Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Just watched a new episode of Shock Therapy Live (actually from last week already) and, after taking much input from S.T. subscribers & followers, Justin (S.T. head Honcho) officially declared that "UTV" best describes the broad range of side by side vehicles (like the Maverick)! But.. much like myself, he refuses to say UTV because its such an awkward phrase to say, especially given the many times a day somebody in the SXS industry, like Justin, has to say it!

FYI: my own personal bitch about using 'UTV' is that rides like the Maverick are Sport Vehicles & not necessarily Utility Vehicles so,.. that descriptive moniker is both inaccurate & inappropriate for peeps like us who own Mavericks! Sorry Justin.

Not to make this all about Justin but (actually, he did start this conversation) Justin also believes that something better that appropriately describes ALL Side by Side vehicles is still out there, & until it is discovered he will be calling them 'Cars'!

C'mon Justin! What do people think about when someone says CAR? Eh??
And not fer nuttin Bionicman, but when someone says 'Bitch' I need to know which one of my exes they're referring too!馃榾

Premium Member
2018 Maverick X3 XRC Turbo R
UTV can certainly describe Side by Sides but it is both awkward to say & the 'U' in UTV stands for 'Utility' (ok, maybe both the U & the T stand for utility in this case) but, my point here is that machines like the Maverick are intended as Sport machines & not necessarily Utility Vehicles. And besides, UTV does not quickly roll off the tongue.
This needs some clarification. ATV = All Terrain Vehicle, UTV = Unlimited Terrain Vehicle. Therefore I think the name fits very well. I can go anywhere on mine. I've always referred to mine as a "poor man's sand rail."

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
This needs some clarification. ATV = All Terrain Vehicle, UTV = Unlimited Terrain Vehicle. Therefore I think the name fits very well. I can go anywhere on mine. I've always referred to mine as a "poor man's sand rail."
While I like your way of thinking here, it's just not how UTV came about to being used. In the beginning most UTV's really sucked for hard trail riding or banging dunes and, most were designed to move things around whether a load of wood or dirt, or equipment of some sort. There simply was no Sport UTV when the term UTV was coined.

While the first generations that established the UTV name might have tried to go anywhere, they certainly left a vast amount of room for improvement & were no competition for most ATV's of that era. Thankfully we've come a long long way since then.

Now, If we could only delete & forget about UTV originating to describe Utility Vehicles & apply your Unlimited Terrain Vehicle definition it would definitely describe us X3 riders perfectly, no doubt about it!

Here's a link from a 2019 ATV.com article that answers the question.. 'What Does UTV Stand For'.
What is a UTV? - ATV.com

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
We also use 'buggy'.

What about 'Mav' ?
Ya, I think it's more about typing on a computer/laptop verses doing things on a cell phone. One usually involves being comfortable & having time VS the other more than likely involving multitasking or being rushed when engaging.

I certainly do have more time when sitting on my couch perusing my laptop compared to being out of the house doing something & perusing my cellphone.

I've noticed the difference in every forum.

Registered
I still call it
Rhino - kinda stuck from the Yamaha rhino days

and I use Rally - let鈥檚 go rally the rhinos....

kind of like Roller Blades is the name of in line skates....

Reactions: Mountain-Maverick

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
That's great! But now I gotta know what strangers say when you tell them you were riding your Rhino over the weekend?? lol Yee Haw!! Ride 'em Rhino!

Premium Member
Just watched a new episode of Shock Therapy Live (actually from last week already) and, after taking much input from S.T. subscribers & followers, Justin (S.T. head Honcho) officially declared that "UTV" best describes the broad range of side by side vehicles (like the Maverick)! But.. much like myself, he refuses to say UTV because its such an awkward phrase to say, especially given the many times a day somebody in the SXS industry, like Justin, has to say it!

FYI: my own personal bitch about using 'UTV' is that rides like the Maverick are Sport Vehicles & not necessarily Utility Vehicles so,.. that descriptive moniker is both inaccurate & inappropriate for peeps like us who own Mavericks! Sorry Justin.

Not to make this all about Justin but (actually, he did start this conversation) Justin also believes that something better that appropriately describes ALL Side by Side vehicles is still out there, & until it is discovered he will be calling them 'Cars'!

C'mon Justin! What do people think about when someone says CAR? Eh??
And not fer nuttin Bionicman, but when someone says 'Bitch' I need to know which one of my exes they're referring too!
I like the name DRV.. DualSport Recreational Vehicle... it covers multiple units and there purpose..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
That's great! But now I gotta know what strangers say when you tell them you were riding your Rhino over the weekend?? lol Yee Haw!! Ride 'em Rhino!
i usually say we are off roaders And like to get dirty!
we have multiple off road vehicles, 2 jeeps, 3 dirt bikes, 2 quads and the can am - Rhino!

Registered
I call it an "offroad car" to friends and family who wouldn't know what it was. (I hate when I have to resort to calling it a RZR because people don't get what a Can-Am or Maverick is!!!)

Reactions: HPnMORE4J
21 - 35 of 35 Posts