Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the length and the thread of the 2013 tie rods?
I'm a machinist by trade and I can make a set but don't want to take mine apart to figure things out. Messes up ride time.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
There's a thread on here somewhere that has that info. Maybe try the search function? Seems like its 14x1.5 mm? I made my own too, and I think you need to thread it in about 1 1/2". And both ends are right hand thread. I'm sure about the right hand thread, but the other two specs ima not too sure.

·
Premium Member
8,474 Posts
12 5/8" end to end 7/8 or 1", 6061, 14mm 1.5 pitch right hand threads both ends, 1.5" deep.

I picked up material a couple days ago for $5 at my local metal supplier and need to find a lathe to bore the ends.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch, this will work! nice both ends being right handed, only one tap needed! Couldn't see spending $80 for something that would cost me $20 to make.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the rear rods? Anyone have the same info for them?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems from the reading that I have been doing, that the main rod seems to be the big issue with bending and breaking. My game plan was to replace the shafts and not the ends. Or am I going about this wrong?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NM I'm a DA, I looked at the rear, have no choice but to use the Heim joints. Sure are puny looking stock tho!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It seems from the reading that I have been doing, that the main rod seems to be the big issue with bending and breaking. My game plan was to replace the shafts and not the ends. Or am I going about this wrong?
No, that will be sufficient for 90% of peeps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tapered end look nicer. Also if the ends get faced in a lathe first, it will ensure a nice flat end for the jam nut. Drilling in a lathe would also ensure that the hole drilled prior to running the tap in would be on center. I would not hand drill for just that reason alone.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I think most aftermarket tierods use solid alum stock not hollow.
The original factory tierods are hollow so that is what makes them weaker.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
those hallow rods wont bend easy like the stock ones

1 - 18 of 18 Posts