• Valvoline

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Castrol

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Pensoil

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Whatever is on sale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Royal Purple/Amsoil/Mobil One (any one of these)

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • Other (please state which in this thread)

Votes: 35 11.9%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know about Royal Purple oil but if its as bad as there grease, no thank you they make the worst "high temp grease" I have ever seen it ran out of the tubes siting in the tool boxes of my pickup truck. We saw that and knew it would not handle "real high temps" like on the tractor in the real world. Royal Purple is a big circle jerk all talk and no show

·
Registered
244 Posts
I use quaker state 5-30 full syn. Have been for years on all my can ams and no issues...

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Best oil we have found for all of our blown motors and Turbo toys is Brad Penn oil. Best stuff you will ever run.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Pennzoil?
No its not Penzoil lol. Look it up Brad Penn. All of big boat motor builders use it and most of the motors make upwards of 1700 hp and there's not much harder on an engine than boating since its always under a load.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Here is some serious reading so be patient. This is one of the very few testing surveys that are not biased or funded by a manufacture. Dont be mad when you see the results of your favorite oil.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Wow great read everyone should read this article...I read most but not the whole thing but very eye opening...high zink oils are NOT the answer at all and it was surprizing that a good

full synthetic oil and good conventional oil is pretty much on par with each other as for as high temp wear goes.....looks to me like the Pennzoil 5w30 Ultra with the Prolonged Eng Treatment

is the top dog and the 5w30 Castrol GTX with the PET added is right up there with it.....great read thanks for posting this Cales.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
About a year and a half ago I started trying to read up on the newest oils and testing juts to keep up with the times of technology and advanced engineering with oils. Feeling the the biggest thing I could gain was knowledge. What I had found out was that I was very uneducated and that most of the oil tests were sponsored by a manufacture and that the tests were always in favor of the sponsor. After about 10 or 15 surveys I came across this one and it seems to be unbiased and very informative. I'm not saying the guy testing is the know all of oil but definitely knows and understands oils and additives.

after reading the entire write up I felt like I had to at least give the guy some credibility and he sure steps on some manufacturers toes!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Wow great read everyone should read this article...I read most but not the whole thing but very eye opening...high zink oils are NOT the answer at all and it was surprizing that a good

full synthetic oil and good conventional oil is pretty much on par with each other as for as high temp wear goes.....looks to me like the Pennzoil 5w30 Ultra with the Prolonged Eng Treatment

is the top dog and the 5w30 Castrol GTX with the PET added is right up there with it.....great read thanks for posting this Cales.
I pretty much read the same thing. The Pennzoil 5w30 Ultra for our application is the best you can buy even without the Prolonged Engine Treatment. Good read, thanks

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Everyone can read all they want till your eyes blead. Lol.
These little engines are nothing compared to what we have been playing with in the big boats and nothing gets pushed as hard as a big boat motor. 1650 hp or so and Brad Penn oil is it. If it's safe and never fails us in a 100k blown boat motor well its more than good enough for these little things. uploadfromtaptalk1455602311285.jpg

Sent from my Magic Wand!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
100k for 1650 hp? No thanks
No its about 100k per side and so its more like 200k for 3300 Hp. Going fast in big boats costs big money. Always has and always will.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

81 - 100 of 136 Posts