Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

To Paddle or Not to Paddle

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Andy 
#1 ·
Guys, I'm contemplating putting some cash down on some paddle tires this summer. I come from the quad scene and in that world I'm about to ask a rediculously stupid question. LOL! Anyway, the ole Mav does pretty good with the big horns out in the dunes and I like being able to cruise camps at Little Sahara (OK). Are the paddles truly worth the added traction for the money and worth the inconvenience of not cruising camp grounds? I figure climbing is night and day difference and also off the line acceleration. Another thing, will my stock clutch take a beating? I've done the recall, and have had no trouble with the stock clutch (someone knock on some wood for me!). Thanks guys!

#2 · (Edited)
Ya know...this has been a topic since the 1st Mav's hit the market. I have moslty duned with my Mav, both with and w/o paddles. You are correct on the launch, drags, and hill shooting. That being said, paddles do make a significant difference, but the stock Big Horns air'd down to 5-6 psi do pretty well for all around duning. I have climbed EVERY hill in Glamis with the stock tires. True without as much authority as with paddles, but none the less still gone everywhere I wanted to go. I would base my decision on how often I would be in the dunes, and how serious I was about being 1st up the hill. For me it a no brainer since 90% of my riding is in the dunes, so I run paddles (most of the time) but If I was only going to go to the dunes 2-3 times a season...I would just run my Big Horns air'd down and spend the money on other mods I would use all the time. JMHO

P.S. your stock clutch will do ok. If anything I would at the least get the Dalton black/violet secondary spring for the stock secondary, or If finances allow upgrade to an STM secondary clutch. Both options will give you better back shifting under high loads, like climbing BIG sand dunes. The stocker will work, but you will put your belt under much heavier loads due to it not back shifting as good as it should.

Reactions: Pnutz and Barbosa75
#3 ·
Andy pretty much summed it up......if you are one of those guys who has to be the fastest, then you gotta get paddles......or if you do a lot riding in the dunes, it is worth it as well so you can enjoy the full potential of the Maverick power.....if you go once or twice a year, it really isn't worth the money unless you got the money to burn...

#4 ·
i would agree. if you ride aggressivly with paddles you will blow a belt with the stock clutch. The stock tires are a lot of fun, you can drift corners and climb anything it just take a good run with the big hills. I would say save your money for clutches. I drive my car hard and went through 3 belts with the stock clutches (all belts were warrantied) but with STM clutches my belt temps are lower and have had zero belt issues. But my wallet is 2k lighter.

Reactions: Barbosa75
#5 ·
This pretty well sums it up. Thanks for the input guys! Even though I haven't had trouble with the clutches yet, the money is sitting in an account for when that day comes. I do ride pretty aggressively, but you hit right on the head Mega! On the BH2's the car can drift pretty good in the trails which comes in handy. I personally like a loose car. I think Little Sahara Powersports will actually rent or demo paddles. I may do that when our dune season begins. I'll keep that 2g's in the bank though for clutches instead of paddles, unless I sell another big project this year. Thanks for the input!

#6 ·
hey, you could always pick up a used set for cheap off of the forum...you never know who might be selling some....ain't that right Mega :wink:

#7 ·
I am from Kansas also j rod and will be making atleast one trip to little sahara what time of the year do u normally go

#8 ·
You guys headed to Sahara this weekend for spring break? We have a big group of drag bikes, buggies and side by sides going. I'm with you on the paddle situation.. Think im just going to get rear STU's and save about $500.I really don't think fronts make huge difference... Not enough to spend it if you don't need too.

#10 ·
u can get smoothies for cheap way better then knobbies

#11 ·
Its just my opinion.. Our sand out in Oklahoma is a lot different than the West. I can drive just as good through the dunes as a guy that spent $400.00 extra on fronts with my stock bighorns. But im a cheap ass... lol. All I need are backs for traction.

#13 ·
the knobby fronts will give you a little more pull when climbing big dunes also

#14 ·
I'm still running the knobbies up front in the dunes. I'll use the money I would have spent on buffs and wheels for a ecu reflash:big smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.