Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to get some bigger tires on my maverick.. looking at 28x9x12 mega mayhems, or possibly the moster mayhems. im just wondering is it safe to run without an upgraded clutch? with the mosters im sure i will need something because they are 30s and 11 lbs more. wanted someon that may actually know what there talking abouts oppinion. i have to many friends with different answers.

·
Registered
806 Posts
28's you shouldn't have to worry about. The monsters you will definetly need an upgrade. I suggest you go aftermarket now and never worry about it again. Aftermarket primary is better in every way possible. Do a search, there is plenty of info on clutches and tires on here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks.. Would you recommend any curtain clutch? I talked with airdam on the phone and they told me primary was like $860 and with a secondary I would be looking at almost $1300, and that is just crazy to me. We ride 40% road and 60% trails with not to much mud involved. The hardest I ride is when I'm blowing my buddy's 900xps doors off lol

·
Registered
415 Posts
I run 32" terminators with stock clutch and beat the hell out of it in deep mud and buckshot , no issues here, its all in your driving

Reactions: sTa

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you just trail ride I would only go with a primary. They are expensive but it is pretty good insurance and peice of mind. I have a QSC and think it is better in every way, stall speed, engagment, and reliability.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm with mud dynasty I got 31 wides on the stock clutch. Now can I tell I need an upgrade yes. But if it gets super thick or starts slipping its tow rope time . I will do a clutch soon but not a must right off the bat with 28s. Idk really what to do tho, better clutch way more bite , more power to the ground equals more broke parts. Getting a new front diff right now under warranty thank god . Next it will be axles or tranny. Belt is cheaper than all them parts just saying ...... Gonna ponder it awhile .

·
Registered
806 Posts
I understand STA, but I would hate to be pulled out by somebody just because the mud got real thick and I was afraid that if I tried to spin a tire that my belt would smoke. You can still have common sense along with a reliable and strong clutch. Also, I promise you that you will notice a difference just taking off and slow trail riding, no more clunk, no more worries.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I hear ya still up on the air. Might have to get rid of these wides not sure yet if the bike can handle them how I ride.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I hear ya on that. I put 29.5 ol2 on mine and it is a different machine now. These sum bitches are heavy. Was gonna go 31 OL1 but couldn't find any and didnt have the patience to wait. I will say that I havent need 4wd yet.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Lol I have and it cost me a diff :-/

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
could a guy just get the same cluch thats in the xmr... or is there a difference
Clutches are the same the difference in the two is the Xmr has a gear reduction in the trans. So changing the clutch is useless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cholber1..... what kind of clutch do you run.... i think ive made my mind up and want the 30'' moster myhems with 14'' sti hd3 wheels. ive only looked into airdam and cvt but i like the epi price much better and im thinking the sport utility would work for me.. this is my first machine ive wanted to to these upgrades on and also my first belt driven.. just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
cholber1..... what kind of clutch do you run.... i think ive made my mind up and want the 30'' moster myhems with 14'' sti hd3 wheels. ive only looked into airdam and cvt but i like the epi price much better and im thinking the sport utility would work for me.. this is my first machine ive wanted to to these upgrades on and also my first belt driven.. just looking to be pointed in the right direction.
To be honest i have the stock clutching. I havent driven it yet theres to much snow here to get an idea how it runs with the 30's on it. Im up in the air on clutching also. Not sure to try the dalton kit for the money or just pony up the dough for complete set. Just its alot of money for clutches. So im not sure yet what im going to run.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Okay i did drive it yesterday with the 30" motoclaws it performs well but can tell it needs clutch work and it shifts out to fast. Ordered dalton clutch kit from hunterworks. I get it this thursday. I will report back on how it performs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts