Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend we raced the NORRA 500 out of Ensenada. Had a total blast.

I was a little worried about how the car would hold up because it has so many miles on it.....started the race with over 12,000 on the odo. I did a pretty extensive crack check on the frame beforehand and didn't find anything so I guess all the gussets I put on the car are doing their job.

After the first day, which was 200 miles in the dirt, we were first in class (stock turbo) by a fairly comfortable margin, and 9th overall.

On day 2, which was 300 miles of racing, we got halfway through and found a big crack on top of the front diff (visco lock). All I wanted was to win the race and if we changed the diff we would have been caught, so we just cleaned up the case and put SteelStik on it to stem the leak and added more fluid. I took off in 2wd for the last 150 miles, knowing that I just had to drive easy to stay ahead of the field on time.

Well we accomplished that mission with no problem. I limited our speed quite a bit in the first hour, then checked the diff and saw it was still dry, so we picked it back up to almost normal race pace for the last 80 miles albeit still in 2wd. We crossed the finish line with plenty of room to spare to get the win.

Unfortunately, what we then discovered was that the race officials had made a timing error on one of the cars that was chasing us. The posted times for that car on the first day were incorrect. The result is that we had an hour less lead on them than we were told during the race. The original race results posted with us winning the class and coming in 11th overall. Then later that night they took an hour off of our fastest competitor and he got the win by 6 minutes. Needless to say I'm a bit bummed out today, not only because I wanted that win but because it also came with a bunch of prizes such as wheels, tires, fluids and other stuff. I feel like I was leading a golf tournament on the last hole and decided to play it safe because I had a two stroke lead, only to bogey the hole and then be told that the guy who finished earlier actually was 2 shots better than what the scoreboard said.

Oh well, it was still a blast and really happy with the way the car works. The shocks that were built by Tom Morris and Gary Fries haven't been touched in over 2 years and are still bad ass!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
CONGRATS!!!! Great pics! That 1st one would win any MOTM contest, IMO.

Reactions: Speed Buggy

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats, I hear stories of corrected time more and more lately. It might be a sign to hammer down and try to lap the field and make sure you win.
In any form of racing, knowing where you are in relation to the field is important. Any decent driver can drive even the strongest vehicle hard enough to break it or crash. Pushing harder than necessary for no good reason isn't the way to win a lot of desert races or any other kind of race. If we thought for even a second it was going to be close I would have driven harder because I didn't go down there to get 2nd place. The real gut punch is that the team that won already knew they were going to get their time back so they were able to drive their car accordingly. Its one thing to give yourself some slop to make up for an unexpected speeding penalty or missing a virtual checkpoint or something, its another thing to think you need to win a 12 hour race by over an hour just to make sure that there aren't any surprises.

Reactions: Speed Buggy and NAZ

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Awesome job! Those Norra races look like a blast. Impressive how the Can Am motor keeps going. More impressive your frame is holding up so well.

Did the ring gear bolts back out on the diff?

Reactions: Speed Buggy

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome job! Those Norra races look like a blast. Impressive how the Can Am motor keeps going. More impressive your frame is holding up so well.

Did the ring gear bolts back out on the diff?
Not sure what happened yet. Its still in the car. The crack goes from one side to the other directly across the top of the case. I'd expect that if a ring gear bolt came out that it would have blown a hole in the side of the case.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Not sure what happened yet. Its still in the car. The crack goes from one side to the other directly across the top of the case. I'd expect that if a ring gear bolt came out that it would have blown a hole in the side of the case.
Yep, the ring gear bolts like to exit the side of the case. I have never seen a front diff crack on the top

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
324 Posts
Congratulations. We all set out to win but some of these races, it's indeed an accomplishment just to finish. Good job!

·
Registered
110 Posts
In any form of racing, knowing where you are in relation to the field is important. Any decent driver can drive even the strongest vehicle hard enough to break it or crash. Pushing harder than necessary for no good reason isn't the way to win a lot of desert races or any other kind of race. If we thought for even a second it was going to be close I would have driven harder because I didn't go down there to get 2nd place. The real gut punch is that the team that won already knew they were going to get their time back so they were able to drive their car accordingly. Its one thing to give yourself some slop to make up for an unexpected speeding penalty or missing a virtual checkpoint or something, its another thing to think you need to win a 12 hour race by over an hour just to make sure that there aren't any surprises.
Congratulations but agree that is a gut punch for an hour vs 6 minutes. Did you ask how was it that the corrected 1st place team was informed of the time discrepancy but the rest of the field didn’t know?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations but agree that is a gut punch for an hour vs 6 minutes. Did you ask how was it that the corrected 1st place team was informed of the time discrepancy but the rest of the field didn’t know?
Well the way it happened was that after the Day 1 results were posted, that team went and talked to the race officials to point out the errors that were made (as they should have done). I'm sure the officials told them at that time that the errors would be fixed. In fact, that team had their starting order moved up for Day 2 substantially, however since all this happened behind us, we simply never knew. I did check the start order and the previous days results multiple times on Day 2 to make sure that I knew where we stood, and I specifically looked at those guys because they were the only ones moving at a winning pace. Bottom line, in my opinion of course, is that when the changes were made to that team's time, those changes should have been posted online (which is the only way to view any of this stuff) as soon as the changes were made.

Oh well, complaining about it isn't going to solve anything other than to maybe help ensure it doesn't happen again at another race. I'm just bummed because I felt like we had done what we needed to do to be the fastest car in the race but I guess it didn't work out that way.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well the way it happened was that after the Day 1 results were posted, that team went and talked to the race officials to point out the errors that were made (as they should have done). I'm sure the officials told them at that time that the errors would be fixed. In fact, that team had their starting order moved up for Day 2 substantially, however since all this happened behind us, we simply never knew. I did check the start order and the previous days results multiple times on Day 2 to make sure that I knew where we stood, and I specifically looked at those guys because they were the only ones moving at a winning pace. Bottom line, in my opinion of course, is that when the changes were made to that team's time, those changes should have been posted online (which is the only way to view any of this stuff) as soon as the changes were made.

Oh well, complaining about it isn't going to solve anything other than to maybe help ensure it doesn't happen again at another race. I'm just bummed because I felt like we had done what we needed to do to be the fastest car in the race but I guess it didn't work out that way.
Well congratulations again. Sounds like the team didn’t do anything out of bounds and it’s a NORRA communication problem. Man that looks like the time of your life.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well congratulations again. Sounds like the team didn’t do anything out of bounds and it’s a NORRA communication problem. Man that looks like the time of your life.
Its always fun, this was my 7th NORRA race and I've raced SCORE a lot of times. Its funny though because even though these races are supposed to just be fun, everybody's fangs still come out trying to be the fastest guy lol. Even though I've already got 2 wins, I wanted a hat trick. I guess it never enough haha. I suppose if it were any different I wouldn't bother with the time and effort to even enter.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The race director is a good dude and he realizes that the whole situation sucks. The problem is just one of logistics. The results aren't posted of the day, and the subsequent starting order for the next day, aren't posted until later at night and they've had a chance to tabulate everything. So if they made a mistake, the team doesn't know it until that night or the next morning. Which means its hard to let the other teams know that there is a mistake. I guess its just the "rub of the green" to use a golf term. I don't like to complain too much unless I have a solution to a problem. I guess I would suggest that when such errors are known, they should be entered and uploaded online ASAP and possibly an alert sent out, but I'm not privy to the inner workings of how the admin is set up. Frankly it just would have been better if we simply hadn't know any information about the other teams and just raced off of guesswork. But generally, that isn't how desert racing is set up....everybody is always keeping tabs on everybody else. At the end of the day its all for fun and we had fun. And I'm satisfied that we know how to build and drive a fast car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats on the race, looks like you kicked some butt out there, sucks about how you got 2nd place but like you mentioned you guys had a great time! Maybe I missed it, how many cars competed in this race?

Pete

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had just started racing again and had finished my 1st race. I called home to let them know I was finished and still alive. I had some race issues & I was super pumped to have still gotten second place. My son was about 10 and he just said well you know second is the first loser. Congrats on your finish.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts