Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Voicing a little concern,
I see where this thread is being used for discussing issues or problem solving.
Sometimes new members on this thread don't even bother to introduce themselves as well.

I vote to move anything other than introductions to the appropriate threads as we are missing out on discussions relevant to the machine itself.
Am I wrong?

__
Member Introduction Please introduce yourself in here and let us know a little bit about yourself and your ride.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think your spot on. The member intro topics are more of a general discussion of x3 issues. Personally I wish new members would have to post a certain amount before allowed to start topics but that's just me. We can have one general topic of intro and each person doesn't need to start a new one every time. Would cut down on all these redundant topics that have been asked a thousand times. Another forum I'm on has a 100 post min before being allowed to start topics. I would love to see that here.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think your spot on. The member intro topics are more of a general discussion of x3 issues. Personally I wish new members would have to post a certain amount before allowed to start topics but that's just me. We can have one general topic of intro and each person doesn't need to start a new one every time. Would cut down on all these redundant topics that have been asked a thousand times. Another forum I'm on has a 100 post min before being allowed to start topics. I would love to see that here.
I agree, maybe not 100 for this site as it may invite some unneeded trolling, maybe 25-50 however it may teach newbies to use the search function more frequently .

·
Registered
264 Posts
That last comment is a bit general. I am a newbie to this forum yes, but not to forums in general. I can personally attest to using the ever living stuffing out of the search button here on this forum. I do think that member introductions should only be had in the member introduction page also. I think it comes down to the person as an individual. Feel free to look at all of my whopping posts here on this forum and it will be a quick search...but i have done months and months of searching on this forum...even before I bought my machine.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just seems odd that discussions are opened and continued for pages about other topics than "Member Introductions".

It completely defeats the purpose of the thread and created a hodgepodge of discussions.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I agree that member introduction should be just that. Introduce yourself, brag about your new ride and tell us a little about yourself. Get welcomed, etc. Any post that contains anything other than that content should be moved by the moderator. I also agree that new members should not be able to start a thread unless they have posted at least a few times (like they can’t post in the FS/WTB section by rule). Make it something reasonable, like say 10 posts before you can start a thread.

I’ve seen far too many posts lately where a newer member asks a question that has been beaten to death several times over and gets upset when a more “seasoned” member tells them that and suggests using the search to find their answer. Then it becomes an unprofessional exchange of words no one wants to see. Maybe a new member could get an automated message when they sign up with some rules to that effect, as well as a brief tutorial on how to search for topics. That way when a newbie gets flamed on the open forum it is with good reason, and humor of course. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You can always tell the new guy's.
I'm on another forum and very few people do a introduction. Some state their problems, no punctuation, get 3 or 4 long responses, and never log back in again.
Then, yes, the same redundant questions. GTS!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I agree that member introduction should be just that. Introduce yourself, brag about your new ride and tell us a little about yourself. Get welcomed, etc. Any post that contains anything other than that content should be moved by the moderator. I also agree that new members should not be able to start a thread unless they have posted at least a few times (like they can’t post in the FS/WTB section by rule). Make it something reasonable, like say 10 posts before you can start a thread.

I’ve seen far too many posts lately where a newer member asks a question that has been beaten to death several times over and gets upset when a more “seasoned” member tells them that and suggests using the search to find their answer. Then it becomes an unprofessional exchange of words no one wants to see. Maybe a new member could get an automated message when they sign up with some rules to that effect, as well as a brief tutorial on how to search for topics. That way when a newbie gets flamed on the open forum it is with good reason, and humor of course. Just my two cents.
A introduction thread, then a problem thread. 10 posts would be a lot before being allowed to submit their question. And would encourage hijacking other threads. I've seen some people on a forum for a year with less then 5 responses.

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
It all come down to how this forum is policed and organized by the forum owner. The owners do not want to do anything! they just want to leach us for our content and hits to the site which boosts their numbers. Higher traffic means more they can charge for the spam advertising we see. Owners don't really care about us who create the content and very little for the paying site vendors.

·
Registered
2020 MavS Xrc
1,153 Posts
What I see often happen is a new forum member does their first post a new thread topic in other than the new member intro subforum. Subsequently, a forum admin will move that (including any on-topic replies) to this forum. It seems would be ideal (if technically possible) to block a new member's first post anywhere other than this intro subforum. That post wouldn't need to say much, other than "hi, I'm new here and have a Can-Am Maverick". If technically possible, perhaps with pop-up message that first posts should be in the form of a new member intro with subsequent posts enabled in new or active threads in topical subforums.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First post

Welcome!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Voicing a little concern,
I see where this thread is being used for discussing issues or problem solving.
Sometimes new members on this thread don't even bother to introduce themselves as well.

I vote to move anything other than introductions to the appropriate threads as we are missing out on discussions relevant to the machine itself.
Am I wrong?

__
Member Introduction Please introduce yourself in here and let us know a little bit about yourself and your ride.
I think you're fighting a battle you won't win. New members don't come on the forum until they have a problem, then they want help NOW. Some lurk in the background, and again join when they have a problem, then you never hear from them again. If you're gonna join the forum, try to participate in threads you have a interest in or knowledge of....
NO, you're not wrong!

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
It all come down to how this forum is policed and organized by the forum owner. The owners do not want to do anything! they just want to leach us for our content and hits to the site which boosts their numbers. Higher traffic means more they can charge for the spam advertising we see. Owners don't really care about us who create the content and very little for the paying site vendors.
This has become a lot more evident to me over the past couple months. I agree.

On another note, I agree, the intro section is for introductions, not issues. On a similar note, a thread is a string of responses, like this one topic we are in now. A section is where you post threads. The intro section, is a section, not a thread.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not in anyone's best interest to keep a thread going within an introduction that leads to issues unrelated to introducing ones self and their machine.

So much is being missed on specific unrelated topics which seems to be from A-Z here in this section.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How about putting a statement on the Member Introduction section to read before posting, "Please use this for intros only. Post other discussions in appropriate areas" or something to that effect. It would have kept me from making that mistake. I never really been on forums before.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts