Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

The P0302 Code that will not go away.......

30K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  jknapier 
#1 · (Edited)
I need some insight on here, at this point I am fed up with my machine and how much money i've spent on trying to get this thing running great again. Its a 2016 Maverick XC 1000r.... So here goes....

The machine will start up idle and run fine, but after a minute or two it will kick on the CEL and will follow by shutting off the rear cylinder and going into LIMP HOME MODE. If I run the machine down the road above idle speed the check engine light will go away and stay off until it idles again. There has been a few times where it has came on while i was driving but shut right back off. Also, if I cycle the key when this happens, the limp home message goes away and the check engine light stays on for a few minutes and goes away as well.

Things I have done: Swapped coils with a perfectly running Maverick with no change, unplugged the negative battery terminal for 2 minutes, replaced both spark plugs gapped to .035" per the manual, replaced the #2 cylinder spark plug wire and boot, re-sealed the #2 cylinder intake port at the engine, adjusted the valves on both cylinders and cleaned both injectors.

Things I think it might be but im not sure: possible bad bank #2 o2 Sensor, CVTech Clutch (without the weight installed from CVTech), possible computer problem?

I do have an aftermarket Two Brothers Slip-On exhaust and CVTech Primary clutch with no tuning done to the stock computer. The machine ran fine like this for more than 8 months.

Anything at this point would be helpful. I have always worked on my own machines and always plan to... but this.. this has me stumped. I really don't want to take this thing to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
If I remember correctly there was a guy who had a similar problem I think where one of the wiring harness plugs on side of the engine was kind of tight so it would lose connection and do weird stuff. Check to see if your Harness is pulled tight and causing a bad connection or even chaffing through a wire.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
302 is misfire cyl 2
need to clear the code
use candoo or take it to the stealer
check #2 coil connector for loose wire or almost broken wire

#10 ·
Going to pick up the machine today. The dealer determined the ECU is going bad after swapping injectors front to back and checking all the wiring to the computer. The ECU was sending an intermittent ground to the injector on the #2 cylinder. Looks like i'll be dumping about 530$ for a new one. Got my ride back though!:big smile:

#11 ·
Okay, its been a while since I've been on here since I've been dealing with these guys. So the dealer installed a new computer, put in two new spark plugs, checked the compression (Which was more than good) and adjusted the valves and the machine still misfired on the rear cylinder. They then replaced the rear cylinder injector and still nothing. I'm so mad now. This will be $1600 in work (including what I had done) and still don't have a good running machine. ANY help at this point is appreciated.

#12 · (Edited)
injector....why not the coil?
injector not likely to throw a misfire code

#13 ·
The coil and #2 spark plug wire has already been swapped. The dealer keeps bringing up belts and misfires. Is it really that common to have a belt cause the same cylinder to misfire and go into LIMP HOME MODE. I have installed a CVTech Primary with the weight removed on the back of the clutch. The problem is the machine ran fine without the weight for a year or more. I don't know what else to do at this point.

#20 ·
the sure fix is simple
turn off misfire detection using pv3
you should keep all the old parts, ecu and what ever you paid for
and ride it ..... good luck getting the lemon law buy back
only your attorney will make out going that route

#21 ·
We are having the same problem. It'll start, sputter then die and turn off. No throttle response after started.
We finally took it to a dealer. They said original code was 'low voltage'. We advised them we got a reading of 12.7 on battery, but put battery on charger over night to be sure. Then the battery read 13.5. Still no change in the throttle response, which was none. They they told us possibly it was a throttle sensor, but yesterday they said they are now working with CanAm and still haven't figured it out. They think we may have done something by jumping the car, but it was doing this before we jumped it and it didn't change anything. Anyway, shouldn't we be able to jump the car if the battery was bad? The tech also said the codes came up cleared yesterday but it's still not getting fuel and acting the same way. We've always used 98 percent fuel in all our side by sides and never had a problem. The tank is completely full. Today I'll call them and suggest draining it completely and putting in a different fuel in case it is bad or has water in the bottom.

#22 ·
Dealer finally got the machine to display irradic fuel pressure readings. It was coming and going. Sometimes it was good and sometimes it was low. The fuel pump Turned out to be the problem, the engine would run lean and misfire. The motor had signs of corrosion in it as well like there had been water in the fuel at some point or something. I got rid of this machine a couple years ago now and bought a mav sport. What an upgrade and no problems like my old maverick. Hope this helps someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I've had to replace a few defender harnesses from the pedal that runs back to the ecm, due to the fact they use the same length harness on 2 seater and 4 seater, and just wad up the extra on the 2 seater, and ended up with broken wires. And I've repaired a few pedal harness plugs on the defender maverick sport and trail where they've broke before the plug at the pedal, just a few things. I was able to pin point the voltage from the pedal to the ecm wasn't correct with buds.

#28 · (Edited)
if you have a pv3 ( most non RR cars )
you scroll thru the menu and turn it off
under SYSTEM/MISFIRE MONITOR/TIME
set to zero. yes its that simple
then you have to flash the tune to your car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.