Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 x3 XMR Turbo
33 Posts
Wouldn't that put the tire right at the exhaust outlet? Not sure if that would be a problem though.
The other thing that comes to mind is that puts the weight of the tire on a long lever arm attached to the rear plate, which is not that strong. I guess it would depend on the receiver plate you would be putting on.
If you go with this, please post back here with the results. This could be a decent solution for some. I have an XMR and if trying to keep the spare below the roof line, the snorkles are in the way if you want to use with a storage box.

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Administrator
4,492 Posts
Sport or X3? I wouldn’t recommend it either way, that much weight will make it flop around like crazy and something is going to break.
Agreed...I can't remember of any member asking, or using, a receiver style. There would be so much tire weight "leveraging" on that tiny receiver....byebye tire IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,404 Posts
That rear plate is thin and the bolts move around in the hole.

Tim

·
Premium Member
15,580 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Just asking, but why do you feel you need to tow? Towing with a belt driven vehicle just weakens the belt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had one like that on my Polaris - took it off after one ride. Rattled, tire moved around, exhaust hit off of the bracket/tire and made it louder, plus the exhaust hit the tire/rim. Went with a real spare tire holder/carrier on my X3. Not a fan of that design.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do not do it! first hand experience with my first and 2nd SXS after one ride with each. First one broke after couple of rides and the other one rattled like hell then after few rides before it snapped!
They are worst idea by the manufacturers that produce them.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
3,249 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Just asking, but why do you feel you need to tow? Towing with a belt driven vehicle just weakens the belt.
You can tow in low no problem on a CVT. A Maverick Sport is rated for 1500 lbs. Look at all the machines like Defenders and Generals that tow all the time on farms etc. They are workhorses that's what they are designed for. Even my snowmobile is rated 1500 lbs in low.

·
Registered
2018 X3 XDS Turbo R
102 Posts
Hey everyone

Just bought a 2019 Canam Maverick XMR - looking to add a spare tire. What are everyones thoughts on a tow hitch spare tire holder like this one?:

At first glance it looked like a quick way to solve a problem. My immediate reaction after that was that it would probably rattle around, make noise, expand the hitch opening and inevitably make more noise before it failed.

Then, seeing what others wrote, I would agree, stay away from it. The only possible use I could see for that is storing it in your tow vehicle and using it to bring a tire to someone that was stranded without a spare. Temporary usage , when needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts