Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking everywhere for an answer to a question, and all I've been able to find is tons of people asking the same question, and nobody has answered.

What are the pros and cons of running the same tire width on all 4 corners VS staggered width front/rear

I'm looking to replace my stockers and this is basically the final answer I'm looking for before I make my decision.

Thanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Depends on what you will be doing?? here in the delta and south we run skinnys as we call them, all the way around to get digging power to reach hard bottom in the mud. i cant speak for sand and such

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I thought we answered this already. If you want to run the same size tires on all 4 wheels, you need to use 4 front rims & tires. They will be lighter then using 4 rears on all 4 wheels. The pro is lighter weight or rotating mass will help you keep you tires spinning with less hp. The reason they use a wide rear to help with overall traction or grip for all purpose riding conditions. If your running all 4 the same size so you only have to carry 1 spare, then I get why you want to do it, otherwise not sure. The car has plenty of power to rotate the wider rear wheels. Wider wheel on the front may not turn as well and will be heavier.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, first of all, thank you very much for clarifying. I tried searching all over for a good answer and came up dry. Sorry for my ignorance, I must have missed it.

So if I'm understanding this right, Can Am staggers the sizes for rear end traction and ease of steering. Skinny tires are good for digging down in the mud to find the hard bottom, wider tires all the way around would be better for high speed traction.

That's basically what I figured, but I didn't want to compare it to my quad or on road vehicle.

I already have a set of 30in zillas that are staggered which will be fine for my low speed cruising, I'm probably going to go with some 28 or 30x10in Blackwaters all the way around for my highspeed fun and reclutch.

Thanks guys, if I'm missing anything please let me know. other then that, I appreciate the input.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
We run standard 27 28 and 30" tires the same width all the way around. It turns better than the fatter tires in the back and we only need 1 spare

·
Registered
680 Posts
You think a 10" wide tire would be best Alex? It's in between the stock front and rear sizes?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You think a 10" wide tire would be best Alex? It's in between the stock front and rear sizes?
I would stay with the 9" wide tire myself, like the fronts.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
No thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 9s would be better for mud and snow though right? Skinny tires are great for digging down to solid ground for traction. Wider tires would be good for muskeg so you float better? I don't care for mudding much so I'm assuming a wider tire is better for hard pack traction.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
I run the dunes, so I was thinking about going with a 28x10x14 bighorns on methods. I'd go paddles but sometimes I have to run down the asphalt. I just think a 9 would be a little skinny for the soft Oregon sand

·
Registered
367 Posts
Benzo them boys be crazy! No silly mud for me. Utah clay is bad enough, but that just crazy, on bad clamp and out goes your engine. 28x10x14 the best for anything but sand.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I think I'm torn between a 30x10 and a 28x10. I'd sooner a 29, but Blackwaters don't come in that size, and the main reason I'm leaning towards 30 is because I already have 30in Zillas on rims so to match the size and reclutch would make sense. Having the smaller 28s and retaining some of the power would be nice though.

I made this video end of summer last year on my race quad (I'm on the yellow one). Will give a good idea of the trails I'll be rolling while avoiding mud.
PS: If you don't like hard rock, watch the video with the sound off :p

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
On 27s I stay with 9s due to performance and if you're sticking with 27s chances are you'you're going after high speed driving and performance. On 28s I kinda prefer the 10s cause to me it's more of a play tire and most all of the 30s are a 10 wide.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Yeah I think I'm torn between a 30x10 and a 28x10. I'd sooner a 29, but Blackwaters don't come in that size, and the main reason I'm leaning towards 30 is because I already have 30in Zillas on rims so to match the size and reclutch would make sense. Having the smaller 28s and retaining some of the power would be nice though.
If I'm not mistaken the 30s measure out to closer to a 29 than a 30. A true 30 is a big tire. I like the 30s that measure closer to 29s mostly due to the rubbing issues. My next tire is a 30" blackwater.

·
Registered
680 Posts
On 27s I stay with 9s due to performance and if you're sticking with 27s chances are you'you're going after high speed driving and performance. On 28s I kinda prefer the 10s cause to me it's more of a play tire and most all of the 30s are a 10 wide.
I would agree. I just think in a 27x9 it would dig to much in my situation with the soft sand. I think with the 28x10's I'll still get good flotation and just a little more ground clearance for the rutted out trails. That's also what makes me want your lower arms.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ok cool.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I'd have to agree with Alex on the 27s for the most part. Stock size tire would provide more performance, though the wider tire does give you more contact patch and float.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts