Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob to Can-Am... I am looking pretty seriously at a 2016 Maverick Turbo... You all are the experts, can you tell me what problem areas there are on these machines? This one is in good shape with 160 hours and under 1500 miles. Highlifter A-Arms. What do I need to look for as far as problem areas.
Thank you!
TFB

·
Registered
533 Posts
They're fun machines, but if you can step your budget up a little, the X3 is where it's at! We have a 16 non turbo and a couple 19 X3's. Power aside, the ride quality of the X3 makes it worth the jump over the OG's in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
14,633 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. 2nd the X3, if your budget allows it. Look for a first year 17, not a whole lot of differences between that and the 22. 22 has more hp, reinforced frame, different clutch, different gauge, among the changes, but the 17 is still very similar.

Reactions: tallfarmboy

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
143 Posts
I have a 17 OG, non turbo Maverick. I've been very happy with it. Reliable, decent ride, plenty of power for me. Good luck

Reactions: tallfarmboy

·
Registered
443 Posts
16 turbo is a good rig. Heat in cab and rough ride are the issues with it. They are reliable rigs. But your riding terrain & budget will determine what rig you should get. This gets asked constantly so search and you will find more to read on it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I had a 16 turbo, no heat in the cab for me, I got 1000 out of a belt and it was reliable but the x3 out performs on every level even after having ct raceworx revalve and spring my shocks on the 16
If you're getting a real good deal I say go for it, they are fun fast reliable machines but if the x3 is close in price I would get the x3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greatly appreciate all of your responses. The seller would take 12k for this machine. I'm very tempted to take it, but I am also looking for a machine that I'll be happy with for a long time. This will mainly be a backroad cruiser with an occasional trip to the sand.
Glad that I joined this forum.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
12k isnt bad for that mileage and in this market, the 16 will do everything you want it to do just dont drive an x3 and you'll be fine. I took my buddies x3 out through some whoops and bought one the next week

·
Registered
205 Posts
I started with Mavericks in 2014. I had 2 OGs and now have 2 X3s (a 17 and a 20). The OGs are great fun machines if you are not looking for todays top level performance. As others have said if you can swing it try to step up to an X3. However, its your budget and your expectation that needs to be met. If the OG is what you can afford go for it. Either way if you are new to side by sides you can't go wrong. The most fun I have ever had on 4 wheels.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I think the most important thing here is what’s the price and what do you plan on doing with it ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a noob to Can-Am... I am looking pretty seriously at a 2016 Maverick Turbo... You all are the experts, can you tell me what problem areas there are on these machines? This one is in good shape with 160 hours and under 1500 miles. Highlifter A-Arms. What do I need to look for as far as problem areas.
Thank you!
TFB
I owned a 2016 OG Maverick Max XDS Turbo and it was a great machine while I had it. Yes in the peak of the summer it gets warm in the cab but that was the reason I only had a half windshield. In regards to the the suspension of course and X3 is going to ride better but the OG still rides really good if the suspension is tuned and maintained. To me that thing was a billy goat that just didn't stop no matter what you threw at it.

Sky Tire Wheel Plant Cloud

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
imo the motor in the cab is the problem
if you can take all the HEAT and noise then your better than most
in that price range a rzr is a better deal,

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree on the RZR. I had both at the same time, OG turbo was super fast through the woods but the rzr 1k did everything else better

1 - 18 of 18 Posts