Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the purpose of the small secondary spring on top of the rear shocks of the Max? It's on both the base model and the XRS. It looks like a helper spring, but I don't see the rear coil coming loose from full extension. Or does it work as some kind of spacer...?
Any thoughts?

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Also from a pure performance go fast standpoint the tender slows down the rebound at the last couple inches of extension so they aren't the most desired thing in the world to have but I understand why they did it. I haven't heard anything negative enough with the Max suspension to justify a suspension package.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also from a pure performance go fast standpoint the tender slows down the rebound at the last couple inches of extension so they aren't the most desired thing in the world to have but I understand why they did it. I haven't heard anything negative enough with the Max suspension to justify a suspension package.
Thanks for your reply, I was just wondering why they did that. I found this image somewhere else in the forum and got me wondering about the helper spring.
In this pic. the shock is fully extended and yet the helper spring seems to be fully compressed.
With all the different Maverick models coming out, I think we're going to see a lot of mix and match pieces between models.

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379941522.078533.jpg

This is a Jeep that I built a couple years back. If you zoom in you can see that same small tender spring up top and see what's its job is.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
That is our max, the tender spring is for soaking up the small bumps and we need to adjust the collars up so its not compressed just sitting there.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for your reply, I was just wondering why they did that. I found this image somewhere else in the forum and got me wondering about the helper spring.
In this pic. the shock is fully extended and yet the helper spring seems to be fully compressed.
With all the different Maverick models coming out, I think we're going to see a lot of mix and match pieces between models.
Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I need some answers here..... :) So what is that little compressed spring? Is it a tender or helper spring? And......is it supposed to be fully compressed even when the shock is fully extended? I need to double check, but when my shock is fully extended, I'm pretty sure that little spring is still fully compressed. If that's the case, can I adjust it? This little dammit is driving me nuts! :)

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
It's technically a helper but I refer to it as a tender pretty often. A tender is technically the upper spring in a dual rate setup.
The helper does not extend when the suspension is at full droop. It has absolutely no reason to be there unless you lower the vehicle some much that it would otherwise give the coil a chance to unseat at full droop

·
Registered
223 Posts
Strange, so what should we do with it? Leave it alone or take it off? I've wondered about this for a while too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Strange, so what should we do with it? Leave it alone or take it off? I've wondered about this for a while too.
if anyone has taken these off of theyre max and just has them sitting around, id like to throw them on my base 2 seater with a rear seat setup and see if it will help with the compression and rebound. i brought up this subject last month and about the only response i got was from areed and he said they were just a spacer, but reading his posts in this thread it seems he said they were a helper or tender...

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
They won't do anything on a 2 seater but compress all the way, it has like a 20 pound spring rate. I can collapse it all the way with my hands

·
Registered
363 Posts
They won't do anything on a 2 seater but compress all the way, it has like a 20 pound spring rate. I can collapse it all the way with my hands

Seems like a freaking waste..... :-/

·
Registered
223 Posts
How about we replace them with a strong enough spring that would make a difference? Areed, you have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Anyone knows why I have a heart and snapper 692 on the bottom of my last post . I didn't put it there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts