Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

581 - 600 of 631 Posts
435 Posts
Well got the ass end all buttoned up tonight. Well besides trimming the one hose clamp, and lowering the suspension. With all the weight I've pulled off she's sitting at 20" of clearence ?. Swapped my old fuel pump and sending unit out as well as the pump rewire kit. Tested fuel pressure, set correctly at 78psi. Been chasing a lean issue at idle since the wreck, swapped a ton of stuff out chasing it so far. Won't throw any codes but goes into mid 16.5's and starts is misfire. Compression is good, and electrical seems good. Hoping I've got it sorted with the new fuel pump and housing and testing pressure. Also a little gem of knowledge from the Tuning Genius himself Mr. Whalen explaining to my dense brain how important correct fuel pressure is.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Not a horrible idea but not sure i like the idea of making a hole in the filter. Guess you could us silicone to seal it back up but might try a hose clamp and a bracket.
Some rubber washers or orings on either side with nyloc nut would be they way to go. Anything outside will rattle and wear through the expensive outerwear.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I like it. Brings me back to my quad days with the fuel customs intake. Killer set up for the sand.

2018.5 X3 Max XRS // Grove Fabworks, Aftermarket Assassins, Dynojet, CT front end, CA Tech, UMP, HSP, Rugged, Sandcraft, Running Whalen Speed 205

435 Posts
If you could find a filter with a 2 3/8" inlet you could bolt it right on the turbo. This one is a 3" so had to use a reducer, that adds some length to it and increases the amount if moves. Couple zip ties and off the the plumbing section today to see if i can find something to hold the end. The more air you can get in front of the turbo the better off you are, not just for HP but for throttle response as well. This is where i noticed the UMP hurt me the most even on the 240 kit. I only ran it once at Glamis but noticed it killed throttle response right off the bat. On the stock turbo I don't think you'd have the issue and it's hard to beat the filtration of the Donaldson filter. The other thing that can happen and does happen more often than most think is the restriction causing the turbo to have to work harder to try and keep up with what the ecu is commanding boost wise. This causes the turbo to usually over spin/over rpm and sometimes pulls it out of it's efficiency range. This over spinning causes the turbo to produce hotter air, and can also push oil past the seal and leak into the intercooler and charge tubes. WIll eventually kill the turbo and could also take out the engine if parts of the inducer get into the engine from the turbo coming apart or seizing.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Can you not play with some throttle response with tuning as well? Or are you past that?

Example, AA's tunes have wicked throttle response. We've talked about this, it's almost to much. Sometimes I do miss it though when in the dunes. It just sucked when trying to cruise and hover your foot, it was so sensitive.

2018.5 X3 Max XRS // Grove Fabworks, Aftermarket Assassins, Dynojet, CT front end, CA Tech, UMP, HSP, Rugged, Sandcraft, Running Whalen Speed 205

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Can you not play with some throttle response with tuning as well? Or are you past that?

Example, AA's tunes have wicked throttle response. We've talked about this, it's almost to much. Sometimes I do miss it though when in the dunes. It just sucked when trying to cruise and hover your foot, it was so sensitive.

Pedal Commander lets you adjust on the fly from 36 different positions or stock. I have been running one this dune season and its awesome to be able to blip the throttle when you want to lighten the front end or turn the car.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts

I have AA tunes and in sport mode yes it’s super sensitive and fun to drive. When I want much smoother and linear throttle control eco mode provides this and makes it much more controllable. I really like that feature on AA’s tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

435 Posts

A lot of it is the size of the XR42, 18mm larger inducer over the stock turbo and 13mm over the last turbo. I've ran AA tunes and the throttle sensitivity is a bit to much for me. They feel like your 3/4 - full throttle really quick and then the top end doesn't feel that strong. While some like this type it just doesn't fit how I drive. I'm talking about response from the time you give it throttle until the car reacts to the input. With the restriction/less air to the turbo it takes longer for it to spool and make the go juice needed sometimes. But like I said the larger turbo has some factor in this also, It's not like there's nothing and then it all hits like a 2 stroke. It feels more linear like John's tunes just a little slower to react.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have AA tunes and in sport mode yes it’s super sensitive and fun to drive. When I want much smoother and linear throttle control eco mode provides this and makes it much more controllable. I really like that feature on AA’s tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep that's what I would do as well. I'll have to look into that Pedal Commander Mega mentioned. I would try AA's E85 tune but I like that on John's you can switch to 91 and run his 180 tune without changing any parts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you could find a filter with a 2 3/8" inlet you could bolt it right on the turbo. This one is a 3" so had to use a reducer, that adds some length to it and increases the amount if moves. Couple zip ties and off the the plumbing section today to see if i can find something to hold the end. The more air you can get in front of the turbo the better off you are, not just for HP but for throttle response as well. This is where i noticed the UMP hurt me the most even on the 240 kit. I only ran it once at Glamis but noticed it killed throttle response right off the bat. On the stock turbo I don't think you'd have the issue and it's hard to beat the filtration of the Donaldson filter. The other thing that can happen and does happen more often than most think is the restriction causing the turbo to have to work harder to try and keep up with what the ecu is commanding boost wise. This causes the turbo to usually over spin/over rpm and sometimes pulls it out of it's efficiency range. This over spinning causes the turbo to produce hotter air, and can also push oil past the seal and leak into the intercooler and charge tubes. WIll eventually kill the turbo and could also take out the engine if parts of the inducer get into the engine from the turbo coming apart or seizing.
I have found several K&n filters that have a 2 3/8” (60mm) inlet. How long do you recommend the filter be for proper fitment ?

435 Posts
I’m just not a big fan of flinging sand, dirt, etc directly at the filter...
Actually the filter stays cleaner there then it does up in the intake box behind your head like most aftermarket intakes mount. Here's a few pics of the filter after a very dusty trip at Dumont for 5 days. Obviously this wouldn't work for the water guys or the mud guys but it works for desert or dunes. Also the filter sits pretty far in from the tire throw pattern so not a lot get thrown at it.

581 - 600 of 631 Posts