Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding this past weekend and a group of us were talking about who had done what to their rigs. I asked the million dollar question, at what point is there to many accessories on one battery? I understand the alternator needs to keep up with the demand and charge the battery. For instance on my rig, I have two LED whip lights, 42" LED light bar, 3500 lb wench, and a MTX overhead audio unit that has a 280 watt amp in it. I want to add a sub, do I need a second battery? Is the stock battery just fine? Do I upgrade the stock battery? I was surprised that I wasn't the only one out riding who was clueless on the topic, and even more shocked that people run more accessories on a single stock battery. I have everything set up on my rig (2020 X3 Mac Turbo) to turn off once you turn the unit off so there isn't anything draining the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
625 watts is all the power the stator makes
minus the fuel pump, coils, injectors, dash lights, head and tail lights
your lucky if you have 400 watts left over thats about 30amps @ 13v
any time you draw over about 400wattts your draining your battery

Reactions: Megadesertdiesel

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
341 Posts
Grab a cheap voltage display monitor. Even one of the usb ones. That will let you monitor the situation in real time with what’s on.

In the winter I run the most items. Cab heater on high, heated seats on high, wiper, running/chase light, sb separator, belt temp gauge, gps, radio, That’s during the day. No issues. Nighttime when I put the cubes and headlights on I’m still fine. Big light bar, that’s the tipping point where heated seats won’t get up to temp and cab heater struggles. So no light bar if the heaters on. Turn off everything if I need to use the winch.

I did move to the optima single battery and plan on doing the zrp alt kit this fall before the snow flies.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Was riding this past weekend and a group of us were talking about who had done what to their rigs. I asked the million dollar question, at what point is there to many accessories on one battery? I understand the alternator needs to keep up with the demand and charge the battery. For instance on my rig, I have two LED whip lights, 42" LED light bar, 3500 lb wench, and a MTX overhead audio unit that has a 280 watt amp in it. I want to add a sub, do I need a second battery? Is the stock battery just fine? Do I upgrade the stock battery? I was surprised that I wasn't the only one out riding who was clueless on the topic, and even more shocked that people run more accessories on a single stock battery. I have everything set up on my rig (2020 X3 Mac Turbo) to turn off once you turn the unit off so there isn't anything draining the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Use an Odyssey 1200 and typically you are not running everything at once. The battery will help carry you in the times you may be over, but clearly that has limitations. The stock battery is very small. Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
that's one fat wench you have. Better leave that pig at home, it will net you more hp to run that alternator on your bike.
LMAO!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts