and gave me a screaming deal on a bunch of essentially new parts:
Bed plastics, intercooler cover, Radiator, overflow bottle tail light, bulkhead/winch mount, intrusion bar, retractable harnesses and a few other misc. plastic pieces I needed.
I also bought a front gusset kit from NoLimit and he pointed out additional weak points he addressed on his race cars.

Engine out.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wrecked X3 already had a few goodies on it, like a 1/2 windshield, aluminum roof, lower doors, mirrors, and a mesh rear window

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hope you got a good deal on this salvage,looks like a LOT of work!
In my younger days,I probably would have done the same thing.:wink:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hope you got a good deal on this salvage,looks like a LOT of work!
In my younger days,I probably would have done the same thing.:wink:
A ton of work but it should be better than new and I'll know every inch of it. I'll have about 1/2 the $ into this as a new one would have been with the same mods. It did have a whopping 27 miles on it!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Your camera is broken. For some reason it takes pictures sideways. My neck hurts :tongue::tongue:
Idk why they all end up sideways. I'm not real computer savvy.

Scary how thin the frames really are.
Very scary. That's why all the gussets and weld washers. I don't plan on racing, but I want it to last.

Partially reassembled- engine about to be installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another shot of the frame gussets and front shock double shear bars. I just welded an X brace from the frame to the stock front upper mount, and flipped the shocks of course- it doesn't look like the reservoirs will hit the plastics, like on the 72"ers. If it does, I'll trim it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts