• Valvoline

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Castrol

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Pensoil

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Whatever is on sale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Royal Purple/Amsoil/Mobil One (any one of these)

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • Other (please state which in this thread)

Votes: 35 11.9%

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
In these little motors who really cares as I have yet to see any failures from bad oil. And most of us sell them off after a season or 2 and buy the next newest model out. So if your a long term owner I guess find your favorite brand of oil and use it.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

Reactions: rotten.applz

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm with warlock to a point, while I have only been in the heavy diesel industry for 10 years, I nor anyone in my shop (one of if not THE highest producing shops in the nation) has seen an oil related failure. yes this is diesel engines, but I feel like keeping the fluids changed on time or early is almost more important that what oil you use as far as the engine goes. diffs and trans' I'm not as confident about saying that.. all that being said, lways good about keeping my oil changed on time and plan on runnin less than the recommended 1000mi oil change... its just over two quarts of oil, that's just not a lot of capacity imo. no matter the oil is gotta be pretty beat up in that time, with what we put our machines through. I run ams oil because for me its easy to get and its cheaper than the can am stuff by a good bit.

·
Vendor
6,217 Posts
I run a little bit of Lucas oil stabilizer in it. I like how sticky it is, I probably put in a quarter of a quart.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Look up Brad Penn oil. I love Zinc

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: quackaddict620

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rotella T6.

It IS SM, SL and SH certified, BTW.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6-full-synthetic/_jcr_content/par/textimage_1335213348.stream/1388525673850/2c4570ceb0dcc96c0e045d7d6f3c7796f77a84ed6a3d6752bb50d245468c48b2/rotella-t6-brochure.pdf

And from the manual:
If XPS engine oil is not available, usea 4-stroke SAE 5W 40 engine oil that
meets or exceeds the requirements
for API service classification SM, SL or
SJ. Always check the API service label
certification on the oil container it must
contain at least one of the above standards.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I noticed in the survey zero people that voted used Valvoline. Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil comes in the recommended viscosity in the owners manual and meets the API classification SM. Some of the others either don't meet the proper API Classification or aren't available in the recommended viscosity. Has anyone used this stuff?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-SynPower-Motor-Oil/17130344#about-item

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been using Rotella T6 in all the dirt bikes since 08 and have yet to encounter an issue. My bikes run upwards of 14,000 RPM's. Engine oil analysis kits are only $20 For those of you who worry.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Can-am engines are tough as heck. Any quality synthetic oil will do. I'm a fan of Rotella T6 but Mobil 1, Amsoil, Castrol, and many others work just fine.

Now in my 900 rzr I had to baby that machine. No matter what I did it would burn oil. Went through 2 factory engines. Piece of junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
584 Posts
Another vote for Rotella T6 have been running Rotella in everything sense 2004 and I was pretty hard on my quad engines

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
And i dont care what you do, short of taking the skid plate off,....you will make a mess. But hey, its DIY fun!
Vacuum pump won't spill a drop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
You put this down the filler tube? How do you know you get all the oil out?
Well when it stops sucking up oil it was almost 4 quarts so I know it was pretty much all done. Works slicker than shit in a lot of my stuff. Nice and clean.

Reactions: rotten.applz

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Well when it stops sucking up oil it was almost 4 quarts so I know it was pretty much all done. Works slicker than shit in a lot of my stuff. Nice and clean.

I’ve got the same oil pump but have used it for oil change on the X3. How much residual oils is left ya think? Do you still take off the oil drain plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 136 Posts