Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have been thinking about picking up a SxS for some time. I have owned many atvs and a rhino. I have rented wolverines, rzrs, yxz and RS1. Have yet to find a place where I can rent a x3, but none of the models I have rented have been what I am looking for. I am thinking that a polaris general might be a possible answer, but I want a 100% sport machine and it is more of hybrid.

The owner of my last rental suggested the x3.

However, everyone seems to buy the super big tricked out and expensive X3s. Those are beyond my budget. I need to stay under 65 inches so I can ride in MN and it seems like 120 hp should be plenty. What I am really after is as much legroom as possible, a soft plush ride for my bad back and a high quality build. I sat in a new x3 max this past weekend. While it was 72 wide what amazed me was the legroom. It was huge...does that legroom carry over into the 2 place machines or only for the max? Are the cockpits in the 72s and 64s the same? What year did they introduce the 120 hp x3? Is there anything I should be wary off on this model?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You can always upgrade the 120hp down the road if needed.
Need to remember that they're not the same shocks as the xrs or RC.

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
566 Posts
A 120 HP model is a lot of HP for trails. You can always add HP and the 120 model is a good platform to build off if you choose to.

There are a few other things that aren’t normally included in the 120 HP. Smart Lock IMO is important for the riding I like (dunes & rock crawling). The shocks aren’t the nice piggy back ones with less tune ability.

I think the suspension is far better than the RZRs...even in the base models. I think the seating position is more comfortable...including leg room and recline. I think Can Am does a great job with fit and finish (even thought there could still be improvements).

The storage sucks in the sport models...although some can be added.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are going to the dunes or trail riding the 120 hp will be a great crossover and worth the bang for the buck. My dad has one and follows me every where in the dunes and on the trails no problem.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I agree with the rest of the posts, get what fits you’re budget, and what you ride. Build from there. The 900 motor is great and seems plenty reliable. Lots and lots of happy X3 owners out having fun. The ergonomics are great compared to the RZR, I’m 6’4” and I like the seat in the stock upper position, leg room is great and I love how wide the cockpit is compared to other SxS models.
If the stock shocks are the only negative on the base model. You can always upgrade or re-valve them and get a super plush ride.
Adding coolers and storage bags are no bid deal. Plenty of options, especially if you like to work on your own toys....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...great feedback here. How is the ride on the stock shocks? Do they fade or are they harsh? What kind of discount off MSRP are you getting on your rides? I have never bought can am before.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
566 Posts
It not a harsh ride...it more on the side of too soft for high speed riding with some weird corks. The the common rear end bucking problem over large whoops/jumps. Or the bottoming out through high speed transitions.

Factory ride height seems to be a bit low for most people too. Adding a bit of preload to lift them up to +\- 16” ride height is common.

Suspension is a VERY opinion based subject between suspension tuners...hard to tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesn’t. IMO...the factory ride is good enough to go out and enjoy for awhile and when you’re ready and know what you dislike about the ride...you can shop and tune from there.

Without any tuning...still better than most (if not all) RZRs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
After lots of going back and forth with Base / DS / RC (in love with the color scheme lol), i picked up a 19 120 a few months ago. i don't have a need for smart locker (yet) and suspension was my only thing i was unsure about. Figured if it was horrible i could always get new shocks/re valve, i'm happy with now I've adjusted them, still might send them out to help with chatter bumps. I also did the evo stage 3r tune and made it even more fun. Michigan trails stock it was a blast, even more fun with more power and suspension setup better. I Just got back from 3 days in Hatfield McCoy and she didn't disappoint! Way better all around machine imo than my old rzr xp1k

when i bought mine the DS was i wanna say 5.5-6k more than base

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
The group I was with in Glamis this past week had a 120hp X3. He had a tune on it and it did great. No problem keeping up with 172hp X3s in group.

If you want more power it is available for the 120hp models. For trail riding 120hp will be just fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a bone stock 2019 X3 turbo four seater with 600 miles this past July. It was bought new in April. It rides plush. If you're out trying to catch air, then a higher performance shock absorber would be nice for rebound situations. But for family trail riding and being in the rear with the gear. I'm completely satisfied! Plus all it take is $1800 and your bumped up to 195 HP.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 120hp base 2 seater and for being a base model it is a very good machine. I have absolutely no problems keeping up with anyone out in Glamis unless I get on a long straight and even then it's not too bad. The suspension is not bad, definitely need to make sure that it is adjusted correctly from the factory, but I am going to get the springs replaced and the shocks revalved to suit my duning needs better. On trails I thought the suspension did quite well and if that's all I did I don't know that I would change the suspension. The Visco lock has served me well so far but I am not a mud person and don't seriously rock crawl although I have been on some steep rock inclines that I didn't think I belonged on and climbed them without incident. The price I paid on the base 2 seater turbo made it a no brainer for me vs what they were asking for for higher hp machines with higher end shocks. With all that being said I have recently added a Dyno Jet with a Whalen 150 tune and will be upgrading the suspension soon but even after that I will still be way ahead financially vs the higher hp/suspension models.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks everyone! Sounds like the base unit will suit my needs fine. Plush ride on fire roads up to about 50 mph is all I am after. I will start looking for a used machine from someone who just had to have "bigger and better".

"The suspension is not bad, definitely need to make sure that it is adjusted correctly from the factory" What does this mean? Can the dealer alter things internally on the shocks? I thought "low med high" were the only 3 possible settings. I am talking about the x3 turbo that was introduced for model year 2019.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks everyone! Sounds like the base unit will suit my needs fine. Plush ride on fire roads up to about 50 mph is all I am after. I will start looking for a used machine from someone who just had to have "bigger and better".

"The suspension is not bad, definitely need to make sure that it is adjusted correctly from the factory" What does this mean? Can the dealer alter things internally on the shocks? I thought "low med high" were the only 3 possible settings. I am talking about the x3 turbo that was introduced for model year 2019.
By adjusting shocks he means setting preload for proper ride height. They come low from the factory, raising it optimizes the shocks perforfance. Then the 3 position adjuster set to 1 and you'll likely just leave it there unless you really start to get aggressive.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I just got a leftover 2019 172 hp model have not even put 2 miles on it yet been adding mods to it and putting on graphics in my garage the last few weeks. Whatever you decide it will be an awesome machine.

·
Registered
821 Posts
XRS on 30” tires rides real nice at 16-17” ground clearance. And using Poundsand’s shock settings.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Follow up on my post above.... the XRS is at 72”, but the 120hp runs at 64” right? It will sit a tad lower then. 14-15” ground clearance is probably about right then....

1 - 20 of 86 Posts