Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a 29-30" tire on the maverick trail. I have seen that some people have said they thought it would fit, but has anyone actually put anything bigger on? I am looking to put tusk terrabites on with either 28" or 30" tires on it. The terrabites tend to run small, by 3/4-1 1/2". Looking at about 27" mounted for the 28's, and about 29.25 on the 30's. Im looking to see if the tires will have enough clearance when turning and when bottoming out the shocks. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 28s now that measure a true 28" and there is no clearance issues at all with those. I wouldn't hesitate going a true 30!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be close? i just dont want to order them and be stuck with tires that I cant use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you concerned about rubbing while turning? And you plan on running 14" offset wheels I'm assuming? And I'm going to say no clutching until about 33-35" tires. These are geared like the defenders. I can't tell I have my 28s on. These have the extra low gear like the Defenders!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i am worried about the rubbing... I am looking at the STI HD3 rims 14". They are a 6+1 offset. I was hoping to keep the factory width

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone installed a 29-30" tire on the maverick trail. I have seen that some people have said they thought it would fit, but has anyone actually put anything bigger on? I am looking to put tusk terrabites on with either 28" or 30" tires on it. The terrabites tend to run small, by 3/4-1 1/2". Looking at about 27" mounted for the 28's, and about 29.25 on the 30's. Im looking to see if the tires will have enough clearance when turning and when bottoming out the shocks. Thanks
If you install 30s you will scrub when you are turned all the way and when their is pressure on the tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 30" gorillas on my 2018 mav T that came off of a 2015 xmr1000 outlander but I had to use a 3" lift kit to make them work with no issues

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried 28" Kanati tires on new 14" rims but had troubles getting high centered on our trails in the black hills of South Dakota. I could not go on same rocky paths as my family could on their 4-wheelers. So after wearing out the Kanati tires after 900 miles, I bought tusk terrabite 30x14s along with 3" lift kit. I had to install 1" spacers on front and back as I had front wheel rubbing on tight turns. I sit at 54" wide front and back. After installing the lift kit and 30" wheels, I now have 14" of ground clearance. However, I barely make it through 50" restriction gates in South Dakota and wheels will rub on posts....FYI

With the extra tire weight, I went with an EPI clutch kit for 29-30" tires for the MavT and the low gear purple spring that comes with the kit. There is a opaque white and a yellow spring with the kit for those who want a higher top end speed, but low end power is lost. Go with what you want. I lost about 15 mph on top end but now has plenty of power out of the hole from a dead stop with the purple spring. The MT now can crawl over rocks and rarely bottoms out. Low range is just a crawl, perfect for technical trails and rocks.

I took off the front sway bar too. Ride is incredible. I am a fifty-something aged, big and tall, husky guy that wanted more clearance and softer ride. In the pic, my teenage son is giving my nephew a ride around the block. We are street legal in South Dakota with mirrors, lighted license plate, blinkers and horn.

Bad side of lift kit plus no front sway is that it wants to dive down on corners at 15 mph or faster. You have to predict and anticipate your machine's response or you will roll it over...... I appreciate DirtDawg's posts from previous discussions and his observations set me on my path for these modifications. This set up works for me. I don't let others drive my MT unless they have skill and an understanding of how the machine will act with higher center of gravity and no front sway. Someone will roll it or get hurt if they don't respect it.

I have over 1,000 miles on the current set up and will never go with a smaller tire or remove lift kit. The Tusk Terrabite tire is holding up well as compared to my Kanati tires. I can get another 1000 miles on these. We trail ride as a family and rarely go over 15mph. If you want to do doughnuts, cookies or shitties, or haul ass fast down trails without knowing the upcoming turns, this set up will not work. You will turn it upside down...........

I really learn a lot from the posts from all of you. Especially the gear heads that can turn a wrench and posts with videos. I enjoy spending time with my kids working on the machines and hitting the outdoors. We are off to Colorado to ride in June 2020 for two weeks. I can't wait to get my MavT out there!
IMG_0283.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you do the clutch kit yourself, and which lift kit did you use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the 3" lift kit from SuperATV.com for $250 and the EPI Clutch Kit for the Mav Trail. I used automotive coil spring compressors to install the lift kit on all four shocks in about hour. Goes fast.....

I had to take the primary clutch to Can Am dealer to have them put in new spring for low end power to compliment the oversized Tusk Terrabite 30x14 tire weight and size. They charged me 1.5 hours of labor to do it. They have all the needed clutch component tools and jigs to remove the factory springs.

I just got back from Green River UT/ Black Dragon Canyon trail riding for a week. We got through the Devil's Racetrack without a front swaybar. No issues ever. Go slow and in low. Crawled over everything I threw at the Mav Trail.

I have 1" spacers on front and back, I might go to 2" to widen my stance on rough trails with the higher center of gravity.

·
Registered
2019 maverick trail 1000. 5-2 offset wheels. 27 inch tires. Roof. Mirrors. Full windshield.
175 Posts
Any pics of entire machine with the lift? What is your ground clearance now?

I didn't want to change the geometry of any moving parts, so I just put larger tires on 5+2 offset wheels. Got a little over 12" of clearance. Huge improvement.
20200425_194154.jpg
20200425_194119.jpg
20200425_194139.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are some pics with a tape measure. I have 15" clearance all along the rock sliders and 16" clearance through the center of the machine. Sorry about the dirt, like I said in the previous post, we just got back from Utah riding last week.

Changing the wheel offset might be the way to go over going to 2" spacers. My boys tried to get me out of my MavT on the trails as it is a cushy ride as compared to their 550 Grizzly bikes.

I also went down on tire pressure on the Devil's Racetrack trail to 6 lbs. Smooth and reliable grip on all types of surfaces. I just noticed the nose diving down more than ever at higher speeds. I filled the fronts back to 12 lbs. for normal trail riding. Without the sway bar, less tire pressure is noticeable going into curves and turns.

We put over 700 miles on trails last week. Sway bar is staying off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 maverick trail 1000. 5-2 offset wheels. 27 inch tires. Roof. Mirrors. Full windshield.
175 Posts
Very nice. I have yet to disconnect my sway bar. I'm a little scared to, as i do some high speed gravel road riding.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts