Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
One thing I would do on quads is to run a string around the side of rear tires up to the front, making sure the front and back of the front tire are touching the string the same amount, sometimes easier if the back is a bit wider, you can just measure the space from string to tire on the front part and rear part of front tire,,,if that makes any sense?? Oh make sure steering wheel is dead on straight, also you may want to tow-in just a fuzz, but not much. sometimes helps with handling. I'm sure someone will chime in some info as well. This is just what has worked for me in the past

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
measure from same point on both sides make sure same numner #, or to spec , front should be 1/16th-1/8 in

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm thinking of dropping mine off at the local alignment shop when I do mine...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use a 2"x2" piece of steel. I only do one side at a time. Leave rears on, do fronts. Center steering wheel, rock machine, then adjust tie rod until the steel can touch the rear tire and front tire with no gaps. Kinda like the string that was mentioned. Then move to other side, do the same. After front is set, remove rears and do the same thing. You will need a 12' piece of steel or 2x6. It has never failed me.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The guy in town knows his stuff. I trust him to get it better than I can. I'll get it close using the straight edge method when I do the install, then have him check it with his equipment and make the final adjustments for my toe angle.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I used my straight line plumb bob (I'm a carpenter) laser on the centerline of the Mav chassis and measures off that. After, I took it to my nephews tire shop and we thru it up one the alignment rack. No adjustment necassary. I have also done it by measuring from centerline of the leading edge of the tire, and the centerline of the trailing edge of the tire at axle hieght. Not as accurate but if you have your steering wheel centered, it will get you very close. You need to do more than just bounce the front end on these things. Roll your mav backwards several feet, the forwards several feet to get the front end settled between measurements.

Like Benzo said, front @ 1/16 -1/8 tow in, rear should be nuteral to 1/16 tow in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts