Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Honda ATV's (500 Rubicon and 650 Rincon) that are in great shape but 10 years old. I am thinking about selling the ATV's and buying a Side by Side. One of my criteria is to get one with enough HP to run snow tracks. My buddies that i hunt with have snow machines - i do not. if i want to go fast and cover a lot of ground, my KTM 450 XCW definitely is they way to go. I like the versatility of the Polaris Ranger as a friend has one. I really like the Commander and now the Maverick, but I don't think the Maverick will be as versatile. Can-Am seems to be positioning this as a pure sport machine as it has NO place to carry anything except a cooler. I need something to carry Elk quarters/deer, guns, back packs, etc. I think a Commander would be a good option with enough HP for tracks and a rear bed to carry some stuff. I don't think the Ranger can run snow tracks as it probably doesn't have enough HP to run them. I guess i want the versatility of a full size 4x4 pickup but with the zip of a Corvette. Having one machine with tracks could also pose a problem as you could get stranded and nobody could get to you if you are by yourself. I always try to run with a couple other machines just in case one goes down.

I have seen the Razors running around and bottoming out on any rock over 8" (or so it seams) so I don't i would even consider one. I have never owned an Arctic Cat anything so don't know anything about them. The Honda Big Red just seems like Clifford (the big red dog) to me.

Question: What do you guys think would be a good machine to consider? Everyone i know that has a Can-Am anything seems to be very happy. I love my Honda's but don't think Clifford is the right choice for me.

Thanks for your time and I value your opinions/suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is my thoughts--i owned 4 wheelers since 1983 and enjoyed them a lot--i needed something in the mountains that i could take my 4 dogs in--the RZR was worthless--Can Am didnt have anything out yet so i got a 2009 700 Ranger and it was a good machine but still lacked power and not very nimble--enter my new Commander 1000xt--exactly what i wanted--lots of power,good cargo space andexcellent ride and handeling---i have 4000 trouble free miles and have only replaced the belt at 3640 miles--VERY HAPPY---we ride all kinds of terrain--Mountains trails--Moab Rocks and Sand dunes--love this machine---Only mod was Powersteering and thats a must IMO
PS: had a 2007 Can Am 2 up and sold it because i never rode it or missed it after getting a SxS-
MOAB-

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is my thoughts--i owned 4 wheelers since 1983 and enjoyed them a lot--i needed something in the mountains that i could take my 4 dogs in--the RZR was worthless--Can Am didnt have anything out yet so i got a 2009 700 Ranger and it was a good machine but still lacked power and not very nimble--enter my new Commander 1000xt--exactly what i wanted--lots of power,good cargo space andexcellent ride and handeling---i have 4000 trouble free miles and have only replaced the belt at 3640 miles--VERY HAPPY---we ride all kinds of terrain--Mountains trails--Moab Rocks and Sand dunes--love this machine---Only mod was Powersteering and thats a must IMO
PS: had a 2007 Can Am 2 up and sold it because i never rode it or missed it after getting a SxS-
MOAB-

Picks look awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
the rzr's that u seen bottoming out were probably normal rzr's and not the xp. the xp has awesome gc...st

·
Registered
168 Posts
The group I go with has or has had just about every make and type of SxS out there and many different quads too. Commanders, alll the RZRs, several Rhinos, Teryx's and Rangers too, so I am familiar atleast with all of them. They each have thier place and each does some things better than the others. You need to look hard at what you want the machine for, sounds like you would be mostly utility and low end grunt. If that's what I was in the market for I would lok hard at the new Ranger XP 900 machine (not the RZR XP). It has gobs of power and can flat haul some goods. The 800's are just as capable and would probably be a better deal.

just my $.02 worth, hope it helps.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've had a 2009 rzr s and a 2011 rzr xp, both was great machines Im just wanting something that feels completely new to me. Dont get me wrong the 900 rzr has alot more power than the 800 but it dont feel like a new machine, just a really fast rzr lol.. canam fit an finish is no doubt better than the polaris imo. I have my deposit down on a xrs and I cant wait to get it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts