Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had been reported that the Rackzilla in race conditions wears the inner tie rods out quickly. After some fact finding the stock rack does the same thing. Apparently the stock suspension travels more than the tie rods on either rack do.

Unisteer is sending us one of the new racks with the high articulation inner tie rod ends to hopefully eliminate this issue.

My rack will be here in about two weeks.

I have personal experience with the Rackzilla and have had one for five years on a rhino that we won two cross country racing championships on and have sold hundreds with no issues.

I really like dealing with Unisteer, they address the problems head on and their products are American made and high quality.

Todd

·
Registered
791 Posts
Stock rack is also made by unisteer. I wonder if they will replace the inner joints for customers like myself who have already purchased a rackzilla.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock rack is also made by unisteer. I wonder if they will replace the inner joints for customers like myself who have already purchased a rackzilla.
That I don't know, I assume and only assume if you have the issue while in warranty period they would. But only Unisteer can answer that. I think they only have a bout 40 out there right now.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You said celvis not clevis so I was not sure.

Anyway, I have no idea what they are doing, have not seen it but I would not want what is the picture. Another company uses that has nothing but trouble, that joint in the picture appears to have very limited travel. The joints go out too.

Todd

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
All joints go out at some point no matter what they are. This will not have limited travel if the joint pivots vertically, the tie rod does not swing forward or backward enough to cause anything to bind so we're safe there. We use the rod end and clevis setup on 4-7,000 pound vehicles with 40" tires and full hydro because nothing else will survive so I'm not sure how the other company is having issues to be honest but anything can be done wrong. It has it's advantages along with disadvantages but I think in this instance, especially with the current problems that they have it will be a better setup. Also since we're one of the companies that builds tie rods I can tell you the two that we've had in the shop do not bind the factory inner tie rod at full droop and my inners do not have any play in race conditions. I'm curious on what they'll be sending out but I trust that it will address the issue in full.

They spoke of doing a clevis like in the picture above but never had a final answer. Seems like we're due a set along with you so we'll know very quick if they will withstand racing conditions.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All joints go out at some point no matter what they are. This will not have limited travel if the joint pivots vertically, the tie rod does not swing forward or backward enough to cause anything to bind so we're safe there. We use the rod end and clevis setup on 4-7,000 pound vehicles with 40" tires and full hydro because nothing else will survive so I'm not sure how the other company is having issues to be honest but anything can be done wrong. It has it's advantages along with disadvantages but I think in this instance, especially with the current problems that they have it will be a better setup. Also since we're one of the companies that builds tie rods I can tell you the two that we've had in the shop do not bind the factory inner tie rod at full droop and my inners do not have any play in race conditions. I'm curious on what they'll be sending out but I trust that it will address the issue in full.

They spoke of doing a clevis like in the picture above but never had a final answer. Seems like we're due a set along with you so we'll know very quick if they will withstand racing conditions.
I was just going off the pic you posted, the rack must be sideways.

The XP guys buy heavy duty aftermarket rear rods with heims, they wear out quickly compared to stock. Everything has its limitations and uses.

I can't tell you much at this point, just saying they did something about it and we are going to get to test it.

Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts