Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my TurnKey (OEM replacement) tie rods primer & painted, and installed today. However, one of the tie rods was approx. 1/8" longer??!! Luckily there was enough adjustment in the ball-joint end to accommodate.
For those of you who have already replaced yours... what's the best way to make sure the wheel alignment is set properly? I swapped out the tie rods without moving the wheels and tried to put everything back to the original position (except for the slightly longer tie rod). Any suggestions?

Suspension Vehicle Yellow Suspension part Auto part

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
there is plenty of thread room for the rods to be a lil longer or shorter

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I measured off a straight 2x2 four feet or so long on top of a 4x4 about 3 ft long.One per wheel then use some bunjie cords to sandwitch the wheels between them,then measure off the 2x2's.
I measured from the frame to the inside of the wheels, measurement seems consistent...19". Probably could use some toe-in as Mega suggested. Not sure I understand the 2x2, 4x4 set up....

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
rear wheel drive u want 1/8 toe in yes

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I measured from center line of the tire. But then I cheated and had my nephew check it on the alignment rack at the tire shop he works at. :smile:

·
Registered
354 Posts
What works good instead of a tape measure is 4 ft. length of all-thread,quarter inch is big enough, and a threaded coupling.Cut a small piece that's close to the total length you'll need when the two pieces are threaded into the coupling,then use the coupling to lengthen or shorten the rod.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
1/8-1/4" toe in on both front and rear.
I'm not positive, but I think the rear is suposed to be nuetral? I have the front set at 1/4" toe in but might reduce that to 1/8"

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
So the front doesn't need toe-in after all?
rear wheel drive - u toe the front wheels in 1/8

front wheel drive - u toe the front wheels out 1/8 they say !

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Front wheel drive,the front wheels pull so you kinda wind up with zero toe. If you started out with 1/8" toe in, front wheel drive would wind up with 1/4" toe in.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts