Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been stressing back and forth about what to do! I know from researching Can Am since last September that the stock primary is a slipping bolt breaking belt shredding POS!!! Its been going on for years, first in their quad's, then in their Commander. I wanted a roller primary, but QSC is too small of a diameter, and STM is too much $! I know that the ///AIRDAM setup works, I've read it in probably 30 different threads. I've read that Adam can be hard to get ahold of. But the two times that I've tried to get ahold of him, I got him on the first try! I was researching who else I could order from in case I couldn't get ahold of him. I found 3 places that sell the CVTech for a hundred dollars less then Adam. And I'm sorry, but I'm a cheapskate! So I was tempted to go that route. But then I read a thread that said if you buy from one of them, you could wind up spending $100-130 more to try and get it dialed in yourself. Or think that your doing good with your cheaper CVTech, only to get spanked by an ///AIRDAM CVTech! Like they say, you get what you pay for! Adam said he's only a few days backed up, so I should see it next week! I'm sooooo stoked to put the primary worrying days behind me! And I can't wait to stomp some xp's butt even worse than before! I feel so relieved!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Good call, I have done my research and that is also the option I ended up going with. If you save up enough money you can always sell your used AIRDAM CVTECH later on and upgrade to the STM setup. Nothing like going riding with the piece of mind that you are not going to have a belt blow or have a clutch come apart. Best $800 you will spend on this machine IMO

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had the Airdam clutch with the STM secondary on my Commander and it worked WAY better then stock, but after giving him 1300.00 people started to flame his cheap CVTech clutch. I had no problem with it, it made my Commander jump off the line and I never EVER had a slipping belt problem. If I were to do it again I would wait for the STM Primary as it looks to be worth the 1300.00 and people that have it in the Commander are in love with it. Just my .02... Airdam does a really nice job on clutchs, but the CVTech just looks plain cheap....

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Good call glamisfan and yes u will have piece of mind. I ran 29.5 terms on my commander and after smoking a belt I got with Adam and ordered his cvtech and for over a year I have beaten on that clutch with no problems. I took it off last week to have him retune it for my Mav and when I opened my box the belt still looked good. There was mud all in my box which means at some point the clutch got wet but It never slipped so I was very impressed

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Been stressing back and forth about what to do! I know from researching Can Am since last September that the stock primary is a slipping bolt breaking belt shredding POS!!! Its been going on for years, first in their quad's, then in their Commander. I wanted a roller primary, but QSC is too small of a diameter, and STM is too much $! I know that the ///AIRDAM setup works, I've read it in probably 30 different threads. I've read that Adam can be hard to get ahold of. But the two times that I've tried to get ahold of him, I got him on the first try! I was researching who else I could order from in case I couldn't get ahold of him. I found 3 places that sell the CVTech for a hundred dollars less then Adam. And I'm sorry, but I'm a cheapskate! So I was tempted to go that route. But then I read a thread that said if you buy from one of them, you could wind up spending $100-130 more to try and get it dialed in yourself. Or think that your doing good with your cheaper CVTech, only to get spanked by an ///AIRDAM CVTech! Like they say, you get what you pay for! Adam said he's only a few days backed up, so I should see it next week! I'm sooooo stoked to put the primary worrying days behind me! And I can't wait to stomp some xp's butt even worse than before! I feel so relieved!
Sounds liket he consensus on here! It is nice to see so many positive remarks about his clutch setup.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

Thats the route I'm going to go........IF I ever get hold of Adam. Been trying for a week now with no success. Phone calls, email, and PM's here

·
Registered
791 Posts
I had the Airdam clutch with the STM secondary on my Commander and it worked WAY better then stock, but after giving him 1300.00 people started to flame his cheap CVTech clutch. I had no problem with it, it made my Commander jump off the line and I never EVER had a slipping belt problem. If I were to do it again I would wait for the STM Primary as it looks to be worth the 1300.00 and people that have it in the Commander are in love with it. Just my .02... Airdam does a really nice job on clutchs, but the CVTech just looks plain cheap....
It will cost more than 1300 to run an STM as you also must buy their secondary and rage 6 or 8 is recommended for the Maverick.

Agreed the cv tech is not the most visually appealing, but I am not buying it to look at, I am buying with the hope that once the cover is on I will not have to see it again until its time for annual maintenance.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
No shit...........Steve, help a brother out lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Airdam for me. Got it on my mav and its rockin like Motley Crue . May buy a rage 6 or 8 later on if they get the engine braking dialed in. But as for now, the engine braking with my airdam cvtech is phenomenal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had great luck with Adam (airdam). My ugly CV Tech primary in my commander has 4600 miles pounded into it with 0 problems. I bought a STM rage 6 primary and gen 2 tuner secondary for my Maverick. Great belt bight and really fun to tune. But there improved engine braking? Not so much. Great clutch for the dune riders.

We do extreme mountain trail riding and need the engine braking. It took me 2 days to get a hold of Adam but 4 days later I had my new clutch. I'm proud of that young man. He's an entrepreneur with great passion for his craft. In time he'll learn how to leverage his time better! Hopefully lol

Heading out to put a few heat cycles on the CV Tech so I can start pounding on it...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok... You have my attention..... Now what ???

I know there must be pro's & Con's....
Cost?? Ok... Other than that what is the most of the both of them....
I like to tool around in the woods & I like to scream away from the other bikes to make them wish they had a Mav... Right ??? Lol
So with that in mind Help....

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cost- $800 for the primary. Another $100 for the machined secondary. I chose to leave my secondary completely stock, partly to make it easier for warranty work(in case I break an axle or trans or diff). $40 for the primary puller tool. The peace of mind I have right now knowing that I shouldn't be shredding any belts or breaking primary bolts and grenading the entire cvt system........PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
just stay with your stock set up, it will be fine for general trails, some high speeds and everyday riding. its when you plan to ride it like you stole it in the dunes you need something better.
I call BS on this. Guys have blown them apart with less than 8 hrs on them and not hard core riding either. Actually that shouldnt even matter. If i pay 20k for an all sport machine put out by the baddest company out there, i should be able to balls to wall it in any terrain and it hold together. Bulldog...You really need to go back and read ALL the threads on here associated with the blown clutches before u make a comment like this. That's the sole reason I put an airdam on mine prior to even driving 3 ft in it. I'm not gonna have my machine sit up at the dealer waiting on parts all the time. I'm doing the 10 hr maintenance right now. I'm also inspecting the clutch. I'll post pics in a lil bit. And to answer the above question, I told Adam Harvey when I ordered mine that I ride trails, mud ride, and like to go balls to the wall in between. And that's exactly what he gave me. Now I'm not saying that every maverick will have issues, but theres definitely a trend emerging and I am saying I aint gonna be one of em with issues if I can help it. And if u aint got the bread to shell out for an upgraded clutch, then u probably shouldnt be buying 20k toys to begin with.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Btw if u guys are wondering what it looks like after a solid weekend of breakin including slow climbing, balls to the wall, trail riding, and mudding loaded with 400 lbs worth of adults and 50 lbs of beer all weekend. It looks fantastic. I'll show yall here in a lil bit.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like I stated in the op, this is a trend that's been going on for YEARS with Can Am primary's!

·
Registered
649 Posts
OK.... You want an honest review... I have bought 4 clutches from Adam/// All for Commander and Recently another for Friends Commander and My Mav........All have been spot on with the exception of the Maverick... My shift RPM point should be at about 7900/8000 from idle to WFO and stay there as that is where mav makes its power.. Mine is at 7700.... To fix this after talking with two weeks ago we figured that I would need a diff primary spring...The 1017 to be exact....In which he told me I would have last thur. and it never came..... After not riding this past weekend and trying to communicate 5 different ways I was able to talk to him this PM.... Turns out he is out of the 1017 spring untill after the first of next month... So don't hold ur breath on getting the clutch you ordered unless it has the 1016 spring that I got.... After talking with him we tried to come up with a solution.... Solution was that I order a 1017 from someone that my have one in stock...So 100$ later I have one coming on thursday......To add to my problems I went to take the CVteck off this evening and the bolt wouldn't come out...RED LOCTITE is too much....If you read the directions it says for PERMANENT hold.....So after using the tools prescibed to me from Adam the Bolt broke off....Yes Broke off in the Crank......Blue locktite is all you need IMHO.......Furthermore if you want to truly utilize E braking to its full potential you will need to have your secondary machined to bring the halfs together more and put more tension from the belt on the One Way Bearing..... It slipped on my test ride and now my nice new belt has flatspots on the inner ribs......Yay for me........I was texting Adam tonite but he must of got busy when I told him the bolt was stuck and never heard back....I was told bolt won't break with a 1/2 inch impact but let me tell you it will..... I have a new bolt from previous stock clutches so I will take this mess appart tommarow and drill out whats left......If i get luck it won't trash anything else ... I bought this clutch for reliability and when this gets sorted out someday I guess Ill have a Bullet Proff setup but I think there need to be more testing before these are sent out the door.......DON'T USE RED LOCTITE
By the way with the 1016 spring a stock XP would beat my ass, good and I talked major shit before... I looked like a total dumbass.....My stock clutch did better than this one in my field .....

As for Adam... He has offered to machine my secondary no charge for this hassle but Im waiting to see what this spring does... If I still get outrun by my buddies stock mav then I just don't know... We will see this weekend how it all goes pending how the AM goes with bolt removal....

I would appriciate anyone to take there Stock mav out and from dead stop go to WOT and hold for 3 seconds and tell me what RPM's do... And then repeat from a 5mph roll and see what they do then.... I need some baseline as mine is Out of Service...

Overall Adam has a good track record with me and I have recommended him to many people and they have bought.... I just think mav needs more R&D on his part.......And I am paying the price in time and money....Hopefully I can at least get a new belt after this one has flatspotted ribs..... Im running stock tire setup...with 1800 to 1900 stall

Yes I have pics of the Belt and Bolt...Just don't feel like uploading them...Im agravated as hell....

·
Registered
468 Posts
OK.... You want an honest review... I have bought 4 clutches from Adam/// All for Commander and Recently another for Friends Commander and My Mav........All have been spot on with the exception of the Maverick... My shift RPM point should be at about 7900/8000 from idle to WFO and stay there as that is where mav makes its power.. Mine is at 7700.... To fix this after talking with two weeks ago we figured that I would need a diff primary spring...The 1017 to be exact....In which he told me I would have last thur. and it never came..... After not riding this past weekend and trying to communicate 5 different ways I was able to talk to him this PM.... Turns out he is out of the 1017 spring untill after the first of next month... So don't hold ur breath on getting the clutch you ordered unless it has the 1016 spring that I got.... After talking with him we tried to come up with a solution.... Solution was that I order a 1017 from someone that my have one in stock...So 100$ later I have one coming on thursday......To add to my problems I went to take the CVteck off this evening and the bolt wouldn't come out...RED LOCTITE is too much....If you read the directions it says for PERMANENT hold.....So after using the tools prescibed to me from Adam the Bolt broke off....Yes Broke off in the Crank......Blue locktite is all you need IMHO.......Furthermore if you want to truly utilize E braking to its full potential you will need to have your secondary machined to bring the halfs together more and put more tension from the belt on the One Way Bearing..... It slipped on my test ride and now my nice new belt has flatspots on the inner ribs......Yay for me........I was texting Adam tonite but he must of got busy when I told him the bolt was stuck and never heard back....I was told bolt won't break with a 1/2 inch impact but let me tell you it will..... I have a new bolt from previous stock clutches so I will take this mess appart tommarow and drill out whats left......If i get luck it won't trash anything else ... I bought this clutch for reliability and when this gets sorted out someday I guess Ill have a Bullet Proff setup but I think there need to be more testing before these are sent out the door.......DON'T USE RED LOCTITE
By the way with the 1016 spring a stock XP would beat my ass, good and I talked major shit before... I looked like a total dumbass.....My stock clutch did better than this one in my field .....

As for Adam... He has offered to machine my secondary no charge for this hassle but Im waiting to see what this spring does... If I still get outrun by my buddies stock mav then I just don't know... We will see this weekend how it all goes pending how the AM goes with bolt removal....

I would appriciate anyone to take there Stock mav out and from dead stop go to WOT and hold for 3 seconds and tell me what RPM's do... And then repeat from a 5mph roll and see what they do then.... I need some baseline as mine is Out of Service...

Overall Adam has a good track record with me and I have recommended him to many people and they have bought.... I just think mav needs more R&D on his part.......And I am paying the price in time and money....Hopefully I can at least get a new belt after this one has flatspotted ribs..... Im running stock tire setup...with 1800 to 1900 stall

Yes I have pics of the Belt and Bolt...Just don't feel like uploading them...Im agravated as hell....
I hate that all this happened to u. I really do. I know how much it sucks when u have issues like this. But you and I have the same set up except I run 30" mud tires. And I haven't had any of these issues. My stall is 1800 my shift out is 7900-8000. I know u didnt mention it but u had to shim ur secondary. I pulled my cover off earlier and mine was spot on, belt stops spinning at idle. Belt rides high in my secondary, engine braking is outstanding and I have no flat spots in my belt at all. I'm not a fanboy or anything, if something better comes along im gonna upgrade. Just think u mighta got a faulty clutch ir something. Either way, its not good . Hope it works out for u bro.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I did however use blue loc tite on mine, not the red loc tite he sent with the clutch. Havent tried to break the bolts loose though. Everything looked good when I inspected it so I probably wont mess with it.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts