Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had trouble keeping these Bead LOCK Setups sealed? I find it strange that the commander has never had a tire problem and I have had three flats with no sign of leaking from stem or foreign object in the tire, but when I pull tire apart, there is dust protruding in under the sealing lip of the tire against the rim. I have never run less than 8 psi, and only have 35 miles on the machine so far... I thought Bead LOCKS were supposed to be the $h1^!?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
no problems at all.

you need to remove the ring and clean it really well with dish soap and water, blow dry it with an airhose and re assemble. I dont remember the torque, but you need to check them eveyother ride. I just use my cordless drill set on 9.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned it and rubbed all surfaces down with brake clean, made sure they were dry. Whe I saw the inserts and bolt size, I torqued them to about 12 ft lbs. Didn't want to overdo it. I haven't had a problem on the rear since the one time, but the same front has done this two times. I will make sure they stay tight and try that. It won't matter much after May, as I will go to the dune tire setups and not revisit the dirt tires until October....but want them to be reliable when needed..!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't remember the spec, but someone posted the beadlock torque spec on here before. It wasn't 12 ft. lbs.

Thanks Rickyjo, will try a search and see what it turns up..

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had one flat after 175 miles. So then I checked them all and found out they were only torqued to 20 in/lb and they should be 71 in/lb. No problems after that. 71 in/lb is just about 6 ft/lb. Maybe yours are too tight. I don't know much about bead locks but I know you can tighten a rubber O-rings too tight.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had one flat after 175 miles. So then I checked them all and found out they were only torqued to 20 in/lb and they should be 71 in/lb. No problems after that. 71 in/lb is just about 6 ft/lb. Maybe yours are too tight. I don't know much about bead locks but I know you can tighten a rubber O-rings too tight.
This is true!!! I am researching it now.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I tighten the bead lock bolts down to about goodntight...lol. They were just barely more than finger tight when I got the Mav home, and the left rear kept bleeding down. No problems since, but now that I know what the torque spec is, I will go check.

·
Registered
59 Posts
71 in/lbs. That is what I remember reading. Thanks Jay. I used to run beadlocks when I raced TT, but i tightened those wheels way more than 71 in/ lbs or 6 ft/ lbs! I would say megadesert has the best advice so far. Soap and water to get them good and clean.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did completely clean it up and torqued to 71 inch lbs. Tire still lost air again yesterday. I at least marked the rim where the air was leaking the last two times, and It comes up the same, even with breaking the tire down and rotating and re-seating the tire. I am running the tire into the dealer. There has to be a problem with the lock ring or the rim, a low or high spot somewhere. I can't trust these things.....yet... Will see what they say today..

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I did completely clean it up and torqued to 71 inch lbs. Tire still lost air again yesterday. I at least marked the rim where the air was leaking the last two times, and It comes up the same, even with breaking the tire down and rotating and re-seating the tire. I am running the tire into the dealer. There has to be a problem with the lock ring or the rim, a low or high spot somewhere. I can't trust these things.....yet... Will see what they say today..

thats the exact thing i would do. try it yourself then take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats the exact thing i would do. try it yourself then take it to the dealer.
Alright...here is the outcome. The ring, has about .020 of an inch high spot in it right where it was leaking in its last position. They have ordered a new bead lock ring for my front tire. Should see it in about 3 days. This will hopefully do the trick, as all the other tires are holding air like a champ!!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Wow crazy - good find !

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was just to coincidental to keep happening on the same wheel over and over, even with dismount and remount, rotate and checking valve stem.. I can't wait to put this one to bed!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yea but they finally released them last week. But I still haven't seen mine:/ But I did find a wheel and tire combo from a guy on here

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just picked up my new bead lock ring for the front left tire. I will get it recleaned and sealed, torqued properly and see what happens. This one checks absolutely true compared to the original one. Here's to having a front left tire hold air!!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's in Your Manual
?? The Torque?? Yes....Have tried spec and beyond spec before they ordered this ring, had four flats on the same tire, in the same placement on the lockring, Found it was warped or made wrong.. So far so good on this one have not lost any air as of yet, all day that is pretty good compared to the past..LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts