Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
🤓
People are sure missing out.......... posting their questions and comments as their first post where it either lands or is first placed here

·
Registered
971 Posts
I never go to the introduction section, i see them when i click the "new" button and had no idea how many posts were started here. Same thing happened to the honda site i used to frequent, laziness made people stop goimg to the engine, suspension, and wheels and tires, sections and just posted in the lounge section. Funny part was when they wanted to sell or buy something they all were able to find the for sale section

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I dislike even looking at a thread when it addresses an issue in the header other than a mere "Introduction"

You know where it's going to go with answers, and usually by a limited few. I even tend to get "caught up" in the conversation, whereas the problem should be directed to the appropriate section, not only for the OP but for all of the members to utilize. Otherwise as previously mentioned, so much can be missed or not addressed at everyone's expense.

·
Registered
2021 Maverick X3 RS Turbo RR
169 Posts
The categories in this forum can be a bit ambiguous for a beginner. Think about it. Our models have so many different names that it's confusing out the door.

That said, isn't that why forums have moderators? They can move threads to the more relevant category? Self policing is nice, but not always totally possible.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I feel it should be spelled out when registering with the requirement of only introducing yourself and your machine, after which you can post in the appropriate sections with questions or issues outside of intros.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Your 1st post will automatically go to member introduction.

Apparently it's the new people that haven't ever been on a forum, that there 1st post is complaining about something or they need help..

I remember when I joined my 1st forum. Probably Pirate 4x4..back in my Jeep days
Commander Talk was my 1st SXS

Even though Back in the Rhino days I would sneak in as LBR..
Never posted, I knew better.. LOL.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max XDS Turbo R
183 Posts

Apparently it's the new people that haven't ever been on a forum, that there 1st post is complaining about something or they need help..
I help admin/moderate on a very popular Dumont site and run into things like that all of the time. Just this week I lost a little patience and replied with: "First post and no research? Did you contact BLM and help out our community, or is that our job?"

The site owner actually replied with: "It's like I'm hosting the dumbest game of Jeopardy ever! " :D

New folks come and the first post they make is answered on the first page!

·
Registered
971 Posts
The categories in this forum can be a bit ambiguous for a beginner. Think about it. Our models have so many different names that it's confusing out the door.

That said, isn't that why forums have moderators? They can move threads to the more relevant category? Self policing is nice, but not always totally possible.
And this is a big problem with the world, why should i put my shopping cart in the corral, they have employees to do it, why should i pick up my trash, the forest service can do it, why should i post in the right section when a mod can move it for me

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

I remember when I joined my 1st forum. Probably Pirate 4x4..back in my Jeep days
Commander Talk was my 1st SXS

Even though Back in the Rhino days I would sneak in as LBR..
Never posted, I knew better.. LOL.

Barbara

Would there be away to have a check box, or? to say : "Your first post is is to introduce yourself and your machine only" "No technical issues or questions allowed otherwise it will be deleted"

·
Registered
2021 Maverick X3 RS Turbo RR
169 Posts
And this is a big problem with the world, why should i put my shopping cart in the corral, they have employees to do it, why should i pick up my trash, the forest service can do it, why should i post in the right section when a mod can move it for me
I couldn't agree more that having the mentality of "someone will do it because it's their job" is far from acceptable, but that is not my point. A moderator should be there to help a new user to understand where the post belongs, not belittle them into submission. After all, we are here to be a part of a community and everyone has to start somewhere.

It is not my intention to defend the problem, I just think it is important to understand both sides and to look into the solution instead.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Would there be away to have a check box, or? to say : "Your first post is is to introduce yourself and your machine only" "No technical issues or questions allowed otherwise it will be deleted"
That would be a question for LBR..
I will relay it to him, just in case he doesn't see this..

I'm just another set of eyes..

Barbara

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

LBR does that except for the 1st post.

If you put it in technical section with just a question, no description of said vehicle
It WILL be moved to New Members..

This is one way to weed through the scammers.

Barbara

41 - 60 of 65 Posts