Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I don't get in trouble for this because I am not advertising and I have no affiliation with this company. I am just trying to see if anyone has used these before? I already ordered them because the salesman I bought the X3 from said they worked good but he also helped strap the X3 down when we left and the place he put the strap caused the strap to be cut in 2....lol so who knows....

I bought these on Amazon Amazon.com: Deviant 42600 Maverick X3 TieDown Brackets: Sports & Outdoors

They are supposed to arrive on Wednesday, I guess if they are no good I can always send them back.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would never tie to anything suspension loaded, car bounces going over a large bump, springs compress, strap comes off, I trust strapping to low unsprung parts like tires, trailing arms, and lower a arms

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own car carriers and back before cars had to be strapped my drivers used chains that went into the frame. This would pull down on the suspension (springs, shocks, etc.) Unless a chain were to break the bouncing going down the road never caused a chain to come undone from the tiedown slot unless it was from not being done right from the get go like maybe there was a link twisted or something that came loose then causing that tiedown to be loose.

If you hit a bump cars or whatever bounce down not up...right? You are pulling down on the suspension so it shouldn't be coming loose unless you have left enough room for it to travel downward. I am not trying to argue your point I get what you are saying but strapping to anything else other than tires or a solid point to the frame I don't think is good but that's just my opinion. Since these don't have a slot in the frame I thought these brackets created a nice solution. I do appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I own car carriers and back before cars had to be strapped my drivers used chains that went into the frame. This would pull down on the suspension (springs, shocks, etc.) Unless a chain were to break the bouncing going down the road never caused a chain to come undone from the tiedown slot unless it was from not being done right from the get go like maybe there was a link twisted or something that came loose then causing that tiedown to be loose.

If you hit a bump cars or whatever bounce down not up...right? You are pulling down on the suspension so it shouldn't be coming loose unless you have left enough room for it to travel downward. I am not trying to argue your point I get what you are saying but strapping to anything else other than tires or a solid point to the frame I don't think is good but that's just my opinion. Since these don't have a slot in the frame I thought these brackets created a nice solution. I do appreciate your feedback.
Cars dont have 22" of suspension travel
Your car do what you want. Me I want something stronger than peace of bent sheet metal attached to a 3/8 post. Plus as mentioned 1) Im not going to crank my shocks all the way down to avoid the suspension travel causing my straps to fall off, 2) I'm not trusting the straps wont come off if the shocks are not fully compressed

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tire nets are the way to go, not cranking the suspension down.
I wanted to do tire nets but I am not sure they would work due to the width and the way the track is setup on my floor. Do you have a picture of your nets around your tires with the ends coming off of them by chance?

My track lays right on the inside edge of the tires. In this picture you can see it. Would what you have work with this setup?

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I wanted to do tire nets but I am not sure they would work due to the width and the way the track is setup on my floor. Do you have a picture of your nets around your tires with the ends coming off of them by chance?

My track lays right on the inside edge of the tires. In this picture you can see it. Would what you have work with this setup?

View attachment 257236

flip the tire nest inside out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cars dont have 22" of suspension travel
Your car do what you want. Me I want something stronger than peace of bent sheet metal attached to a 3/8 post. Plus as mentioned 1) Im not going to crank my shocks all the way down to avoid the suspension travel causing my straps to fall off, 2) I'm not trusting the straps wont come off if the shocks are not fully compressed
That is a valid point in the amount of travel and I am not trying to prove you wrong just looking for the best solution and options.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My buddy uses that type of tie down on his XDS and loves them. Those are the factory tie down points that Can Am uses when they ship the cars. I'm pretty sure the shocks are disconnected during shipment tho, so no suspension loading issues.

The dealer he purchased his car from simply gave him the factory tie down brackets the car came with and suggested he could use them to tie the car down if he wished to do so. As I said,,, he thinks they work great, and he's got several hundred tow miles on them without issue.

I use tire nets, to each their own.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I usually tie down pulling front and backwards. Not really down on the suspension. The tie downs I have, have a soft/ strap loop that goes around the frame and back to a gated hook. So it can't really come undone. Can it still get cut? Sure, I have to make sure I go around tubing and not over bolts.
From there it's the rear diagonal tubes that come down on each side of the engine. And the front frame tubing that makes up the A arm frame area. Pulling front to back, so car can't go forward or back, up and down doesn't matter....
I like the wheel/ tire nets, but I don't always put the X3 in the same place on the trailer every time. Depending on how's I load it up.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have looked at nets but I don't see how I would fasten these with the track not being centered with the tire. The photos I have seen show the strap coming off the net directly center of the tire. I was hoping to see a photo of the ones being suggested so I could see how they worked or a brand name of them so I knew what kind these were.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I use shock straps. They are designed for suspension. Wheel nets are great too if you can manage. The position of my machine in the toy hauler won't allow for it though. If using the attached, try shock straps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use Vulcans. They can be used WAY off-center. (I have to do that on my flatbed.)

I would imagine Mack's can be used off center as well.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I have a set from geiser and havent had any troubles love them especially in my enclosed trailer , the first time I put the car in and tied it down the the trailing arms as it bounced on the bumps it let the car raise up and the wheels pull in so the car sat to high to get out the door it was a pain to get the car settled to get it out. Never had a problem since I got these

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I also use the Geiser brackets. They are stout and the strap would break long before these brackets would ever yawn at the force put on them. My trailer is set up with e-track just like the post above. I’ve towed the car literally thousands of miles on all kinds of crappy roads and it never moved on the trailer.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
I have some brackets from Joker Mfg that attach to the frame. Super stout and my X3 does not move.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I already have the brackets coming tomorrow I will just see how those work for me. Seems like they are working well for others. I drove 500 miles with it strapped no where nearly as good as it will be once I use the brackets and it didn't move it all. I am sure it depends on the truck, trailer, driver, and roads being traveled on as well.

Thanks for all the tips/advice

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hope I don't get in trouble for this because I am not advertising and I have no affiliation with this company. I am just trying to see if anyone has used these before? I already ordered them because the salesman I bought the X3 from said they worked good but he also helped strap the X3 down when we left and the place he put the strap caused the strap to be cut in 2....lol so who knows....
I secure car to trailer by tying down wheels. Not only will it not come unhooked by hitting bumps in road, it lets the suspension work the way it’s supposed supporting the chassis absorbing bumps etc.
ALSO why do some people criss cross rear tie downs from side to side. To me, makes no sense. If you loose one side, you lose all Control of both sides. If tied straight back, to each wheel one can still hold rear of car in place If one strap fails
I bought these on Amazon Amazon.com: Deviant 42600 Maverick X3 TieDown Brackets: Sports & Outdoors

They are supposed to arrive on Wednesday, I guess if they are no good I can always send them back.

View attachment 257235

1 - 20 of 23 Posts