• Valvoline

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Castrol

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Pensoil

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Whatever is on sale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Royal Purple/Amsoil/Mobil One (any one of these)

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • Other (please state which in this thread)

Votes: 35 11.9%

• Total voters
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just discovered something to save money on filters. Many may know this, but thought I would pass infomration along.

On RM website if you get OEM filter through the general website it costs $13.27. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1686/78933/Can-Am-OEM-Oil-Filter?v=15334

But if you go through the OEM section the filter only costs $7.79. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/34.

For the ones who just by the BRP kit this may not make a difference, but for those who prefer to run the oil of their choice it could save some coin!

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I’ve got the same oil pump but have used it for oil change on the X3. How much residual oils is left ya think? Do you still take off the oil drain plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he is getting almost 4 quarts out it is doing a better job than the drain plugs do. When I remove both I only get 3 to 3.5 quarts out. If he is getting 4, especially if that is not including the oil filter plug then you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I noticed in the survey zero people that voted used Valvoline. Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil comes in the recommended viscosity in the owners manual and meets the API classification SM. Some of the others either don't meet the proper API Classification or aren't available in the recommended viscosity. Has anyone used this stuff?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-SynPower-Motor-Oil/17130344#about-item

I use it because it is easy to get. I change my oil after every weekend ride. It comes out gold as in gold perfection. If I go two weekend rides it comes out black and used up looking. Started doing this after talking to an rzr guy who has 20k (rented miles) on three different cars. A few hundred in oil over lifetime of car or thousands on engine rebuild. Just my two cents

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I use it because it is easy to get. I change my oil after every weekend ride. It comes out gold as in gold perfection. If I go two weekend rides it comes out black and used up looking. Started doing this after talking to an rzr guy who has 20k (rented miles) on three different cars. A few hundred in oil over lifetime of car or thousands on engine rebuild. Just my two cents
So you change your oil every weekend; how many miles approximately would you say you rode before the oil change and do you change the filter as well or just the oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone ever actually done any looking and seen who manufactures BRP motor oil? im pretty sure BRP doesn't have a oil refinery and manufacture there motor oil? id like to know who makes it and what is actually in that bottle and see where it stacks up on that psi wear protection. I was surprised how low RP was on that ranking.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My next oil change I am going to send my oil sample off to be tested. I have also considered just pulling out the 3oz sample about halfway what I feel is a good interval for change. I know everyone says cheap ins. to change oil all the time, but is it really of value?

Has anyone ever sent off a sample and had it tested to see how their oil actually is holding up? Just curious to compare results.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Has anyone ever actually done any looking and seen who manufactures BRP motor oil? im pretty sure BRP doesn't have a oil refinery and manufacture there motor oil? id like to know who makes it and what is actually in that bottle and see where it stacks up on that psi wear protection. I was surprised how low RP was on that ranking.
I do not have hard facts but it looks like maybe castrol.

https://www.oil-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great choice, IMO. I run T6 in everything.
I run that in my Ecoboost, but was leery of using it in the X3 because it doesn't meet the engine specs in case I ever have to play the warranty game. Thoughts? To the OP, I did DOA on my truck several times and that's why I ended up using T6 as I needed to address fuel contamination, so it depends on what ur looking for.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
I run that in my Ecoboost, but was leery of using it in the X3 because it doesn't meet the engine specs in case I ever have to play the warranty game. Thoughts? To the OP, I did DOA on my truck several times and that's why I ended up using T6 as I needed to address fuel contamination, so it depends on what ur looking for.
I run T6 in everything. My friend, the best engine builder in the Southwest, with clients all over the world, John Dyer of Racer's Edge recommends it in all his engines. He has worked on everything I have, or have owned. I normally change my oil after every trip, but my trips are 14 days long, and anywhere from 500 - 1000 miles. The oil comes out as gold as it went in. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, it shouldn't matter, IMO.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I run T6 in everything. My friend, the best engine builder in the Southwest, with clients all over the world, John Dyer of Racer's Edge recommends it in all his engines. He has worked on everything I have, or have owned. I normally change my oil after every trip, but my trips are 14 days long, and anywhere from 500 - 1000 miles. The oil comes out as gold as it went in. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, it shouldn't matter, IMO.
Have you ever driven his fast rail? He offered to let me take it out years ago but I just couldn't make myself do it. John also does my headwork and although I already ran t6 he made me feel even better about it

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Have you ever driven his fast rail? He offered to let me take it out years ago but I just couldn't make myself do it. John also does my headwork and although I already ran t6 he made me feel even better about it
Yep. But he sold that rail a while ago. John loves Hondas, but they work on everything. Yeah, his porting is "magical"! Funny story, a few years ago I brought a quad down to him to get it fixed, and running right on a Tuesday afternoon. I told I needed it, as I was going to Glamis soon. He said how soon, I said tomorrow afternoon, LOL! It was done the next day, and when I picked it up, I told him I would settle up with him when I got back. He said OK. Not many shops would do that, if any.

·
Registered
584 Posts
No kidding, I posted on the honda site many time that Racers Edge Az has the Best customer service I have ever seen including my suppliers that I spend over 100k per year with. I wanted a web 208/921 cam and he was out he offered to pull one out of a quad as well as a dasa exhaust so I could do some dyno testing.

It was years ago at Dumont at a FSA race when he told me to come by and take it out, it was to busy that weekend and I don't have enough experience in a rail to take it.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts