Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my TurnKey (OEM replacement) tie rods primer & painted, and installed today. However, one of the tie rods was approx. 1/8" longer??!! Luckily there was enough adjustment in the ball-joint end to accommodate.
For those of you who have already replaced yours... what's the best way to make sure the wheel alignment is set properly? I swapped out the tie rods without moving the wheels and tried to put everything back to the original position (except for the slightly longer tie rod). Any suggestions?

tie rod.JPG

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
there is plenty of thread room for the rods to be a lil longer or shorter

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I measured off a straight 2x2 four feet or so long on top of a 4x4 about 3 ft long.One per wheel then use some bunjie cords to sandwitch the wheels between them,then measure off the 2x2's.
I measured from the frame to the inside of the wheels, measurement seems consistent...19". Probably could use some toe-in as Mega suggested. Not sure I understand the 2x2, 4x4 set up....

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
rear wheel drive u want 1/8 toe in yes

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I measured from center line of the tire. But then I cheated and had my nephew check it on the alignment rack at the tire shop he works at. :smile:

·
Registered
354 Posts
What works good instead of a tape measure is 4 ft. length of all-thread,quarter inch is big enough, and a threaded coupling.Cut a small piece that's close to the total length you'll need when the two pieces are threaded into the coupling,then use the coupling to lengthen or shorten the rod.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
1/8-1/4" toe in on both front and rear.
I'm not positive, but I think the rear is suposed to be nuetral? I have the front set at 1/4" toe in but might reduce that to 1/8"

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
So the front doesn't need toe-in after all?
rear wheel drive - u toe the front wheels in 1/8

front wheel drive - u toe the front wheels out 1/8 they say !

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Front wheel drive,the front wheels pull so you kinda wind up with zero toe. If you started out with 1/8" toe in, front wheel drive would wind up with 1/4" toe in.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts