Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I see x3 that have blown out there ball joints,knuckles and arms from lawn darting or just landing to hard. I notice most have 32 or larger tires. So I wonder if the carnage isn't from weak points just breaking but rather the shocks bottoming out before the frame bottoms out on ground and thats whats causes the really bad carnage where both sets of front ball joints and knuckles are destroyed? As if it had some legit bump stops would actually be the real fix for the can am "weak" knuckles and ball joints? Notice in pic no damage to front end, so must not of been a hard lawn dart or no lawn dart at all.. Pic for example, not my x3..
Tire Helmet Vehicle Wheel Car

·
Official Site Vendor
8,562 Posts
I see your point. Looks like the ball joints failed. Do you know what actually failed? Love the pic. Looks like too much air. I would have liked to see the video of this.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Casing a machine is NEVER a good idea. There should always be clearance at full compression.

When the whole front end is blown out the jump was just too big.

If the case the machine theory was the right one why not have a small amount of suspension so the skid hits every time?

The reason is a broken back costs more than ball joints.

Tim

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
The stock ball joints are not weak nor are the front knuckles. They can take a lot of abuse. That picture looks like the result of someone going much bigger than anticipated on a jump or smashing into a dune at a high rate of speed one too many times.

I have seen Keller ball joints break a few times in the dunes. I have not seen a stock ball joint fail (knock on wood).

If you want to kill the X3 frame much sooner than set up your suspension so the frame smashes the ground before the shocks bottom out.

Better to get your shocks properly sprung and valved so it can soak up the hits versus the stock suspension that tends to bounce off stuff versus soaking it up.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea what failed or happen. I just seen this pic posted alot over social media. I'm curious to see how the shocks look without springs to get an idea of how close chassis sits on ground or if it hits the ground before shocks bottom out. I think if you go big you need to have your shocks tuned to soak up the impact. And bunpstops would play big part in how much breaks in big jumps. Hopefully some suspension experts will chime. Not saying the comments above are no good or anything. Just wanna see a variety of answers. Haveing a shock bottom out to stop the travel of the suspension is cant be a good thing either.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
So you want bump stops on the front?

Have you sent that done?

I'd like to see a pic.

I cannot recall ever seeing that.

I would love to see a video of you jumping with your suspension set up to case the car.

I'll hold your beer!

Tim

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Calm down there bud, I never said I wanted bump stops on the car.but I been into offroad lifestyle long enough to know the importance of bumpstops and how much they save the suspension and chassis. I'm just saying what of the car was designed so the chassis will kiss the ground just before the suspension bottoms out. Thats why I said I'm curious to see where the chassis lands when the shocks bottom out. And ya if someone did make something where bumpstops could be added to front and hold up to repeated abuse id would definitely purchase it. But with how the chassis is designed there's not much to support one on front. And what I seen on rear will take a good amount of fab work so it doesn't destroy the rear frame

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And I never said its good to have it set up so it would case on jumps or that I wanted too.....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just seeing that cars that have the same failure, all have oversized tires. If there's a pic of one with blown out suspension but, no damage to front grille or fascia like ones above. but with stock tires or 30" tires plz post pics.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'm just seeing that cars that have the same failure, all have oversized tires. If there's a pic of one with blown out suspension but, no damage to front grille or fascia like ones above. but with stock tires or 30" tires plz post pics.
Not going to be many pictures out there with the stock tires since that's one of the first things almost everyone changes for their riding terrain.

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I see your point. Looks like the ball joints failed. Do you know what actually failed? Love the pic. Looks like too much air. I would have liked to see the video of this.
This ^^^^^^
-----
RC's come stock with 32's, I've never witness this myself however I agree with improper suspension set up and some hard landings

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,025 Posts
Still not to bad for insurance where I am pretty cheap really. X3 RR is only $100/year more than my Sport 1000R.

What hurts is my 2 stroke Etec 850 in my Ski Doo. About 3 times more than my Sport lol. Most insurance companies won't even touch an 850 2 stroke. People eat trees and quite a few die every year. O-60 what almost seems immediately doesn't work out too good for some.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.