Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All belts no matter who makes them fail if the conditions are not correct and the culprit is heat.

All belts other than the cords used in them are rubber, it has no tensile strength and has no bearing on how strong it is, the cords in it is where the strengh is. Rubber melts no matter what you make it from. Does anyone have any tires they can spin on pavement and not wear them out? No, well why are we asking rubber belts to do this?

So what makes all belts fail? Heat from one of the following conditons.

Keep in mind a totally stock machine with stock tires and riden in a none severe manor the belt will last the longest. Anything outside that the life of it starts cutting down but it can be avoided with proper precautions.

Bigger and heavier than stock tires puts excess load on the engine and clutch, to properly handle this a clutch kit is in order to put the clutching back in proper calibration. Without it the belt will shift out too soon and put a excess load on it and that creates heat.

Clutching, basically for the reason above but also because you ride in the dunes with heavy sand or you and your passenger are heavy people, or you have added a couple hundred pounds of accessories to your machine. You need to reclutch it and the belt will get hotter than normal if you don't.

The use of low range, most people use high range when they should be using low range. Belt temp testing proves there is a huge difference in belt temps when using low range versus high range and less slippage. One in low range you are letting the belt ride higher on the primary and it has more grip there and two the engine is turning more rpm which makes air flow better through the clutch fan and cover. Low is cooler and high when traveling less than 25 mph for extended periods is high heat.

Snorkels, most snorkels restrict air flow but some people get away with it since they just ease around and don't create a bunch of heat to begin with. But the people who go buck wild and have small snorkels will create excess heat and the belt fails or slips.

Binding primaries or secondaries, any time either get dirty they can bind and not let close up like they should and have you hitting the rev limiter at odd ball times and that creates heat.

Wrong clutch kit or wrong calibration. If you have a bad kit or yours set up wrong it creates heat.

Riding style, extreme riding on and off the throttle like racing, riding for hours non stop, riding too slow with little air flow, mud riding, wall climbing etc all create heat. Me personally, I cross country race and I have never ever had a belt failure. I actually ran two seasons on the same belt and won two championships on the same belt, mentioned axles never broke one. Why? Foot control for the most part and having the right set up of clutching, tires etc.

As you can see heat is the issue and it can be prevented by you.

There are some substandard belts and there are some good ones like the Gates C12 Carbon fiber we sell. Before you do anything you have to assume you have a good belt to start off. If you are blowing a OEM belt in a couple hundred miles then simply swapping to this belt will not fix your issue, you have other issues going on that need to be addressed.

What makes the C12 different is the Carbon Fiber belt, it is stronger, it will not birdnest or string when it fails and it wears the clutches out less plus it is less expenisive than a OEM. We have sold hundreds of these with very few issues and all issues point to conditions not workmanship in the belt. Outside the cords in it, it is still a rubber belt and it is suceptable to damage from heat like the rest. If you made a belt that could handle a blow torch then it would not grip the clutches and it would slip all the time.

The reason for this article is to explain to you guys what causes these issues, let you fix them and be able to ride not work on it.

Also I can tell you Gates is constantly working toward newer and better ways to make belts. They have been around for 100 years but only been in the ATV/UTV belt business for a littlle while and they have already gained top position in aftemarket belts with this C12 belt. They will not stop there! I get to personally be involved with this process and test future products so rest assured Gates is in this to stay and so is Hunterworks!!!

Todd

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
this is what the can am oem belts are made from and is stronger then carbonfiber

Zylon

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've always said that heat causes belt failure. I got a question for you Todd, you said the C 12 doesn't Birdsnest then what does it do when it fails? Cause that bird nesting of the strands sucks, and can get wrapped up behind the primary.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Todd, if we are running between 10 and 30 mph you are saying its ok to run in low the whole time?

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Todd, if we are running between 10 and 30 mph you are saying its ok to run in low the whole time?
I have not see how fast the Maverick runs in low yet but yes it is ok to run in low if you are under 25mph the whole time, it would be best. Same as our Brute Force we hunt off of, we use low most all the time

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always said that heat causes belt failure. I got a question for you Todd, you said the C 12 doesn't Birdsnest then what does it do when it fails? Cause that bird nesting of the strands sucks, and can get wrapped up behind the primary.
It's not supposed to, it is supposed to break in pieces but this does not always happen.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Zylon - the strongest man-made fiber in the world - has four extraordinary characteristics:
•Extraordinary tensile strength - it is stronger than steel and twice as strong as Kevlar
•Remarkably high modulus (resistance of fiber to stretch) - also twice as high as Kevlar
•Flame resistance - it will burn only when exposed to atmospheric conditions consisting of at least 68% oxygen, a state that is not naturally encountered in Earth's atmosphere
•Incredible thermal stability - it will decompose only at temperatures in excess of 1470° (780oC)Fahrenheit.

all this and we still can shred one in 350 miles in the dunes lol

Reactions: Clubin

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you think about it, since heat is what kills a belt, then it doesn't matter as much as to what kind of cord material is used. It all comes down to heat and rubber, doesn't it?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
If you think about it, since heat is what kills a belt, then it doesn't matter as much as to what kind of cord material is used. It all comes down to heat and rubber, doesn't it?
well the product still has a rating for temp like zylon Incredible thermal stability - it will decompose only at temperatures in excess of 1470° (780oC)Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well last winter while riding my snowmobile, I took a pit stop and notice some "birdnest" crap in my CVT grille. I decided to open my hood and take a look. My belt cord was coming a part although the rubber itself was worn it wasn't crack or had any signs of coming apart. I was lucky. My belt was probably about to explode in the next few miles. It was a BRP belt that lasted me over 2000 miles.

So if I see any cord damage, I throw the belt out but for the most part I too think its about heat and how much rubber is left on the belt. Most people don't measure the width of the belt and check if it still has service life left. I think, once that belt gets below the minimum width, heat on the rubber goes up and the risk of belt breaking increases IMHO.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another thing the Carbon fiber wears the clutches less, it wears away with the rubber, the zylon does not wear as fast as the rubber so it kinda sticks out if you will and wears the sheaves more. Now don't get excited it ain't much difference but it is one

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have not see how fast the Maverick runs in low yet but yes it is ok to run in low if you are under 25mph the whole time, it would be best. Same as our Brute Force we hunt off of, we use low most all the time
Todd, rode it a couple hrs in low today. 40-42 is where it tops out at about 7000 rpms in stops pulling.if that's all it turns at 40 I will not need high very often, I mite look into the sports low switch but I doubt it.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Todd, rode it a couple hrs in low today. 40-42 is where it tops out at about 7000 rpms in stops pulling.if that's all it turns at 40 I will not need high very often, I mite look into the sports low switch but I doubt it.
Then that is where I would run it anytime I was driving slow for long periods of time

It is even the instructions for the Dalton clutch kit to do this

1 - 19 of 19 Posts