Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Congrats on the race, looks like you kicked some butt out there, sucks about how you got 2nd place but like you mentioned you guys had a great time! Maybe I missed it, how many cars competed in this race?

Pete
There were 9 UTVs in our class I think, and 24 or 25 total counting the modifieds and NA UTVs. 75ish total vehicles. Aside from the stock turbo that beat us by 6 minutes there were 2 modified cars that finished ahead of us. One of those damn near won the whole thing, he was leading everyone after the first day, but that track favored the UTVs since it was so tight and twisty. The unlimited V8 cars were able to catch him on Day 2 on the faster part of the course but I think he still finished 3rd or 4th.

Reactions: sand shark and pgk

Registered
X3 XRS R Triple Black
I had just started racing again and had finished my 1st race. I called home to let them know I was finished and still alive. I had some race issues & I was super pumped to have still gotten second place. My son was about 10 and he just said well you know second is the first loser. Congrats on your finish.

Just starting is the first step congrats 馃憦馃徏 to both you did you do the same race in Bajs or different UTV race

Registered
There were 9 UTVs in our class I think, and 24 or 25 total counting the modifieds and NA UTVs. 75ish total vehicles. Aside from the stock turbo that beat us by 6 minutes there were 2 modified cars that finished ahead of us. One of those damn near won the whole thing, he was leading everyone after the first day, but that track favored the UTVs since it was so tight and twisty. The unlimited V8 cars were able to catch him on Day 2 on the faster part of the course but I think he still finished 3rd or 4th.
Congratulations. I raced jeeps and trucks in Baja from the late 70's through about 2007 and finishing is quite an accomplishment let alone getting on the podium so congrats. I've also seen and recorded a lot of in car stuff and you have that machine dialed! The lack of wheel movement and smoothness is astonishing. Well done and kudo's to your suspension guys!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Got the visco out today after wrestling with a stubborn axle and a frozen pinch bolt. Here is what was behind curtain number 2.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear Motor vehicle Rim

• Wow
Reactions: AZ Off Road

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Wow! Maybe a Halo30 would be warranted for your type of use.
I don't need a locker for what I do. What I need is to prep the thing so the bolts don't come out.

Reactions: Hollywood X3

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Halo makes a non locking diff with an upgraded case and diff.
I see, I think its listed as the Halo 25. In any event, I'm not sure what the advantage is other than the billet case. Seems to me that the only reason the case broke is because the bolts came out. If the bolts come out it doesn't matter what the case is made out of.

Also it looks a little bigger than the stock case (obviously). Which could be a problem because getting the stock diff in and out with all the gussets in place is already as tight as it can possibly get.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I just sent my spare visco to Sandcraft to get it prepped with upgraded bearings, shims, and high-strength safety-wired ring gear bolts. We'll see how it turns out, I'm betting it will be plenty good for my needs. As long as no hard parts need replacing, I'm expecting roughly 600 bucks or so for parts and labor and shipping.

Registered
The safety wire on the ring gear bolts will help out big time. I will be doing the same thing to my car this winter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Here's a short video showing the UTVs at NORRA. Its a great way to break into racing in Baja if anyone is interested.

Edit: Not sure if you need FB to see it or not, my apologies for the format

Registered
Got the visco out today after wrestling with a stubborn axle and a frozen pinch bolt. Here is what was behind curtain number 2.
View attachment 273252
That is what happen to mine. Except the bolts went through the case. Time to upgrade to the Smart lock.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts