Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going with the silber. But with the clutch and cv problems idk. Not sure if I wanna drop 5gs on a turbo then have to buy aftermarket shafts and clutch to make it reliable. I do mostly trail riding now. But with a turbo might spend more time at the dunes. Just do t wanna be broke down more than riding. Also have a guy that has a turbo for a 1200 sled he said will work on mine and wants to do a prototype setup. He also has a clutch guru that works for him. Opinions? Anyone already have a turbo?

·
Registered
998 Posts
With a turbo you'll be needing atleast 2k to do a full STM clutch to hold all that power. The stock clutch is failing on stock machines, a lot of people have switched clutches or had their stock one fail.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you don't want to be broke down more than riding, then I wouldn't turbo it, And I would get an aftermarket CVT system.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Like Gamisfan said upgrade the CVT no matter what you do with a turbo. The Silber is new to the market, a couple guys that I know of are putting them on so we will see how reliable the machine will be after the install. Hoping it holds up though

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have two Silber kits.. One installed and one used kit in box (possibly for sale). I melted first engine down at Winchester Bay because Dobeck controller could not supply correct fuel. $2,000 later have one kit running beautiful until today at Sandlake when I broke the BRP upgraded Clutch Stud. Turbo kit is reliable with all the right stuff... I will be honest and say that the turbo kit was installed last June and today was the first solid two hours we put on machine without engine, fuel, oil pressure issues...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a sibler kit I'm running now..well most of the kit since I didn't get a complete kit...I don't have to many nice things to say about sibler turbos but Beware be cautious!

I have a little more tuning to do with the dobeck controller which I'm hoping to have done next week. I will give some feed back when complete.
Currently it puts 104hp at the wheel with 10# of boost using a quality Garrett turbo. KMS dyno.
Once I have it dialed I will give some feed back on what was involved with the kit installation and the issues with sibler them selfes as well as their half ass kit and all the missing parts I had to deal with.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It seems to me that the turbo kits for the Maverick are still being dialed in. So IMO, the smart money says to wait a while until there is truely a reliable set up. IMO, unreliability is not worth the added speed you will get for the short duration. For me, its always been more fun to drive my Maverick than to work on it. So Im willing to let others do all the testing.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I agree Marty, but after a year, I'm growing impatient and I've got the need for speed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I'm not so worried about the nuts and bolts of it. I'm concerned with the fueling and the ecm

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Should be Golden now that Mrrpm has the reflash for a turbo now. No more limp mode!!!! Just sell your dobeck and get a fm or pcv

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes, have a turbo reflash, actually a couple different ones, may not be perfect with the ecu by itself, but for sure can get it dialed with a Fuel Monster or some other tuner.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have never had a turbo'd SxS but I have had my share of unreliability due to the need for speed. Never again for me. I'm happy just being the tortoise these days.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have never had a turbo'd SxS but I have had my share of unreliability due to the need for speed. Never again for me. I'm happy just being the tortoise these days.
To me time is more valuable than anything..you can never get back the time lost to breakdowns or failures....I can't worry if something is going to brake so I am more worried about reliability than all out power. Fortunately, the Maverick is pretty good out of the box with some reliability upgrades.......

·
Registered
791 Posts
For the Cost of the Turbo Kit, + Clutches + Any Tuning or standalone ECU... Doing a Z1 Swap would make more sense to me.

$5k for a Z1 Engine that is 180HP Stock and can easily be turned up to 200+ HP and is Reliable....
Z1 Turbo Complete Motor $5000 - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

Mmmm Z1 Swap....
Now take that $5000 and multiply it by at least 4 by the time you have it properly installed in the machine and running smoothly.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts