Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I know....I have been saying I was going to put something together chronicling our build of our 2013 Can Am Factory race Maverick. Well here's my start... I wish i could have put something out sooner but the last couple of weeks have been 7-4 at my daytime job and 5-till the wee hours (1-2am) most everyday for the 10 days leading up to the Mint 400 last Saturday. Now in recovery mode..and trying to sort some of the pics so I make some sense here. This is our second race build, we built a Commander 2 years ago and made so many mistakes (it was the heaviest car in our class) but learned an immense amount as well...this time is going to be light light light and strong. We were also aiming to build the car so the mechanicals, electrical's were easily accessible and so forth..also trying to keep tools and spare parts easy to get to..something that was a pain in the Commander.

So, to start the Mav was gutted down to its main frame that supports the motor,trans and suspension points. The main cage is built from 4130 tubing for strength and lightness

IMAG1323.jpg

We then start laying out the main hoops of the cage

IMAG1326.jpg

trying to find where to tie in the cage to the factory frame (which is required by the rules to keep) also all suspension points must be in the stock locations.

IMAG1327.jpg

Now to jump way ahead in the cars construction... and not very good pics, hears with the main cage completed...and the initiall placement of the fuel cell (16 gal Jazz)

IMAG1358.jpg
IMAG1357.jpg
IMAG1356.jpg
IMAG1355.jpg

Here are some shots from the rear....

IMAG1361.jpg
IMAG1360.jpg
IMAG1359.jpg

Here's a few shots as the aluminum starts to go on

IMG_9665.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg

We starting fitting the new Muzzy exhaust system...since ours was custom to our race car, we had to make a few adjustments but it went in smooth without a problem...
exhaust 1.jpg
exhaust 2.jpg
exhaust 3.jpg
muzzy 1.jpg
muzzy 4.jpg
muzzy cans.jpg

Ok... thats a start... a lot more to come!

Reactions: CrazyCooter

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Beautiful car and great work, I look forward to seeing more. You desert guys have to build a little bit different vehicle than us east coast woods racers. What did your final weight end up being?
Alex

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice build....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful car and great work, I look forward to seeing more. You desert guys have to build a little bit different vehicle than us east coast woods racers. What did your final weight end up being?
Alex
Lets just say we were aiming for 1600lbs...and we are close give or take a few pounds

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
1600 pounds is very respectable because I'm assuming your commander was pushing 2k. My old Teryx that I raced was 1600 with no spare tire and no where near the stuff you guys run. How many tires are you running with and did you add any weight to the front?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Our Commander was just a few pounds over 2k...that was with a couple of spares and a full fuel cell (16 gals) so huge improvement in the wieght and toughness department.. you see in a number of pics that we ran 2 spares (especially in Vegas to Reno as the pits are sometimes over 75 miles apart) and we ran the first race with the Maverick with 2...but the GBC Mongrels have proved to really tough so no worries there...we were not sure about the rims (we are not running bead lock 15"s YET but hopefully soon!) I think from here in we only be running 1 tire on the rear... many more pics of the build to come shortly! We intentionally kept the front end as light as possible as its very beneficial to keep the front end light in the whoops...we do have a oil cooler, siren and some lights mounted up front...but that's it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So Im am catching up with work some...and wanted to get a few more pics up...

So we wanted to get some idea how it was going to look with the hood on...I like!
030.jpg

Here we just added the UTV inc front gusset- sure we have a full tube cage built car but honestly...you find a better way to provide much needed structural integrity than using these pre-made gussets front and rear from UTV inc... they came power-coated and fit perfectly.

front gusset 2.jpg

And the rear is just as nice but we had to cut a bit away to fit it with our custom cage

Since no one has come out with a heavier duty spindle yet for the Maverick/Commander We take the stock spindles and reinforced with chomolly bands to add strength in the weakest part of the spindle...so far so good!

Spindle 1.jpg
spindle2.jpg
spindle 3.jpg

We also of course added power steering form Wicked Bilt.. since its a custom cage without any of the stock locations...had to do a little custom fab but not a big deal

Wicked PS 1.jpg
Wicked PS 2.jpg

We are also very concerned with CVT temps and so have added a Air blower under the Drivers seat that blows air into the CVT cover directly. Here is the first look at the CVT cover with our hole made.

IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0613.jpg

Here is the blower mounted and attached to the CVT cover via 3.5 aluminum tube that detaches in seconds

cvtblower.jpg
CVT Blower 6..jpg

Out with the old (stock suspension) and in with the new HCR Racing suspension... 4+ on each side (8 inches wider now) plus adds 1 " forward and 2" rearward to made the wheelbase 3" longer
048.jpg
HCR fitment 1.jpg
HCR fitment 2.jpg
HCR fitment 3.jpg
HCR fitment 4.jpg
HCR fitment 5.jpg
058.jpg

Now we replace (the very capable but not quite capable enough for us) Fox's with Kings 2.5's

060.jpg
070.jpg
066.jpg

Here's a shot from the front showing the Kings (we later moved the resevoirs to be more accessable with the hood one)...placement of our front Oil Cooler (between to two shock towers)

082.jpg

And now with the hood on...you can see the 2 Rigid 10"(amber) dust lights on the push bar and the front part of the Factory UTV Skips on the lower part of the push bar

Mav build w lights blower.jpg
084.jpg

Here's another shot of my Co-driver and the main main in building this rig...Jon Bristol of Bristol Performance..he's put all the electrical just under the pop off hood...super easy access and yes it's all as water resistant as you can get it...Jons a stickler for details and especially the Marine grade wiring.

089.jpg

Ok... so we finished the car at 4am on Wednesday morning...basically 10 straight 18 hr days to get it finished in time to get to the Mint 400- ready to load her up and now I drive 9 straight hrs to Barstow to start Tuning the shocks with King...the saga continues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts