Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "new to me" 2018 Can Am Maverick 1000R XMR - 2" lift and 32" mudtires....
It had a torq locker installed. After driving it pretty good I noticed it was pulling hard to the right in 4WD, so I took the front-end apart and found that the right front axle had broken within the differential. The part of the axle spline after the lock clip had sheared. So I started playing around and noticed within the front differential of the Maverick on the right side, the splines are MUCH longer than the left side. Within the differential there are actually 2 independent moving sections that accept the splines of the axle. The outer most section is about 3-4 times as long as the inner most section and it seems to freely spin without engaging the driveshaft. The inner most part which is right past the lock clip is tied to the drive shaft, so, when I spin the left wheel, it turns the driveshaft and it turns the inner most part of the right front differential. I wanted to make sure this seemed correct or does it seem like something could be wrong with the driveshaft?

In the image, the axle on the left is the right axle that broke, you can see the broken piece at the end along with the lock clip. You can see how much longer the spline on each of the axles are. the one on the right is the left axle. You can see on the broken axle that probably after it broke, it was still trying to engage a small piece of the axle until it wore out. It just doesnt seem right to me that there is all of that spline but it is supposed to just turn the little end where the lock clip is.

PS - I sent an email to Torq Masters about the locker and they mentioned that the longer spline is due to the Visco Lock which gets disabled when a torq locker is installed. So, maybe this all does make sense.

I appreciate you all's help! Have a great one!
Light Automotive tire Drinkware Household hardware Cylinder

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Very common. Front axles have been like that since Can Am started building Mavericks. Sucks because you can carry one spare rear axle but you need two seperate front axles as spares.

Your lift and the 32's are partially to blame due to the axle angle, second part to blame is a new driver with a new torque locker. You may want to look at limit straps. That axle tends to break in the torque locker when the passenger side tire is at full extension or wedged against a rock. You have to learn to drive correctly with the torque locker engaged. Let off throttle slighty to turn the wheel when its bound up and so on. Dont replace with a cheap axle !

You can stay with oem with no warranty, they are good axles $225, Rhino 2.0, $239 with 18 month warranty with a $50 charge or Gorilla axles $575 with 2 year warranty or pay an extra $100 and get a lifetime no questions asked warranty. Huge tire mudders use Gorilla. Most of the other best of the best axle companies stopped making OG Mav axles.......strange since there so many OG's running around everywhere

1 - 5 of 5 Posts