Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took some pics of the throttle body when I swapped it out. The circuit board has the same part number. The entire TB is identical except it's a 58MM and the clip at the bottom to hold the cable. The throat is shaped a little different however fit perfectly. I did this install when I installed my air box which would make this so much easier to do. I have ran it only on my street and have seen a little improvement but it's not anything that it going to break records. I still need to dial in my tuner which I am going to do this week when in the desert. I installed the Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge and Sensor I bought from Heavysledz and have been messing around with it a bit but I don't have the room around my house to let her rip.

Externally you can see the throttle control module looks the same. The part number is different on the out side however the circuit number inside was the same.
TB1.jpg

You can see the clip where the harness locks into. This does not impair anything when you install the larger TB.
TB2.jpg

I thoroughly cleaned this before installing. It did come a little dirty however I paid 20 bucks for it.
TB3.jpg

Made for the can-am or not it works. You don't need a gasket, where it bolts too has an o-ring.
TB4.jpg

These clips like to fly when prying them off.
TB5.jpg

Make sure this rubber gasket is in the groove when you install it otherwise it will not be air tight.
TB6.jpg

There you have it.
TB7.jpg

Props to my helpers Mojo and Lola. They didn't get in my way at all...
2013-11-23 17.51.22.jpg

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I will use this info when I get ready to do mine. I agree the right time to do it would be when you install an aftermarket intake.
How long did it take? No surprises?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Nice write up man. Hopefully when u get everything dialed in you can give us some before and after #'s

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the write up. I will use this info when I get ready to do mine. I agree the right time to do it would be when you install an aftermarket intake.
How long did it take? No surprises?
Total time about 3 hours however that includes the air box as well. No real surprises it went pretty smooth. I am going to post some pics of the air box install too. It was a pain in the ass to get the clamp off of the TB because of where its located.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Figures. Buy a $20 part and its way harder to get it installed.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Figures. Buy a $20 part and it and its way harder to get it installed.
they do have it new for 189$ if that makes u feel better about the install time ! lol

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
they do have it new for 189$ if that makes u feel better about the install time ! lol
No that doesnt make it better!! :tongue:

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
lol

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It a slightly larger tb so more air. May not do anything by itself but coupled with intake, exhaust, and tuner it may give some good gains

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interested in the results.. Any dyno time or just seat of the pants?

I did clutch, TB, Air Box, Exhaust pretty much all together and from a few rips up the street I'm pretty stoked. I really won't know until I get it out in the desert this week. I have a feeling my clutch is not setup right because the few rips up the street it seemed to level at around 60 but I didnt have enough room to really let her fly.

We will see. It's going to be a fun week and I am bringing my stock clutch just in case.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah Lets us know how it goes, $20 for a larger TB it seems like it is an easy risk to take. I have read that a larger TB is not always a good thing, as the air intake pressure "could be" reduced with a larger TB and you can actually lose some low end torque. but hopefully that free flowing exhaust will help offset that.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah Lets us know how it goes, $20 for a larger TB it seems like it is an easy risk to take. I have read that a larger TB is not always a good thing, as the air intake pressure "could be" reduced with a larger TB and you can actually lose some low end torque. but hopefully that free flowing exhaust will help offset that.
There is a guy on here (Usaguy) running a 60mm that says it works fine.
I think the factory used a 54mm because they had a restrictive intake & exhaust.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can tell you low end torque is not an issue at all. I feel like I am pulling the front wheels off the ground when I stab it. That could be the clutch as well but it sure takes off better then it did.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anytime you can get more air to the engine it is going to help.. Keep us updated this will be a nice cheap upgrade. Probably wont be a lot of hp gain but just letting the engine breath more will help on throttle response and acceleration.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wonder if there any gains at all on a stock Maverick? Or could it possibly slow you down due to a loss in torque?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts