Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to say we have no pictures but here's the story. On Sat March 15 we were playing in the sand at Winchester Bay with my new Xxc (300 miles) and I did something I thought I was smart enough to know better, I climbed to within 20ft of a 200+ dune, couldn't make it, lost almost all of my momentum then tried for a u turn and rolled sideways to the bottom. It was a rough ride to say the least. I'm sure glad we were in the Maverick instead of our RZR with its wimpy roll cage because in spite of a terrific pounding you can't find where the cage deflected at all. What did break was the right front tie rod and the outside right cv. With all that though I was able to drive it about two miles to the staging area. Pretty tough machine IMO. The Albany Oregon Can Am shop has a $9300 estimate predicated on whether the frame needs replacing. Now for our injuries. My girlfriend's right forearm was broken rather badly with both bones ripping her skin open from elbow to wrist, not a pretty picture but after two and a half hours surgery, two plates, twelve screws and seventy yes seventy staples she's doing pretty well. Our four point harnesses held us in better than the OEM belts would have, I think, but still my whole left trunk is a giant bruise. My only real issue afterward was when admitted to the hospital my bp was only 75/51 due to shock but an iv solution brought that up in a few hours and I was released with my girlfriend being held for two days. At 67 and 72 we don't recover that fast but we will ride again in a few months.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Holy crap bud. You should count your blessings sounds like. Glad to hear it wasn't much worse. People always over look safety to get the bling first. Glad you got the 4 points. Could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
I try not to put myself in a situation like that, even still a harness bar and two 4 points were the first purchases I made. Safety first! Glad you guys are ok

·
Registered
274 Posts
DAMN... Glad to hear you are all okay... I ride my Maverick at Winchester all the time... I'm guessing the SAND must have been pretty soft and fluffy that time of the year... U running paddles?

Curious as to which dune it was.. 2miles from camp I'm guessing Comp hill? (2nd or 3rd dune from the end One of the tallest ones?)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sorry to hear about the injuries but damn, you guys are lucky your not dead. Lesson learned I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
glade ur ok man that's my worse fear always climbing a huge hill and half to turn around ,

ride safe and keep up the hard work and good recovery !

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
And I thought I had a crazy weekend. Good to hear, you're both doing good now. Don't let this keep you away from the dunes though!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story, it is a good thing to be reminded that stuff like that can happen. Get well soon and then get back on that horse. Best wishes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Glad you both are going to be ok in the end and you are going to get back on the horse. Hope for a quick recovery.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow, glad you guys had the right safety gear, or it could have been much worse. Sounds like you two will be back at it in no time :)

First thing I always tell a new passenger -
"we never anticipate a roll over, but in the event of one, cross your arms and hold on to the harnesses"

Luckly, my rhino had never rolled, but had been on its side twice, I was only responsible for one of the times.

as for plates, screws and such - in 2007, I got off my KTM 525 at 49.7 MPH (GPS)
got the airlift to the hospital where I enjoyed 4 days there while they rebuilt my arm - 2 plates, 17 screws, 6 months physical therapy.
7 broken ribs, and other fun stuff like a concussion, and numberous cuts and bruises.

This is why I so strongly recommend the proper harness for these things and riding gear for bikes/quads - life can change in the blink of an eye, and you don't dress for the ride, you dress for the crash.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm 67 years old and know what you are going through. Best of luck to you and girl friend.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Wow...glad all is doing well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terrible to hear this happened but glad you were able to tell the story. Glad you both will recover from this.....Safety first!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Happy to hear that it was a positive outcome in the end.. A happy healthy and speedy recovery wishes headed both your way..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
State Farm told me today that it looks like they will likely total. Any thoughts on how much a machine with about 25 hours and 350 miles would be worth?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yikes Gerry. I'm sorry to hear about your injuries. But also glad the prognosis is reasonably good for your recovery.

I'll be taking my Maverick to Florence and Winchester soon. I don't have a lot of experience at the dunes so hearing about your experience will keep me grounded in reality as far as what these things can and can't do.

Safe riding!

Adam

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll be taking my Maverick to Florence and Winchester soon. I don't have a lot of experience at the dunes so hearing about your experience will keep me grounded in reality as far as what these things can and can't do.

Safe riding!

Adam[/QUOTE]

I must admit in the 21 years I've ridden Winchester I always knew that it was the most interesting and challenging of the Oregon dunes but also had probably the most potential for getting hurt. What I did was what I always instructed the newbies not to do, namely if going less than 8-10mph on a steep dune and can't make it stop and back down. Just poor judgment on my part. While we like to ride all the central Oregon dunes, Winchester is still our favorite but next time I will try to use my head more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts